Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2022, 04:12 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Except I proved it already. Did nobody read my link?

Folks are really smoking something if you think pineapple and sugar cane workers made good money.
Whether you proved your point or not is not what I addressed in noting that lack of data doesn’t mean a premise is *false* … a simple point of classic logic 101.

Beyond that, I haven’t yet read the link and will do so. But your premise - lack of data equals false premise - is faulty aside from the topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2022, 04:20 PM

21,736 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Um yeah?

Again, I presume you are not familiar with Hawaii’s geography … specifically in relation to water liveaboard potential. I’ve actually lived aboard small boats and large ships in the areas your map cites. I know Hawaii’s waters and harbors. I also lived aboard ships in Asia including Hong Kong and the Philippines and Vietnam.

If you are really curious to know why Honolulu harbor, and Sand Island waters, Keehi Lagoon, Ala Wai, Kewalo Basin, Pear Harbor - are not suitable / possible venues for liveaboard communities, I can continue the conversation. No offense intended whatsoever. Your curiosity is perfectly ok with me.

Old 04-17-2022, 04:28 PM

65 posts, read 35,720 times
Quote:
I don’t smoke. If you can’t prove it (and I did) then your premise of affordable housing back 30 years is false.

It’s actually just common sense. Oahu has never been some utopia of cheap housing
A bridge too far. Truth doesn't rely on what evidence can be dug up at any point in time by any particular advocate.

Old 04-17-2022, 04:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post

But your premise - lack of data equals false premise - is faulty aside from the topic.
Saying this nicely but you clearly aren’t a math or science major.

That’s like we think vaccine will work - we don’t really know - but we hope so.

I presented an actual article. Nobody has yet to counter it. It’s incredibly obvious at least to me based on data Oahu residents make way more than 1990s ag workers.

Old 04-17-2022, 05:14 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Saying this nicely but you clearly aren’t a math or science major.

That’s like we think vaccine will work - we don’t really know - but we hope so.

I presented an actual article. Nobody has yet to counter it. It’s incredibly obvious at least to me based on data Oahu residents make way more than 1990s ag workers.

All your article says is it's always been expensive to buy a house in Hawaii, a point which no one has disagreed with.

The question I was asking is it more expensive now, relative to average wages, etc.

You said it was just as expensive 30 years ago, my suspicion that I posted is that it may be more expensive now.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-17-2022, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

The question I was asking is it more expensive now, relative to average wages, etc.

You said it was just as expensive 30 years ago, my suspicion that I posted is that it may be more expensive now.
The standard of living is certainly much higher in Hawaii than it was in the pineapple or sugar cane days 30 years ago but if someone has data the ag culture back then somehow was better would love to see that data.

An ag culture has never in modern society been what many consider a decent standard of living.

Old 04-18-2022, 07:39 AM

It wasn't ag culture, or at least that would only be a subsection of what what I was asking about.

It's not like there wasn't a HUGE tourism market and middle class families in the 1970s and beyond.

I know great grandfather (in law) worked as a police officer, and his wife stayed at home.... and they bought a house, though it was in Hawaii Kai. They had no assistance with money, and 6 kids in Catholic School. I'm trying to remember the rest of the family, and most did buy houses in Hawaii Kai because they were a lot cheaper, but all had normal jobs, and were young when they bought.

Old 04-18-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
It wasn't ag culture, or at least that would only be a subsection of what what I was asking about.

It's not like there wasn't a HUGE tourism market and middle class families in the 1970s and beyond.
Tourism 30 years ago was roughly half from 2019 levels. It wasn't HUGE. Hawaii didn't even get a million tourists until the late 60's.

If someone has numbers that the standard of living in Hawaii was higher in the early 1990's than today I'd love to see them.

Old 04-18-2022, 11:08 AM

I guess it depends when in the 90s. Prices dropped, and I ended up being able to buy my first house in 98, and I think our income was around 70K. Something we couldn't really afford earlier.

Here are housing prices 75 through 20. https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/HISTHPI

Average wages have not done the same.

But we will agree to disagree. Because of lack of actual data makes both our opinions merely that, opinions.

Old 04-18-2022, 11:13 AM

This is close. https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/S...000500000003SA

So wages went up 50% and housing went up 300%.

/someone will want to double check, I did this as a drive by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii