Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 02:14 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,941,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
Later, a lifeguard went by were my friends and I were sitting and one of my friends asked: "How do you choose who goes into the water?" The lifeguards bold response: "We sterotype."
My son's best friend had his back broken at Sandy about forty years ago.

Maybe the stereotyping at Sandy has to do with their assessment of your body-surfing abilities.

If so......... in my not-so-humble opinion, that's a good thing.

Hank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 03:47 PM

617 posts, read 2,072,352 times
I've been very blunt about racism in Hawaii in this forum but this situation doesn't measure up to that. Those lifeguards were doing their jobs and protecting you. When you questioned them, you were questioning their knowledge and expertise. They didn't owe you an explanation.

Rather than being offended, you ought to be grateful that you were not allowed to put yourself in harm's way. I've never been to Sandy but the conditions I saw at the northern end of Kapa'a scared the heck out of me. Thank heavens I know my own limitations. And thank heavens a lifeguard was nearby when you overestimated your abilities.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:46 PM

649 posts, read 3,443,520 times
I would agree, IF the OP had said that the lifeguard had observed him in the water for a short time BEFORE telling him to get out. Or if the lifeguard had explained WHAT it was about the "equipment" that wasn't acceptable, and why. But a true expert can do things with lousy (or seemingly lousy) equipment, and be safe, whereas an inexperienced person will never be saved by better equipment. So to say that he "didn't have the right equipment" without even seeing what he was going to do with it, how he was going to handle himself in the water - unless there were a blanket rule, applied to everyone, that something (e.g., a tether, fins, whatever) was required - does seem unreasonable to me, regardless of any racial issue.

Oh, and were the 3- and 4-year olds using boogie boards? What if the OP had simply attempted to go in to swim, without a board? Would he still have been told that he didn't have the proper equipment? How could the lifeguard justify letting a 3-year-old into the water and not an apparently physically-fit man? No 3-year old has developed the perception and judgment necessary to deal with dangerous surf.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:37 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
Oh, and were the 3- and 4-year olds using boogie boards? What if the OP had simply attempted to go in to swim, without a board? Would he still have been told that he didn't have the proper equipment? How could the lifeguard justify letting a 3-year-old into the water and not an apparently physically-fit man? No 3-year old has developed the perception and judgment necessary to deal with dangerous surf.

The little kids are good out there.

No way to know.. the op could have approached the lifeguard with an attitude or even honest frustration and embarrasment. Sandy's isnt a locals only beach, except to the left side. Maybe he was swimming into some other kind of trouble waiting just outside. I

Old 06-17-2008, 07:43 PM

649 posts, read 3,443,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Sandy's isnt a locals only beach, except to the left side.
Please explain "locals only beach"... last I heard all beaches in Hawaii were public. Where I come from "public" means anybody is free to go there.

What happens if a visitor goes to a "locals only beach"? Do they get beaten up? Forcibly removed? Called names? And when I move to Hawaii, how long must I live there before I can go to a "locals only beach"? Until the other "locals" know me? Never? How about my son? What about if he was born in Hawaii of transplanted parents? Would he then be a "local"? Would the answers be different if we were not caucasian?

Also, what would have happened if the OP had gone in despite the lifeguard's warning? Would he have been arrested? "Rescued" against his will and dragged to shore? Is it illegal to swim at a beach if the lifeguard tells you not to? I am seriously curious about this. Though most of the beaches I frequent don't seem to have lifeguards, I just wonder what is the extent of their authority.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:48 PM

812 posts, read 2,306,628 times
I was born and raised in Hawaii. I am part Caucasian w/ fair skin. I find the "h" word deragatory and it always was when I was growing up. Till this day I will never acknowledge myself that way. Only as part Caucasian. They have never treated Caucasian people well there and that is the biggest reason I left Hawaii I love the mainland and my Hawaiian son has never been able to use the "h" word ever. He was taught to respect people. It's really a shame. I'm sorry you went through that stero type. I understand!

Old 06-18-2008, 01:22 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,507,698 times
Quote:
Please explain "locals only beach"... last I heard all beaches in Hawaii were public. Where I come from "public" means anybody is free to go there.
Same in Hawaii as the rest of the coastal states. No worries.

Quote:
What happens if a visitor goes to a "locals only beach"? Do they get beaten up? Forcibly removed? Called names? And when I move to Hawaii, how long must I live there before I can go to a "locals only beach"? Until the other "locals" know me? Never? How about my son? What about if he was born in Hawaii of transplanted parents? Would he then be a "local"? Would the answers be different if we were not caucasian?
Again, you can go to any beach you want, but need to learn about the conditions for that day, any physical hazards, reefs etc. and what your limitations are. The ocean will initiate you in its own way if you are not attentive. If you plan on surfing in hawaii, I suggest you pick up a few surf magazines, especially the hawaii issue for further commentary on ediquate.
If you dont plan to surf, again no worries

Quote:
Also, what would have happened if the OP had gone in despite the lifeguard's warning? Would he have been arrested? "Rescued" against his will and dragged to shore? Is it illegal to swim at a beach if the lifeguard tells you not to? I am seriously curious about this. Though most of the beaches I frequent don't seem to have lifeguards, I just wonder what is the extent of their authority.

Most likely he would have either been either rescued, slapped back to shore by the waves, made it about 10-15 feet out and received a pummeling by the waves until he grew tired. Then either washed back in or assisted. Or he would have made it way out there and have that fear of catching the wave set in, Stuck and unable to make the drop or more famously..kept going out and out. The helicopter rescue is pretty a expensive bill I hear.

Lifeguards call people out at Zuma Beach all day long in the summer. They pick on the guys who have big blue styrofoam boards, flounderers, guys with no fins, leashes, or other once in awhilers. Anyone wearing a big tee shirt gets called out if conditions warrant. Same with Newport, Huntington, and many others. charge up to them and say "why me", and you will get a real smart a** remark no matter where you are.

I dont live in hawaii, but Im sure there are others who do and they will concure that the lifeguard isnt going to risk his safety or that of a beachgoer.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:12 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
Default life guards have a tough job

I don't think there was any racial motivation in this incident in all honesty. Our first trip to the Islands was to Maui And we spent a lot of time down on Kam 3 in Kehei which has a nasty break on the shallows. On our second day we were hailed by a lifeguard who was watching us and not liking what he saw. His attitude was terse at the outset but changed almost right away as soon as we showed we were willing to listen and learn. These guys haul folks out of the surf every day who won't listen and this has to get old fast! It behooves one to take a little time to gather some information on the seemingly simple and easy looking activities (such as boogie boarding) before piling into the surf and getting unexpectedly moshed by a shallow shore break. The lifeguards have to deal with so many people who take the ocean for granted and fire up when they try to help that it's not surprising that thier attitudes can seem rough, however, pulling folks out of the waves who are gravely injured( or worse got thier young child hurt) because of an " i'm paying for this and I'll do what I want" attitude can do that to a feller. For what these lifeguards have to see and deal with on a daily basis they are seriously underpaid and under respected. Is there any amount of money that would make it easy to see a child with a broken neck?! My hats off to the lifeguards!

Old 06-18-2008, 09:16 AM

195 posts, read 972,244 times
When I lived in Hawaii Kai I used to go to Sandy Beach all the time. I never swam there, just walked around and caught little fish in the tide pools during low tide. I never witnessed any kind of racism towards haoles whatsoever. If you don't want to go where the locals go, go to Hanauma bay.. it's all a bunch of japanese tourists. just don't get sucked away in the flush bowls. This is why I live in Michigan. Lakes, no oceans. That means no sharks, no super high waves, no surfing, and NO JELLY FISH!

Old 06-24-2008, 10:53 AM

247 posts, read 1,289,374 times
The last time I was at Sandy Beach, someone drowned. The lifeguards may not be the most tactful folks, but they are trying to prevent a tragedy - give them a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: