Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 12:53 PM

2 posts, read 39,308 times

Advertisements

hi, i presently live in Montreal, Quebec and i need a life changing experience. i know that sounds so cheesy, but it true. i need to get out of here, and Hawaii sounds pretty good to me. does anyone have any good links to get info about which island would best suit me, how much money would be needed to get started, etc. i did intense google searches and all i could find would be shady websites i would have to pay and sign up to. thank you very much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 06:02 PM

1 posts, read 19,619 times
Default Moving to Hawai`i from Canada

Aloha cedrikjones,

I too am from Canada and I currently reside on Maui. You asked which island might best suit you, but you didn't give anything to go on other than to say you're from Montréal and that you need a life changing experience. How life changing do you need? If you enjoy the amenities of Montréal and want to have access to a similar lifestyle, O`ahu is the island for you. But if you are looking for something entirely different, you may prefer a different island. You need to define what you are looking for. I've lived on O`ahu, the Big Island and now Maui. I have yet to see Kaua`i, which I understand is very beautiful, but all of the islands have their own distinct beauty.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:42 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,063 times
Before you consider moving, try to read "So you want to live in Hawaii" - it provides a lot of insight about relocating to the islands.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 39,308 times
thanks alot latebloomer. im kind of guy who likes the upbeat life, but also wants the chance to relax. im not too sure how else to say it. i think what i really need to just do is get out of here. i have another question. how easy, or difficult, was it to get a work visa? i heard is very hard and time consuming.

Old 06-08-2008, 10:57 AM

15 posts, read 77,146 times
Good suggestion MarO! I've read the book a couple of times now and there is plenty of information in the book to give you an idea of life in Hawaii and the differences between the islands. It is out dated but it still offers plenty of valid info.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 19,489 times
I'm thinking of moving to Hawaii too and I'm wondering how you worked out the immigration issues.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:13 PM

7 posts, read 39,113 times
Immigration?-where are you from? It's in the US dude! If you are coming from another country it is the same visa you need for anywhere else in the US.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:26 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,017,648 times
I believe the OP holds a Canadian citizenship, so for them, Hawaii IS a foreign country.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:14 PM

287 posts, read 1,371,800 times
For you Canadian folks....the agreement between the US and Canada is that Canadians have an automatic maximum 6 months visitor's visa. You can not work with a visitor's visa your are required to get a work permit if you want to work....simply put your options are 1. have and American company hire you and they will do the paperwork 2. apply to legally immigrate to the US 3. come here as an investor and open a business which will entitle you to a work visa if you meet the investment criteria....ALL of which is easier said than done you will have to deal with a bit of buracracy....just a bit! Good luck to you...

Old 05-28-2009, 04:50 PM

43 posts, read 133,118 times
Better get used to seeing cockroaches. Especially the big fat juicy ones. More so on Oahu than on the other islands. Bet you don't see those in Canada. You're in for a culture shock. Heck. I'm born and raised here, and I still get freaked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii