Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:33 PM

45 posts, read 130,302 times

Advertisements

http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/ please support this fund for proof of the rabies vaccine immunity using the rabies titer and for keeping your animals healthier, longer. Once we can show that rabies vaccination titering lasts for a much longer time, then we can use it against the Hawaii requirements or reduce the need for another rabies shot before they arrive in Hawaii. Rabies vaccines and the others that are given annually (7 in one) are making animals come down with more disease, cancer, immune mediated diseases like auto immune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 04:37 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolokea View Post
per your remark, "I've seen no evidence that any of these claims are anything but someone's imagination. So no, it proves nothing.".... OF COURSE there is "no evidence" of such backdoor crimes occurring! Maybe you haven't seen it personally but that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen!
But all the assertions in the world doesn't mean it DOES happen. If you want to prove something, present some evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolokea View Post
The proof I speak of is in the discrepancy between quarantine procedures for "common pets" and "guide/service dogs", proving in-and-of itself that the 120 waiting period IS unnecessary.
No, it doesn't prove that at all. It simply proves what Pacific Flights said, that the US Department of Justice overruled the State of Hawai'i on this specific point.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:24 PM

7 posts, read 12,038 times
Default a tale of 2 laws

PF, you tried but sorry I don't buy it. And I do understand it VERY clearly. You're side-stepping the point every time. The law, as stated and enforced to everyone else, by Hawaii or the US Justice Dept et al, is still in discrepancy with itself and thus the risks involved. To deny that is to claim that it is OK to make exceptions, however great or small the "risk", when it comes to the health and wellbeing of other animals and the humans they could infect, just for the sake of a few people. It only takes 1 animal to start the spread, as I stated earlier, and regardless of how great or small "the risk", it can still get started by the one animal that an exception is made of. THE LAW is in discrepancy with itself, period. It is also in discrepancy with its other laws. Hawaii prides itself on its strict law enforcement to keep rabies out of the state so it can boast having healthy animals, YET, as I said before, it does little to enforce the laws which it already has on-the-books for the protection of its own resident animals/pets. The 2 laws themselves are in discrepancy of one anothers enforcement objectives - a case that is a serious dichotomy that needs lobbied against so that all animals in Hawaii are safe, protected, and have an equal opportunity for being well-cared-for, healthy and loved.

I'm not advocating doing away with the procedures themselves -- except for the microchipping, and that's another story! -- but that the 120 day wait is medically unnecessary, period. And please don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about on this matter too. I have my sources.

Please don't protect one set of laws while turning a blind eye to the other ones you don't want to see, admit to, or do anything about.

Kolokea

Old 03-06-2012, 05:47 PM

7 posts, read 12,038 times
Default won't dance with the devil

Ah-ha, I can see where OpenD and PF are coming from!!! Sorry guys, no dice. Won't play this mindgame with you. .... The law itself remains in discrepancy with itself, period.

Lucywe, glad we're on the same page! I totally agree. Will look over the website and share it with others. If you know any law students there, inform them that they can build a legal case on this matter, which they can use as part of their clinical practice requirements.

I used to live at Laupahoehoe, BI, and the neighbor had about 12 roosters/huts at the end of our back yard. We had to wear earplugs at night for the 4 yrs we lived there. Later we purchased a lot at Hawaiian Paradise Park, BI, only to later learn that the new fancy house going up behind us had purchased 2 lots and was installing about 30 roosters/huts for c--ck breeding and, of course, fighting [this forum perceives the 'c' word for roosters as obscene, so must resort to non-Hawaiian term of 'rooster(s)']. Fortunately we managed to sell the land to someone who didn't mind it [was also into it themselves].

There are so many discrepancies in these laws and the enforcement of the laws from one to another that it's not funny. Someone there needs to take a stand with all of this so justice can prevail in one way just as much as it does in another. This is the whole point and needs to be kept to the point, not steered off sideways by those yeahoos trying to waltz us through mindgames of distraction from the point.

Stay clear and focused Lucywe! ...... Kolokea

Old 03-06-2012, 06:23 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucywe View Post
... Rabies vaccines and the others that are given annually (7 in one) are making animals come down with more disease, cancer, immune mediated diseases like auto immune.
Where do you come up with this stuff?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:13 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,678,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Where do you come up with this stuff?
There is a consulting company on the mainland that clients want to make legal dog fighting, They work for puppy mills. They promote overturning laws on animal cruelty. Any law that provides any protection to animals is in their sights and targeted. They have been miserable in getting any of these things done or overturning laws. So they went out and figured out that instead of attacking the laws straight on, they will attack it from behind. They go and created all sorts of nonprofit organizations aimed at saying something the average person will support but under it all they are really looing to get rid of the law.

Examples are there is a group that has targeted the Humane Society of the US under the impression they are trying to educate people about the misuse of funds from HSUS or how HSUS doesn't do enough for animals. Strip away their clever sounding name and what they claim is their mission and under it you find several of the largest and most often cited puppy mill operators who are the normal target of the HSUS. 2 of the largest finacial donors of that charity watching group are known dog fighting promoters.

Hawaii's quarantine laws have made in near impossible for outside puppy mills to bring dogs into Hawaii. First they must get a vet check and thats something these mills are against because it may turn up a problem with their dogs. The rabies requirment means they can't get those way too yooung for travel dogs on the market on hawaii and even a 120 day wait can cause them to be too old for the cute puppy sales.

What they have done is to attack the rabboes requirment using all sort of smoking mirrors and double speak. Fancy sounding reserach is also a
good way to amke their claims sound valid. In the end everyone on Hawaii knows the truth and just about everyone wants the wuarantine procedure to remain as it is. But from time to tme these groups will make a sad try of creating some for of controversy over the procedure. If you read what they write, the truth of them being flakes can be read in their writing. Pay them no mind and they ususally decompose.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:34 PM

Thanks, Pacific Flights.

I figured something was amiss when one of the links on their website was to a report by the CDC that doesn't actually exist - and the CDC info that I then read actually contradicts their "claims".

Old 03-07-2012, 02:20 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,810,264 times
Here is another thought about why making it easier to bring in cats and dogs is discouraged (and yes, the quarantine law is a discouragement).

Limiting
the number of cats and dogs coming into Hawaii is supported by many animal welfare/rescue groups. The less animals that come in, the more likelyhood that a cat or dog already in Hawaii that needs a home will be adopted. It is reported that:
Quote:
Humane societies and animal care organizations across Hawaii collectively treat and take in more than 50,000 animals each year.
http://www.humanesociety.org/assets/...ation_2012.pdf

Yes, some are returned to owners, some are sick, and some are feral. But a majority are adoptable animals that are killed.

Less animals brought in = more chance for those already alive in Hawaii.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:22 AM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
Here is another thought about why making it easier to bring in cats and dogs is discouraged (and yes, the quarantine law is a discouragement).

Limiting the number of cats and dogs coming into Hawaii is supported by many animal welfare/rescue groups. The less animals that come in, the more likelyhood that a cat or dog already in Hawaii that needs a home will be adopted. It is reported that:

Yes, some are returned to owners, some are sick, and some are feral. But a majority are adoptable animals that are killed.

OK, I have to call BULLSH*T on this. Do you really think the majority of people that think about bringing their pet to Hawaii would go, "Dang, quarantine is hard. I'll just drop Fluffy off at the pound here in Alabama and get me a new Hawaiian dog."

Seriously?

There are many easier ways to control animal population. Unfortunately too many people make money breeding, killing and trying to keep from killing pets.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post

Limiting
the number of cats and dogs coming into Hawaii is supported by many animal welfare/rescue groups. The less animals that come in, the more likelyhood that a cat or dog already in Hawaii that needs a home will be adopted. It is reported that:

And what would be wrong with that?

All islands have a feral cat problem already, with bird populations being decimated by those feral cats.

There are so many dogs here it is beyond ridiculous (and I like dogs). Most people here treat their dogs differently than people on the mainland. Neglect is the 1st thing that comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii