Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 12:35 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,895 times

Advertisements

[quote=Jungjohann;51373329]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post

It was noticeable the Hawaiian culture is different than the culture on the mainland. In our short time in our visit we were able to notice; though we were in an American state, it is not fully America.

WE'RE A STATE??? WHEN THE HELL DID THIS HAPPEN??????!! I THOUGHT WE WERE A FRIGGIN TERRITORY!!!!!!!!!

Nobody tells me anything.......................

And the Hawaiian culture is different than on the Mainland, what the hell did you expect?

A state, I can't get over it
Lighten up Francis!

https://youtu.be/C6cxNR9ML8k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 02:30 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,519 times
I have been to many Costco in Mainland, Canada, South Korea and Hawaii.

Costco Hawaii is somewhat different from those in Mainland. First, it is much more crowded (Iwilei store). Second, they devote considerable valuable spaces to sell Polynesian and Oriental merchandise as well as stuff specifically catered to Hawaii market.

For example, they have Li Hing Mui dried mango, Korean Jajang Noodles and Lee Kum Kee XO-sauce. They also have surfboard.

It is not quite typical American Costco.

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 03-21-2018 at 03:20 PM..

Old 03-21-2018, 02:54 PM

I would say nothing is impossible. If OP makes up her mind, give it a try. But Oahu is a less desirable place to live as compared with when I came 30 years ago. For example:

(1) There are much less days with trade wind -- about 80 days less per year. Way back it was so breezy whenever you stood under the shade.

(2) Inflation -- it is more rampant in Hawaii than in Mainland. In '89 an adult Bus pass cost $13.50 and now it costs $70.

(3) Aloha spirit -- way back everybody greeted stranger with smile. Once I got a flat tire on highway, a local driver stopped to help me replace it. Now hardly anybody smiles to any stranger.

(4) Homeless -- way way worse than 30 years ago.

(5) Affordable housing -- way back there were plenty of affordable housing -- for rent or to buy.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:58 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
But Oahu is a less desirable place to live as compared with when I came 30 years ago.
On the flip side, op has no baseline since she wasn't alive 30 years ago.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I have been to many Costco in Mainland, Canada, South Korea and Hawaii.

Costco Hawaii is somewhat different from those in Mainland. First, it is much more crowded (Iwilei store). Second, they devote considerable valuable spaces to sell Polynesian and Oriental merchandise as well as stuff specifically catered to Hawaii market.

For example, they have Li Hing Mui dried mango, Korean Jajang Noodles and Lee Kum Kee XO-sauce. They also have surfboard.

It is not quite typical American Costco.
Wrong!!!! Just kidding. Costco in Hawaii is freaking nuts!!!! Anyway, Hawaii has its diffencences that is not on the mainland. Of all the diffenent places in the US that I have been to,
Hawaii is a place of it own (not an isult to the sensitive) White Viper made a good point and I agree with the subculture point of view. Like all different areas of our nation there are going to be geographical mindset differences from one place to another. I will keep an open mind that the Hawaiian culture is a subculture of the American culture and not an entirely different nation.

Old 03-21-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
I would say nothing is impossible. If OP makes up her mind, give it a try. But Oahu is a less desirable place to live as compared with when I came 30 years ago. For example:

(1) There are much less days with trade wind -- about 80 days less per year. Way back it was so breezy whenever you stood under the shade.

(2) Inflation -- it is more rampant in Hawaii than in Mainland. In '89 an adult Bus pass cost $13.50 and now it costs $70.

(3) Aloha spirit -- way back everybody greeted stranger with smile. Once I got a flat tire on highway, a local driver stopped to help me replace it. Now hardly anybody smiles to any stranger.

(5) Affordable housing -- way back there were plenty of affordable housing -- for rent or to buy.

Why is there less trade winds now than then?

Old 03-21-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
Why is there less trade winds now than then?
New study shows number of trade wind days decreasing - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Old 03-21-2018, 06:07 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,234,244 times
Quote:

Amazing!

Mahalo for your post Ian_Lee.

30 years would practically make you Kama'aina...a good deal of the posters here have been in Hawai'i for less then 10 years...but that doesn't stop them from dishing out their (ahem) knowledgeable advice to any new people that might want to make a go of it on the Islands like they did just a few short years ago.

No, They'd rather dig their pale toes in the sand and tell everyone else to stay back on the Mainland, ironically where they so recently just came from.

I've been to parties/social gatherings where Malihini will vehemently get so territorial. that they will actually nit-pick down to months..even days, how much longer they have been living on the Island then the other party guest.

Even more silly/sad/ludicrous is when they pick Hawai'ian names for their 'sigs' on message boards, or for their darling kids and pets. after a few short months of living in Hawai'i to show how 'Local' they are...lol.

#3 Aloha Spirit...Ian, why do you suppose that the 'Spirit' is dying?

No Brainer...too many newcomers from the Mainland..bringing their skewed mainland habits with them and wondering why the Locals can't adapt to THEIR way of thinking.

Ian, I applaud you for your candor and your enlightening post.

This is not a blanket indictment of the many genuinely helpful people who post here..but exclusively for the phonies,/wannabes.

you know who you are.

Last edited by mr.magoo; 03-21-2018 at 07:33 PM..

Old 03-21-2018, 08:03 PM

Nothing that could be done about that. Nature has her will.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:46 PM

163 posts, read 268,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If you find a rental within the first two weeks, you'd have to put down the first and last month's
I believe Hawaii does not allow first/last month's rent. It should be 1st month and security (which is sometimes negotiable).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: