Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 16,883 times

Advertisements

We are looking at places to move next year and we have always thought of Hawaii. We live in Maine right now and HATE it. LoL. We just had our first child last month and really want somewhere safe for her. My husband and I love the idea of living in Hawaii, but don't know where to possibly move to. Any suggestions would be fantastic! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 01:40 PM

649 posts, read 3,443,615 times
Scan or search these threads for tips and info. What do the adults in the family do for a living? That is an important factor in deciding whether you can make a go of it in Hawaii and where you might be able to live. There are different kinds of opportunities on the different islands. Also, what kind of a community are you looking for? Urban, suburban, rural? What do you like to do for fun? Can you afford private school?

Old 03-25-2008, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 16,883 times
We can do just about anything and I don't know if we can afford private school. At least not just yet anyways. We are pretty laid back people, so it doesn't really take much for us to have fun. I do like the occasional night life, but since we had our daughter, we're finding that we don't need to have it in our lives. We would like a suburban area. Someplace where there is a low crime rate, but not detached from the rest of the island.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:26 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashysmommy View Post
We are looking at places to move next year and we have always thought of Hawaii. We live in Maine right now and HATE it. LoL. We just had our first child last month and really want somewhere safe for her. My husband and I love the idea of living in Hawaii, but don't know where to possibly move to. Any suggestions would be fantastic! Thank you!
I left Hawaii a little less than 2 years ago — for the Last time! Paradise isn't worth its trouble for me. And I am moving back to Maine probably within the next two years.

Different places appeal to different folks, of course. There's Plenty to love in Hawaii — IF — you have Plenty money and/or one hell of a job opportunity ... hard to come by in Hawaii unless you are maybe a doctor. Brutal economy. Of course, many find, once there, it's so nice on the beach that who cares if you live in your car by the side of the road?!

Also, while there is no single racial majority, and caucasians (haoles) are as large a racial group as any at about 33%, the one thing that most of the other non-caucasians have in common with each other is that they don't much care for haoles.

Aloha spirit is partly real and there are many fine Hawaiians and Japanese and Samoans, etc living there who are friendly and warm and welcoming ... but there are also a LOT who are definitely Not. White America and Japan have taken over paradise and shoved the Hawaiians into a corner. It is shameful and we all suffer the resulting attitudes. Outside of the touristy areas and gated enclaves there's terrible poverty and bitterness everywhere. You will have to be willing to live with the tension and tough economics. Oh, and to say nothing of how little service and work ethic you will find there when you are trying to get anything done. Surf's up!

Good luck in Paradise. I miss it terribly ... but could Never ever live around that again.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:50 PM

25 posts, read 124,913 times
Hawaii is very very expensive compared to the mainland. I've lived in both and will never live in Hawaii again. Unless someone leaves me a house. Ha. There are many more opportunities here in the mainland. It's beautiful there but you'll be working so hard just to make ends meet that you won't have much time to enjoy life.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:28 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Moving to Hawaii takes a lot of sacrifices and since it sounds as if you aren't really moving TO Hawaii but AWAY from Maine, perhaps a warm climate with an easier economy might be another choice to consider?

Old 08-15-2008, 08:45 PM

15 posts, read 89,382 times
If you want a good education for your child DO NOT MOVE TO HAWAII.

We returned to the mainland because we had a baby. It is not a good place to raise children if you are at all concerned about education.

There is only one truly good school there and unless you're native Hawaiian - you can't attend.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:54 PM

109 posts, read 603,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashysmommy View Post
Have you considered living in San Diego, CA? If you can afford to live in Hawaii you can also afford to live in San Diego, the weather is really nice and so are the people. You would not experience culture shock and some language barriers. Also of all the mainland states San Diego reminds me the most of Hawaii in regards to scenery.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:46 AM

72 posts, read 316,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoagirl View Post
Have you considered living in San Diego, CA? If you can afford to live in Hawaii you can also afford to live in San Diego.

I thought San Diego was a lot more expensive?

Old 08-16-2008, 01:46 PM

109 posts, read 603,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
I thought San Diego was a lot more expensive?
San Diego county is very large and it all depends upon where you live. There are many locals from Hawaii that live in San Diego and many find it more affordable than Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii