U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: What Island would you live on?
Kauai 23 17.04%
Maui 24 17.78%
Oahu 43 31.85%
Hawaii 45 33.33%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-11-2008, 03:49 PM

425 posts, read 939,087 times
Default What Hawaiian Island would you live on?

Out of the four major Islands of Hawaii what one would you live on?
Kauai
Oahu
Maui
Hawaii
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-11-2008, 05:24 PM

Kauai, "for Newlyweds or the Nearly Dead" they say kidding why Kauai?

Unread 04-11-2008, 05:40 PM

2,144 posts, read 4,723,320 times
If I had all the money in the world, Maui I hear is off the charts.

But alas, being one of the small business owners of the world with the emphasis on the small part , I could be down for Hilo area on the big island

Unread 04-11-2008, 05:48 PM

Maui has a little bit of fast and slow, Costco in 1996 made the shift in consumer spending in the right direction and the local stores slowly followed.
Sadly on all Islands is a thing called "hoo-wee" meaning (spelling) take care of the inner circle first before hiring and outsider.
Hilo is big and has big weather too
I picked Oahu for more women and the hub of the Island
Most visited; Maui
Highest Population Oahu
Quietest Kauai
Never been to Hilo

Unread 04-11-2008, 06:07 PM

1,375 posts, read 3,962,020 times
Oahu and the Big Island...

Unread 04-11-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
Oahu and the Big Island...
What's the attraction to Hawaii?
Kauai has it's beauty, but its to slow for me and not enough work.

Maui comes in 2nd because I lived there for 12 years but it has many photo ops for me and the water sports activity is big.

Hawaii is still a mystery to me, got to go and read more here on this forum

On Oahu I've only had short experience with but the activity is wonderful to me and the traffic is nothing coming from LA CA

Thanks

Last edited by Goldwing; 04-11-2008 at 07:56 PM..

Unread 04-11-2008, 08:57 PM

649 posts, read 2,136,190 times
Default Kauai

Kauai is "slow" or "quiet" everyone says; I guess I like "slow and quiet". There's a little cafe in Kapa'a that has jazz every now and then (once a week? or thereabouts); I don't care if they close up at 10 p.m. Around here (east coast college town), the live music doesn't start until then and I'm falling asleep by 11! So that (and the occasional concert at the Community College or school play) is enough 'night life' for me. My hubby is a fantastic cook, usually better than most restaurants, so I don't care that much for going out. Maybe for sushi or something really hard to make, once in a great while.

It's beautiful. I love Koke'e park, up in the hills away from it all. I yearn to hike and/or kayak major portions of the Na Pali coast, before I'm too old to do it. I found a great school, a perfect swim team for my son and some very nice people there, and what seems like it will be a great career opportunity. Only time will tell. Finding the job - apparently the only one on the island in my field, and *exactly* what I have always wanted to do - seemed like a huge "sign" from the heavens that I was meant to be there. (So big that it has me seriously questioning my general lack of "faith" or "belief". It could be a coincidence... or not. Hmmmmm.....)

It feels like home to me. Oahu feels like the big city and suburbs, something I left 25 years ago and have never missed. I could live on the Big Island, I like the Hilo area pretty much and also up by Waimea, but I just never clicked with it the way I did with Kauai (I suspect I will vacation on the B.I. occasionally, and maybe Maui as well. And go Christmas shopping in Honolulu!). I haven't been to Maui recently, my visits of years ago left me a bit cold. It is beautiful but I didn't get that "homey" feeling that I get on Kauai. I guess for me it's just kind of a personal thing, hard to put in words.

OK, here's one for you. I think of Kauai as a "pickup truck" kind of place. What kind of car would symbolize life on the other islands?

Unread 04-11-2008, 09:18 PM

I enjoy Maui as a place to visit, but I've never considered living there. I love Kauai--it's amazingly beautiful and I hope to spend more time there someday, but I don't think I'd want to live there full time unless I make my millions soon! If I lived there, I think I would need plenty of room in the budget for travel.

The Big Island can be pretty amazing...if you can take time to make friends and learn how to adapt to living here (same for any other island, I suppose!). There is still a ruggedness to this island that appeals to me, but I have access to everything I need, with an exception or two when it comes to my favorite clothing stores. There is a simplicity to life here that I appreciate.

It might sound simplistic, but one thing that appeals to me about this island is just that it is big! A trip to Kona feels like a real adventure...the drive from Hilo to Puako or Hawi is a real "road trip". The change in topography from the Kohala coast/Waimea to Hilo is stunning to observe....

Last edited by cynmkolohe; 04-11-2008 at 09:27 PM..

Unread 04-11-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
OK, here's one for you. I think of Kauai as a "pickup truck" kind of place. What kind of car would symbolize life on the other islands?
Hmm...tough one for the Big Island...might have to break it down by district!

Unread 04-11-2008, 10:59 PM

143 posts, read 359,479 times
Oahu is out of the question with all it's congestion and seemingly crazy populations (I think of Diamond Head when I say this. Standing at the top and looking at the snaking overly packed section of houses going up that hill? Ahh!)

And Maui wouldn't be for me either despite it's beauty. Movie stars and vacationing families can keep an eye on it.

Kauai, would be the 'mistress' island, somewhere to escape for a bit of untamed beauty and relaxation.

The Big Island is where I would call home. It's got a bit of everything but still holds on to some of that small town charm. You still get tourists, but not the obnoxious ones as much. lol Finding work however if you don't have a trade might be an issue. But running one of those artsy type stores with 'genuine' hawaiian/asian crafts would be nice. Whales on the shoreline, Volcanoes in the interior. The Big Island. Anyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii