Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 01:24 PM

37 posts, read 200,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcyH View Post
I spoke with the Dept of Agriculture Rabies Free Hawaii yesterday and they said that it's up to airlines where the animals travel. It is not a state law. The only law is that all animals must go directly through the rabies check (state vet) and have the required paperwork together or they will have to remain in quarantine on site at the airport. The only place where there is a state vet on site at all times is the Honolulu airport which is why they require everyone to go through there.

They did say that they have spoken to and are working with the Dogtravel Company about other locations in Hawaii but right now all of their plans for travel are through the main airport.
A couple of simple questions.
Has it been at least one flight with 70+ pounds pets in the passenger cabin?( tiny dogs and cats are allowed in general).On that picture from"Dogtravel company" there is a good size golden retriever...
If it was ,what is the flight number and when did it happen?

To my understanding,it should have been all over the news.

If Dogtravel Company is not a scam,it wiil be booked at least for 2 years already.$2000 is a big money,but it's not $20000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 01:31 PM

9 posts, read 22,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillHope View Post
A couple of simple questions.
Has it been at least one flight with 70+ pounds pets in the passenger cabin?( tiny dogs and cats are allowed in general).On that picture from"Dogtravel company" there is a good size golden retriever...
If it was ,what is the flight number and when did it happen?

To my understanding,it should have been all over the news.

If Dogtravel Company is not a scam,it wiil be booked at least for 2 years already.$2000 is a big money,but it's not $20000.

I don't work for them but I am a member. Why don't you call them and talk to them yourself. My understanding is that this is not a commercial airline. and it is not a public company. It's a private travel club for dog lovers. Their phone number is 877-878-5774 Their website is Dogtravel Company Home and you can email them directly at mailto:info@dogtravelcompany.net

Old 05-21-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I don't work for them but I am a member. Why don't you call them and talk to them yourself. My understanding is that this is not a commercial airline. and it is not a public company. It's a private travel club for dog lovers. Their phone number is 877-878-5774 Their website is Dogtravel Company Home and you can email them directly at mailto:info@dogtravelcompany.net
Their mailing address is 8300 Greensboro Drive, Suite 800-73, McLean VA 22102 if you'd also like to write to them by snail mail

Old 05-21-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Their mailing address is 8300 Greensboro Drive, Suite 800-73, McLean VA 22102 if you'd also like to write to them by snail mail

Old 05-21-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Marcy,I am not having this conversation just for fun.I have a dod with the paperwork for direct release ready.
But there are a lot of scammers out there.May be the Dogtravel company is not one of them.And may be you are not involved.
But as a member didn't you ask the same questions?
I want to hear from the independent source.And I 'd like the facts: flight #, date of arrival,etc.
Asking a scam artist if he is not a scam artist...
Anyway,nothing personal.But as a member,could you,please,get some facts and share with us? It would be easier for you,I think.
Thank you in advance.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillHope View Post
Marcy,I am not having this conversation just for fun.I have a dod with the paperwork for direct release ready.
But there are a lot of scammers out there.May be the Dogtravel company is not one of them.And may be you are not involved.
But as a member didn't you ask the same questions?
I want to hear from the independent source.And I 'd like the facts: flight #, date of arrival,etc.
Asking a scam artist if he is not a scam artist...
Anyway,nothing personal.But as a member,could you,please,get some facts and share with us? It would be easier for you,I think.
Thank you in advance.

Hi StillHope of course I did. And I suggest you call them and ask your questions of them directly just as I did, so you can get your answers too. What I'm saying to you is that they are NOT a commercial airline. You can't look up their flight numbers on any commercial airline site. All of the flights are private flights. They are a travel club. We have traveled with other travel clubs - and flown with them on their private flights, and those private flights do not have flight numbers either. Have you ever flown on a chartered flight? You get a tail #, not a flight #.

I'm leaving it up to you to do your own homework. All I was saying was that I did my homework. I found, what I think is a wonderful solution that is offering something no other company is offering, and I thought others might be interested in it. I encourage others to do their own research, and call them, email them, and write them letters and ask all the questions you have, just like I did. It's ultimately your own responsibility to find your own way to get your pets to / from Hawaii - safely. If you want to travel with your pets in the cabin with you - I suggest you call them. If you don't want to believe it, and don't want to explore the option, don't! It was just a suggestion.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:32 PM

6 posts, read 17,351 times
Regarding Dogtravel I have no idea if they are a scam however I suspect they are a start up business which hasn't figured out how to market well yet. They started last November, the domain registration is relatively new Nov 13, 07. Basically what they are doing is hiring charter airlines to let you travel with your dog. They look for "open leg" flights which are much cheaper. An open leg flight is when a party has hired a charter flight in one direction and there is nobody on a return flight. They would lose the cost of the return flight so instead they offer it at a very low rate about 1 or 2 weeks before the flight happens. This is a relatively frequent occurrence and there are many companies that can assist you with hiring open leg charters. Dogtravel is the first to do it as a "service" for dog owners. I can tell you their marketing and customer service leave a lot to be desired. I have emailed them and called them on the phone. When I do, the answers to my questions are always abrupt, incomplete and a little ambiguous. I still have hope they are just bad at business and not scam artists. They do not have any data on this company at the better business bureau. To address StillHope's question about dogtravel's photo of a large dog in the seat. I have no idea if dogtravel has made this happen at all but I can tell you that I spoke to a few airline charter's personally and they are willing to allow dogs on their flights and they do not need to be in a crate. A charter flight by yourself to Hawaii that isn't an open leg costs around 65,000. I can believe they are willing to allow my dog in cabin at these prices. It would however be the responsibility of the charter company to make sure your dog is passed directly to the quarantine office, if they do not they can be fined heavily.

You can visit the dogtravel company site and access their forums with your questions and concerns. Currently you do not have to become a member to participate on their forums, just click on the forum tab and create a new account.

I get a kick out of Dave's post. It's bad enough that he posts incorrect information, anyone can be mistaken but to go out of your way to start the message with "I promise this is the absolute truth". I have done a lot of research on this topic. I have been working to get my two dogs to Hawaii for a while now since ATA failed. The Quarantine office folks told me they have no rules against animals in cabin. One guy was even mad at the airlines which sometime blame them for their rule. It's strictly an airline rule. Dave, sorry to trash talk about your post but honestly your information isn't correct at this time, perhaps it was when you traveled last.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:52 PM

David,Mokupuni bound,MarcyH!
Thank you for your responses.Though I basically agree with David (common sense),a desperate "mother" of 8 year old boxer is grasping at a straw.
You all probably know that boxers are prone to a predatory heat problem which kills without any warning signs,mine has a separation anxiety on the top of it.
So you can not get more interested person.So Marcy,if you are a good person,please don't leave me alone to do my own research)):.
I am trying to establish some facts which can help customers and Dogtravel company if they are for real.
So far we get
1) - a well established fact that "technically" there is no state regulation about"no dogs in the cabin";

(positive fact,which gives the airlines the opportunity...they don't use much,but the private flights can).

2) Well established facts about quarantine paperwork which needs to be submitted in advance to get direct release

(I am not sure how it is going to work with those "leg" flights)

3)- Dogtravel company is a new business,established in November 2007.

4)-No record with BBB

(to be objective,this fact on its own neither good nor bad-early to tell)

5)-Not so much information on the phone (somewhat abrupt and ambiguous replies).

{either a teenager with no work ethics,or doesn't sound good}.
That's about it.
So,Marcy,if you did fly with the dog on Dogtrave Company arranged flifgts,why not share some facts?
I don't need any "private "information,just tell the story when the flight happened and how the quarantine paperwork was checked,any facts that can be confirmed.I promise,I'll do my homework checking that!
I am not rich,but if you help me,I'll buy you a ticket to Hawaii and take you to the best restaurant of you choice.I promise!

However,if you walk away from this conversation,I don't think I'll be the only one to think that neither Dogtravel Company or you are for real.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:32 PM

6 posts, read 17,351 times
1) Correct - dogs in cabin can be done. In fact although David will probably disagree ATA DID allow dogs in cabin before they failed. The quarantine office confirmed this for me.

2) Paperwork should not be a problem for the open leg flights. My dogs paperwork was prepared last year. The only item which can't be done in advance is the health certificate which MUST be done no more than 14 days prior to arrival. As long as your vet doesn't have a long waiting list this shouldn't be a problem.

3) I think so, that's when their website was registered. I think they are really a travel agency which might have existed in the past and is not trying this new line of business. But that's an educated guess.

4) Valid point, no record means no complaints as well as no positive record.

5) I think just bad management, bad employee etc. Their poor attitude has made me wonder if they are legit and question if I want to do business with them. I might just find my own open leg flight if I can get a group of folks together that are willing to join me.

I talked to the Quarantine office again today and the person I spoke to had never heard of DogTravel Company. That doesn't mean Dogtravel hasn't spoken to a different person in the office. When I asked if they were working with dogtravel to arrange flights they told me they don't do that. They said charter companies are responsible for bringing the pets to the quarantine office. This is also what the charter companies I spoke with said.

MarcyH - We would love to hear about your experiences with Dog Travel.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:00 PM

126 posts, read 687,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidinHawaii View Post

No airlines, at all, whether it is ATA Airlines or anyone else... none can bring pets IN THE CABIN of a plane. Why? Its against Hawaii state law, with the Department of Agriculture, their Rabies Quarantine office to be specific.

So its a "state law thing", not an airline thing. That's why, unfortunately, who ever at ATA Airlines told you that was wrong.
Just wanted to reiterate that I did bring my pet in the cabin with my on an ATA flight to Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii