Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:52 AM

2 posts, read 18,639 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I currently live in beautiful Orlando, FL with my husband and four kids.
I have been wanting to move somewhere more relaxing and away from the familiar. I have been searching for a place where I can start from scratch and where my family and I can get closer and spend more time together.
Hawaii, popped into my heart and mind just yesterday and I am thinking of just selling everything I own and taking us away (granted with work and a home to go to). My family has experienced a lot of loss here in Orlando and we really need to go somewhere where we can unite and focus. I know Hawaii is beautiful more relaxing and has a great Christian population. What I dont know is the living there as far as schools, rent, work...etc. If I make this move it will be by the end of the year. My husband and I are both professional people, he currently owns his own company and I work at the University of Central Florida. I want to be able to find a job where I can work with Youth. I use to work for Job Corps and I know they have a center there, I would love to do something like that or work at a school...etc.
I love kids and they usually love me. I found reasonable home prices in Pahola.... Please assist me in your thoughts. I know what I am thinking might be insane but My God I am ready for change and I am waiting to see what God guides me to do.... your thought would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by magosto; 04-03-2008 at 10:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 10:21 AM

61 posts, read 322,181 times
You should probably post this on the hawaii site. Best of luck to you in your move

Old 04-03-2008, 12:16 PM

640 posts, read 3,074,610 times
You need to do a lot of research on this one. I just spent 10 days there in October and could never live there. It's very beautiful but there are a lot of bad areas as well. I know people get cabin fever after being there for a few years and move back to the mainland. My stepkids were Navy and they lived there for 2 years. They were ready to leave by then due to lack of things to do besides snokeling. Most people who can afford to put thier children in public schools due to the racism. Groceries are very expensive, we paid $5.00 for a gallon of milk. Everything is more expensive but it may be a way of life you can afford and love. Posting on the Hawaii site would be the better way to go. Good luck!

Old 04-03-2008, 12:38 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
California > Hawaii
I have a lot of friends that have went there and been underwhelmed.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:35 PM

4 posts, read 19,534 times
the Big Island is a great place to live. My 9 year old is having a great time and made many new friends.
UH is located in HIlo and he cost of living is not to bad on that side of the island.
Shopping can be done at Walmart, K-Mart, Costco etc...... and the prices are not much higher then on the mainland, and they have just about everything you need.
It's all about what you make out of it..................

Old 04-06-2008, 12:09 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,506,290 times
Oahu is a tourist island. The real islands to live, if for the REAL ALOHA spirit, is anything but Oahu. Too many people here, too many. Been here 8 years, and live in Mililani.
Racism at its finest. Dont believe me, then move here, and become familiar with "Haole" which is a misunderstood word, but can mean the same as the "N" word.
Go to Big Island, or Maui. Best bets.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:32 PM

649 posts, read 3,443,615 times
Steve, just curious, why don't you suggest Kauai? You say, Big Island or Maui, "best bets". Why is that?

Old 04-06-2008, 07:50 PM

7,913 posts, read 932,573 times
kauai is one of the most expensive maybe thats why. I would not send your kids to a public school. The education system is horrible. i have lived in hawaii my whole life and it sucks but we cant afford to move.

Old 04-06-2008, 08:03 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,506,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by me0123 View Post
kauai is one of the most expensive maybe thats why. I would not send your kids to a public school. The education system is horrible. i have lived in hawaii my whole life and it sucks but we cant afford to move.
Education is nothing to brag about here, and my kids go to the Mililani High school and grade school.
Kauai is high priced living. Simple.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:44 PM

2 posts, read 24,602 times
If you want to live in the islands do your research. The Big Island is best for a family such as yours. Maui and Oahu, well let's just say it is good to visit, not to live. Go to Big Island and you will love the slow pace and everything else it offers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii