Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2018, 12:27 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
It's idiotic to call that post idiotic, and ignorantly offensive to equate same sex marriage with the other practices you mentioned.

Of course Dreaming recognized marriage was at issue, hence the reference to it. You say marriage has been recognized by law and custom for centuries-guess what? Laws and customs change. His/her point was that the law is allowed to change because marriage is not defined in the Constitution.

Customs change too, usually for the better. Racism, sexism, homophobia and more all were culturally accepted not too long ago. I recently revisited the movie "Saturday Night Fever" and saw all of them on display in this movie from-the 70's?

BTW, Clinton did not "support" DOMA, he thought it was a bad idea.
Not how I read it. It was and is, IMHO, an idiotic post, albeit not as much so as yours.

As far as being "offensive" is concerned, nothing comes close to your use of the moniker for one of the worlds worsts terrorists, responsible for the bombing (not plane crashes, but bombing) of the WTC in NYC as your CD handle. That is OFFENSIVE in spades.

"Omar Abdel Rahman, the blind Islamic cleric whose fulminating sermons inspired violent fundamentalist movements in Egypt and, an American court found, a 1993 plot for a bombing rampage in New York.....,"

As far as redefining, i.e. weakening marriage, once you set aside the nearly-universally accepted definition as a union between 1 man and 1 women, you have no basis for rejecting any other definition to be carved out by the next minute special interest group demanding to marry their brother, sister, mother, father, twin sisters, pet pit bull, two women or two men, or mix thereof (polygamy) or a man, a woman and a beagle!!!

Last edited by Open-D; 10-23-2018 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Open-D, I just love your way of having a discussion. If someone asks you a question or states a point of view different from yours, your response is to call that person names. SIGH. I guess that's how things are in America these days. I could respond by calling you silly names, but I refuse to lower myself to your level.

The whole "institution" of marriage being only between a man and a woman that you are so vehement about comes from the Bible. So, even though you are agnostic, you are strongly supporting a belief rooted in religion. Can you explain that?

Bottom line is, who cares if two men or two women love each other enough that they want to commit themselves to marriage? How does that concern you? If there was more love and less hate in this world, it would be a much better place!
Yah, I learned that technique from the left who call people on the right every name in the book. BTW, what name did I call you. I labled your post as idiotic, but not you per se.

Now to address your other points.

I seriously doubt that the roots of marriage are exclusively in the bible, but are found elsewhere as well including history going back thousands of years. And even if it is rooted in religion, my support is not based thereon, but the fact that the family is the foundation of our society. Weaken the foundation, and you weaken the society, be it christian, jewish, buddhist, shinto, agnostic, wiccan.....

The institution of marriage exists to benefit society as a whole, not the participants per se. Those of great wisdom know how important it is to society to give official recognition and sanction to the building block of society, i.e. the reproduction-capable family unit.

I worked splendidly for millennium, but now it is under attack by those least able to stand on their own feet when society starts to erode.

Last edited by Open-D; 10-23-2018 at 01:26 PM..

Old 10-23-2018, 01:30 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
MODS This thread has definitely gone south.

Old 10-23-2018, 04:59 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,163,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
MODS This thread has definitely gone south.
Post has "Gone South"?
Just what sort of slanderous Yankee assertion you tryin' to make????

Old 10-23-2018, 06:12 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Chick-fil-A coming soon to Oahu - Honolulu, Hawaii news, sports & weather - KITV Channel 4

The rumors actually seem to be true this time! Just like they have been crazy successful in NYC, I envision something similar here on Oahu. In any case, I can't wait!

Hawaii is better than this racist, bigoted, hateful fast food chain. Avoid it!

Support local restaurants. There are so many reasons NOT to like Chick-fil-A.

1. They have no "Aloha Spirit".

Old 10-23-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Hawaii is better than this racist, bigoted, hateful fast food chain. Avoid it!

Support local restaurants. There are so many reasons NOT to like Chick-fil-A.

1. They have no "Aloha Spirit".
What a load of utter BS. We go there regularly, now that they came into the political spotlight. Friendly, caring staff who do a great job. No bigotry, no hate.

Hawaii should consider it lucky to have them in-state. Hopefully, Hawaii can earn the privilege for their future presence.

If the type of hate articulated by sheena12 is prevalent, I think they will give up on the state and move to places more deserving.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:35 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,900,190 times
"BTW, Clinton did not "support" DOMA, he thought it was a bad idea."

Strange then, how he made a radio commercial praising it:

https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/10/polit...-ad/index.html

"(CNN)In an effort to win votes from social conservatives during the 1996 presidential race, Bill Clinton's re-election campaign ran a controversial radio ad that touted his signing of the Defense of Marriage Act, his role in expanding the death penalty, and his support for a ban on late-term abortions..."

Democrats are experts at re-writing history. They change their ideals in exchange for dollars and votes at any time and for any reason.

(Hey... I even found a link from the Clinton News Network!)

Old 10-24-2018, 07:55 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,560,674 times
Sheesh, all this over a chicken sandwich? Crazy thing about all of this is that a homosexual European American still wouldn't trade lives with a melanated person...Ever. Carry on though.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:33 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
So I went to Chick-fil-A for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I just don't get it. The menu is basic boring and the food mediocre. Never again for me.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:38 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Post has "Gone South"?
Just what sort of slanderous Yankee assertion you tryin' to make????
Sorry, I was being insensitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii