Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2021, 06:17 PM

678 posts, read 425,899 times

Advertisements

I've spent some summers in Hawaii before (almost 20 years ago) and have considered moving back. But now that I have kids and family on the east coast, it seems tougher to pull off. I'm curious, if we were renting a small 2-3 bedroom (ideally furnished) place what sort of lifestyle could we live for $150k - $200k / year. Where would you recommend living?

Schools could be a deal breaker over expenses. I know public schools are notoriously bad and good private would probably be too expensive. We probably wouldn't want to home school.

Also, what is family life like on the islands? Is there a good sense of community?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 07:44 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,139,479 times
I'd say you need to provide more details. What island, what district/town on that island etc... before you can get good advice.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
I'd say you need to provide more details. What island, what district/town on that island etc... before you can get good advice.
I'd be open to wherever. Ideally I'd want a safe area, not too desolate, bike friendly, close to the ocean

Old 08-15-2021, 08:05 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,289,487 times
We lived on the BI on the Hilo side near Pahoa. It will be the most affordable housing wise for all of Hawaii. We sent our daughter to Christian Liberty Academy and the tuition is a little under $7,000 annually for each child. It is a great school and my daughter made friends there quite easily. It was really hard on her having to leave her friends.

Community is strong in Hawaii and there is Hawaii pride, but you will be an outsider to the locals. Put it this way, the girl I worked with who was born and raised in Hilo, who is half Hawaiian and half black felt like an outsider because she looked more black than Hawaiian. So yes, there is a strong sense of community, but whether you’re accepted or not is something else. Culturally it is very different than the east coast. There were things I liked and loved and other things not so much. Be careful who your neighbors are. Some neighbors are louder than others and you will hear everything because your windows are always open. The house we bought in Hawaiian Shores was great, but the neighbor behind us had these dogs that would bark 24/7 and they also had serious domestic issues. The house to the left of us was for sale and empty. When that house was bought by a Hawaii family, they too had dogs that wouldn’t stop barking and the wife had a high pitch annoying voice and she would never shut up as well. I also have never seen so many people smoke cigarettes since the 80’s and 90’s until we moved to Hawaii. I hate the smell of cigarette smoke and Both our neighbors were chain smokers. I would smell cigarettes all damn day. We did rent a brand new house in Nanawale for $2,000 a month. Nanawale was much more quiet. It’s not built up like Hawaiian shores and beaches is.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:37 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,139,479 times
Location is everything. 150-200k in some parts of the Big Island would be really comfortable. On most of Oahu it would be adequate or maybe kind of tight.

Old 08-16-2021, 11:54 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,725,682 times
No upside exists for moving school aged children to Hawaii unless it is a forced military or job relocation. Wait until they are 18 and off to college or trade school then live out your fantasy. Take a vacation in the meantime.

Old 08-16-2021, 12:02 PM

80 posts, read 86,822 times
You'll do alright with that money but you may find the community aspect lacking. It's a great community...for those from here or at least asian. Can vary by neighborhood or island but if you're white be ready for some coldness or even negativity, and your kids may get it the worse.

Old 08-16-2021, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I’ll stay put for now but try to take a long vacation there every so often
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: