Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 07:35 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,168 times

Advertisements

It all depends on your age and wealth.

If you are still young, i.e. mid or late 20s, then go to UH to pursue another higher degree. In the mean time, try to get an intern job during those two years in a related industry. Usually you can get a full time job offer at the time of graduation.

But of course it means you got to have enough savings to pay for the next two years' living on the islands + out-of-state tuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 01:16 PM

3 posts, read 4,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
It all depends on your age and wealth.

If you are still young, i.e. mid or late 20s, then go to UH to pursue another higher degree. In the mean time, try to get an intern job during those two years in a related industry. Usually you can get a full time job offer at the time of graduation.

But of course it means you got to have enough savings to pay for the next two years' living on the islands + out-of-state tuition.
I already got a degree tho. Don't have money for another one lol.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:25 PM

68 posts, read 99,694 times
Hi Merely,

I know 80K is barely scraping by in the Bay Area, but if you can stick it out a bit more, there's so much potential to sock away serious money in this tech job market that we've been having the last few years. I know you said you work in a tech company in a non-technical role but even non-techie designers and program managers (ok couldn't help myself there with the PM part ;-)) are bringing in the big bucks.

I was seriously considering what you want to do a few years ago but in the end, I decided to spend 1 or 2 more years to beef up the savings (in part because of the scary stories from this forum, haha). Well those years kept stretching just because every time I looked back at what I socked away the past year, I kept saying I really have to do this 1 more year. Also, as preparation for the less-material lifestyle everyone says we need to survive in HI, we live on less and sock away everything else. I don't mean a miserable existence just to save money as we still live comfortably and still manage to vacation twice a year. We just chose to live in a much less expensive area outside the city, drive cheap cars, avoid luxuries, and so on.

Guess what, those savings even in conservative index funds, started earning decent chunks themselves with the way market has gone up as well.

We will still move to HI (hopefully in the near future), but now it feels like there are more options including remote work and not looking anymore at working 2 jobs just to subsist.

My point is that these tech opportunities seem once in a lifetime (although I cant speak for the dot-com era as I didn't catch that one) it feels like a waste not to grab what you can even for a short period. Also, the pace of development and thus learning/growth opportunities are incredible. I thought I already knew a lot (wife says I know it all ;-)) but the last few years have been humbling as well as fulfilling.

Last edited by ChickenChaser; 05-25-2018 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: add

Old 05-27-2018, 01:19 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Have not lived in Oahu for many years but can tell you the issues were exactly the same when I was there.

You will love the climate and outdoor activities - I did. However unless you are independently wealthy living there will require much in the way of sacrifice and your career will likely be put on hold or disappear entirely - imagine moving to a retirement community for work or living at a resort - that is pretty much your situation. There are thousands of others who have done this and hundreds arrive (and leave) every year. You are not alone - try reading some blogs before you make a move so you know what you are in for.
They might give La Paz a whirl first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: