Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 06:16 PM

160 posts, read 485,785 times

Advertisements

I want to attend nursing school once all of my kids are in school. I have heard U of Hilo is EXCELLENT, just wondering if anyone knows anybody that went there.
Personally I would like to get my degree and then specialize. I had two grandparents with what they considered way back when dimentia. ( I think it would be alzheimers these days) The in home care they had was HORRID! I'd drop in unexpected with my mom to find them rifling though all their belongings, leaving my grandmother "marinating" in her own...stuff. It was awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 12:43 PM

3 posts, read 25,384 times
Hi John, I am planning on taking a travel assignment in Maui Hawaii. How is the nursing practice there? Is it computer or paper charting? Also with travelers, do they float/pool them from one unit to another? Just a few questions that I have. Thanks.

Nell

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRNEd View Post
I am an RN working in Honolulu for the past 3 years, and would be happy to answer any specific questions that I could concerning life here and nursing.

I have previous experience as an RN in Florida, so can provide some comparison between the two states.

Aloha -

John

Old 12-08-2007, 12:50 PM

3 posts, read 25,384 times
Default 4:1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I don't see job security when reading about that shortage, I see "being over worked". That's why that 4:1 ratio law that Hawaii has (and Cali, I believe) makes being a nurse not so bad.
4:1 on which unit? Thanks.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 18,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeweloflight View Post
I'm originally from Atlanta and am comtemplating a move as I prepare to finish nursing school. Just wondering what quality of life a nurse can expect to have in Hawaii, and are there a lot of nursing jobs down there? Also, what's the best island for being near shopping and activities and not necessarily be in the thick of things. Maybe a neighborhood or area that's quiet and not so crowded, but with close proximity to everything I need. I'm dying to live near the beach, but California is looking to be out of the question, it's so much going on there, and seems to me more people are leaving than coming.
Hi I have been an Rn in Hawaii since 1980 there are jobs and on the outer islands they are in shabby -run down state run hospitals except North hawaii community in waimea on the big island of hawaii. On oahu there are many jobs avg pay is 43.oo. The local agency I can recommend here for travelers is kahu malama nursing 808-951-0111 (please tell them L Cross sent you)
Living here is extremely expensive but it is paradise.
There are No NP jobs, I am one , the NP and PA's got laid off from kaiser last month, no one lelse really hires them, now there are at least 60 looking for jobs that rarely exist in this state Good Luck,

Last edited by lizzyhawaii; 02-26-2008 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-26-2008, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 18,415 times
Default RN and NP jobs in Hawaii

Hi I have been an RN in Hawaii since 1980 , there are jobs and on the outer islands they are in shabby -run down state run hospitals ecxept North Hawaii Community in Waimea on the big island of Hawaii.
On oahu there are many jobs avg pay is 43.00 and the agency I can recommend here for travelers is kahu malama nursing 808-951-0111 ( please tell them L Cross sent you)
Lliving here is extremely expensive but it is paradise.
There are No NP jobs - (I am one)The NP and PA's got laid off from kaiser last month, no one else uss them, now there are at least 60 very experienced NP PA's looking for jobs that rarely exist in this state. Good Luck

Old 04-14-2008, 08:39 PM

3 posts, read 23,098 times
Question What's the word in the Islands about Women's Health?

I am going to be a new grad and currently live in Southern California. My parents have a home on the Big Island and I am very interested in moving over to work somewhere in Hawaii. My interest is in OB. Can anyone tell me a great OB hospital?

Old 04-14-2008, 08:57 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times
You may want to check out: North Hawaii Community Hospital | Adventist Health | Big Island of Hawaii (broken link)

Old 04-15-2008, 01:08 PM

3 posts, read 23,098 times
Thank you, this is very helpful. This is where my parents house is so I have actually been to the hospital several times and loved the woman's unit! Do you work there or have you worked there before?

Old 06-04-2008, 03:30 PM

1 posts, read 9,009 times
Hello John,

I am just beginning a nursing program this summer, looking to graduate at the end of 2009. I currently hold a bachelor's degree in Exercise Physiology, although I am pursuing an Associates in Nursing. My dream: to graduate, pass my boards, and move to Hawaii. I am a personal trainer on the side, however, it is not a consistent income. My dream is to learn to surf, be near the water, and live a relaxing life.

I currently work as a Part-time Unit Secretary in the ER in a hospital in Miami. I would love to stay after nursing school, but would rather jump on a plane and move to Hawaii.

What advice can you give me? What steps should I be taking to guarantee a smooth transition and guarantee myself a nursing position there? I have a friend living on the North Shore and he loves it. Do you recommend that area for nurses? Please let me know what you advise me to start doing as of now.

Thank you so much for your help,
Mechy

Old 06-06-2008, 10:38 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,297,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I don't see job security when reading about that shortage, I see "being over worked". That's why that 4:1 ratio law that Hawaii has (and Cali, I believe) makes being a nurse not so bad.
That is what I think whenever I hear/read about the upcoming shortage.

I am still only a student, but I like to read about other areas to work in. On the popular nursing forum it appears that getting hired in HI is nearly impossible as a new grad. The students that go to school out there have a hard enough time, I would assume it will be harder for someone coming from somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii