U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-01-2010, 03:11 PM

4,919 posts, read 9,729,088 times
Its like this. When the aircraft enters Hawaii State boundaries, the animal must be inside a crate with no direct contact with any other animals. When the plane is on the ground and comes to its unloading area, the airline is to immediately unload the animals and crates, and take it to the airport quarantine station for processing.

Those two rules are very easy rule for the airlines to follow. It is a hard rule for the passenger to follow. Passengers don't obey these rules and the hassles of dealing with passengers and their pets outweighed the advantage to the airlines. So they stop allowing animals in the cabin.

If you take a private flight or using a cargo only flight, they do the exact same thing except on a private flight, you have to only deal with yourself, and on a cargo only flight, your not there to cause any problems.

I see the rules changing to make it some law because even with these simple steps, passengers still try to sneak animals onboard. The airlines are mad because they have little in the way of actions they can take except to turn around and land. They are asking the federal government and the state of Hawaii to enact rules so when someone violates them, the government can charge the person with a violation of laws.

Every day animals arrive on Hawaii as they have for years. It is not the good people and their animals who cause the problems. It only takes a few to muck it up for everyone.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,522 times
The animal quarantine is outrageous. It costs $1,000 for each pet just to have them sit in a prison cell and occasionally have food tossed at them. You can not visit them everyday as some have said. The place is closed on Mondays and Fridays. All other days of the week they have specific visiting hours so if you have a regular 9-5 job you will not get to visit your pets except on weekends. If you do not plan to buy a car at first then you will be stuck taking the bus to get to the Quarantine office. The bus will drop you off about a 30 minute walk from the quarantine so you must plan for an hour just in walking time to and from the bus stop. Also the bus to get to the quarantine from Honolulu is either 54 or 11. These buses are very unreliable on time so all in all you have to plan for at least an hour and a half travel time just to get to the quarantine to see your pets and an hour and a half to get back. Visiting hours are exclusively in the afternoon they have no morning hours so again depending on your job you may only see them every so often.
The cages are in the open air (outside) and very uncomfortable for us just visiting let alone for our babies who LIVE there for now!!! The mosquitoes are terrible and I am afraid of the affect they will have on our cats after so long. Every time we visit we get eaten up by mosquitoes!! Your pet will be exposed to any animals next to them as cages are connected by a small chain link fence which paws can fit right through. One of my cats is constantly being harassed by the cat next to her.Your pets can not share a cage no matter what. All you can do is apply for joint visitation where they can be combined under certain circumstances but after your visit you must separate them again.
The quarantine also requires that you register with a local vet on THEIR "approved" list. If you do not do this they will not even allow YOU to visit your own pet!!!! They will not follow any feeding instructions and the people feeding your pet are not very friendly or knowledgeable at all!! Don't ask them anything because they don't know and they will always claim that the main "caretaker" has been out sick for a long time. There is not really anyone who is paying much attention to your pet so don't go too long without visiting!!!
The cages are cleaned by a water hose simply spraying them down and yes this is done while your pet is in there (very traumatic for a cat). Any toys etc. will simply get soaked with water!! The cage always seems to have water on the floor and the sun exposure is quite intense so plan ahead!! If your pet has long hair I suggest getting it shaved even cats are being shaved to keep them cool (remember this cost over $1,000!).
Anyways, that is my advice and opinion on the quarantine. My cats have been in there unfortunately for one month already. They still have one and a half remaining. We were able to start the process before moving but, like most with jobs...we were not able to sit around off of work for the full 4 months before moving.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:27 PM

2,058 posts, read 2,868,038 times
Default Ohhhh...

Sorry you're having such a horrible experience. Wish you had been given time for alternate plans such as possibly leaving them w/friends or family and shipping them later. But, I'm sure you did the best under your circumstances.
Just remember that they will feel your angst and anger and it will effect them as well. I'm sure it will be better once it's all over.
Koale

Old 01-28-2011, 01:08 AM

5,634 posts, read 8,991,548 times
My friend put a cat through quarantine (this was back when it was 120 days long) and after the cat got out of quarantine the first thing it did was run away and he never saw it again. My sister-in-law put her dog through quarantine and it forgot every single thing it had learned in puppy school and she had to completely retrain it. It's a pretty traumatic experience for the animals, so don't expect it to act normal when it gets out. You may have to retrain it or keep it contained for awhile after it is released from quarantine.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:00 AM

11,383 posts, read 8,996,850 times
The quarantine hassle is primarily due to the fact that Hawai'i is the only state that has no rabies. And the powers that be intend to keep it that way.

Given the long, sad history of all the things that have gotten loose in Hawai'i and wreaked havoc, I fully support rigorous enforcement of the law. I feel compassion for people's difficulties complying with the law, but I remind you that the choice to bring pets with you is just that... a choice.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:08 AM

3,487 posts, read 5,405,228 times
OpenD: There is a little more to it than that. Did you know that Hawaii Dept of Ag has never had a pet that had to go through quarantine to actually be found to have rabies? There are a lot of government, UNION jobs that depend on the entire quarantine process continuing, as is. It was a big stink several years ago when it was changed to the 3 day or less program and the direct release at the airport programs. Still, no pets ever found with rabies.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:27 AM

4,919 posts, read 9,729,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
OpenD: There is a little more to it than that. Did you know that Hawaii Dept of Ag has never had a pet that had to go through quarantine to actually be found to have rabies? There are a lot of government, UNION jobs that depend on the entire quarantine process continuing, as is. It was a big stink several years ago when it was changed to the 3 day or less program and the direct release at the airport programs. Still, no pets ever found with rabies.
The big stink was due to service animals and ADA, not union jobs. After the service animal process was shown to be workable to all animals, they extended it to everyone.

It is not true that hawaii has never had an animal come through that was not found to have rabbies. They have not had any domestic pets come through that showed rabbies because odds are at the price one have to pay for mainland rabbies to meet the direct release or the cost of what they have to pay at Hawaii's quarantine, the pets are probably well taken care of and are curent on rabbies. I don't think anyone is going to go through the hoops and pay that money unless they were pretty sure the animal is healthy. Most pets at HDoA quarantine are pets for those who moved but didn;t have enough time to complete the process for direct release but that don;t mean it wasn't well kept pets.

The whole hawaii quarantine process is designed to keep rabbies off the island not to catch animals entering with it. How many pets that were destined to Hawaii never made the trip because KSU would not clear them? If KSU says no, are you still going to pay the expense to bring it to Hawaii knowing it will be seized at entry and euthanized is KSU identifed the presence of rabbies? Will you be willing to spend all the money to bring and animal and pay for the full quarantine if you didn;t think the pet would pass? Most pets at quaratine have had prior rabbies vaccines, just not to the strict requirments of Hawaii.

Dont want to jump on you but this is such a common sense thing that making it sound like unions or its a wasteful thing is just garbage talk.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:47 AM

11,383 posts, read 8,996,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
There is a little more to it than that. The quarantine process also serves as a deterrent, just as the presence of a metal detector at a building door deters people from carrying weapons in. Keeping the quarantine process difficult discourages people from bringing pets in, especially sick pets, which is a good thing, because it helps suppress all the other nasty diseases and parasites they may be carrying. Keeping rabies out is the banner cause, but it isn't the only reason.

And it is only part of a much broader effort to keep out all kinds of things that can wreak havoc in the lush growing conditions here. I'm reminded of the recent comment in another thread about turning back containers of Christmas trees that don't pass inspection. That has deterrent value to keep the shippers on their toes, and to discourage them from trying to pass off marginal goods. Same same thing.

Ahh, I see that PacificFlights posted similar thoughts while I was writing this. GMTA!

I'm also reminded of a friend who was scheduled to fly to Manila today, but who rescheduled her trip because she is having flu symptoms. If she was going somewhere else, I'd be willing to bet she would have gone ahead and flown today, thereby exposing a plane load of other passengers to infection. But since Manila has body scanning for fever, and a mandatory quarantine for passengers who are presenting as sick on arrival, she decided not to chance it. Same same thing.

Last edited by OpenD; 01-28-2011 at 12:42 PM..

Old 01-28-2011, 12:11 PM

9,481 posts, read 6,479,306 times
PacFlight great post, with great information.

l waited more than a decade to move here so my children would be out of school. waited till the pets had passed on so I wouldn't have to subject them to what was then a far more grueling process than today.

I understand the emotionality of the situation full well but most all of the posts sound like pet owners who seem to be suggesting perhaps they should be exempt because they "know" their pet would clear. besides their pet is too old, too sick, would be scared in cargo....on and on.

the pet threads that pop up here griping about the law, what hoops their pet jumps through to be cleared, is designed to keep rabies out.

the state should be and is aggressive in keeping rabies out of hawaii. if readying your pet for travel with heath records and paying for all of it, is not what you're up for then, postpone your move. the time is not right for you.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:52 AM

2,058 posts, read 2,868,038 times
Cool Your fault...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisita424 View Post
My wife and I are going through hell right now. We have spent a small fortune getting her to Oahu. We got all the shots, did the blood work, got the certificates, got a passing negative result from Kansas, No rabbies! No rabies means no rabies. They still want to keep her for three months to observe her, it is such a scam to get there state funding and keep their staff employed. The place is depressing, outdoors, dogs going crazy, a prison for dogs. The first time we went there we felt sick, I balled my eyes out, our dog is like our kid. What they are doing is completly wrong, there has got to be a way to stop this.
The good folks at Quarantine are holding your pet because something isn't quite right either with your animal or your paperwork. It's that simple and it's probably a matter you could have avoided had you paid attention to the
guidelines. I have mentioned many times regarding this sort of thing that the AG Dept. does not mess around w/inaccurate paperwork. For example...
when I landed in Honolulu and was clearing my dog there was a very upset woman in a wheelchair that couldn't believe they were going to hold her standard Poodle until they could contact the animals Vet on the Mainland...sorry if it was a Saturday and he wouldn't be back until Wednesday...not their problem. It seems the woman had boarded the pet as a 'Service Animal'...all well and good, however, nowhere in all their paperwork did the Vet mention what sort of 'Service' the dog was providing. So either the Vet was going to clear this animal for entrance into the State of HI or the dog was going into 120 days of Quarantine. She had tried to 'slip one by' and got caught doing it. Live and learn.
Koale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii