Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2018, 09:54 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times

Advertisements

It is all a trade off. That’s why when people who are enamored with Hawaii from their one week vacation decide to pack up the family and move, we have to bring them back down to earth by explaining the realities of living in “paradise”. Then they get mad at us for being so “negative”. We even get accused of trying to keep people from moving here because we want it all for ourselves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 11:36 AM

919 posts, read 789,744 times
I think most of us do appreciate hearing a balanced view of what living in Hawaii is like. Some members here are negative though - there's a difference.

Me, I'm getting packed, bringing some tools and stuff. Will be getting our place all fixed up. I don't know if and when Ill be able to live full time on Maui, but I've listened well to all the posters here and learned a lot.
Aloha

Old 09-01-2018, 11:41 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauialoha View Post
I think most of us do appreciate hearing a balanced view of what living in Hawaii is like. Some members here are negative though - there's a difference.

Me, I'm getting packed, bringing some tools and stuff. Will be getting our place all fixed up. I don't know if and when Ill be able to live full time on Maui, but I've listened well to all the posters here and learned a lot.
Aloha
One step closer! 👍. When will you come over to work on your place?

Old 09-01-2018, 12:45 PM

Monday and I'm really thrilled. Been planning this for a long time

Old 10-21-2018, 08:08 AM

112 posts, read 96,846 times
Good info from all sides...we're headed to BI in the next couple months.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:09 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,253,963 times
Post is 10 years old. Lots of good information and experiences.

Old 11-05-2018, 06:50 AM

112 posts, read 96,846 times
We're just about packed up, have multiple offers on our house. I am headed to BI this week to pick out a house for us.

It's been a long time coming but we are ready to leave Dallas behind.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:31 AM

181 posts, read 175,868 times
We had first considered moving to Hawaii from SoCal 14 years ago but decided to stay on the mainland because of family. Well we aren't getting any younger and we decided that they (family) can get on a plane. We started 18 months ago thinking about and looking a properties online and then this past August went to the Big Island to look at properties. It hasn't been easy but a 2nd trip over and we just closed escrow on our home in Ocean View and have really begun the process of getting moved. Like alot of people we are trying to get rid of as much mainland "stuff" before we move and absorb as much of the "Aloha" as we can. It will be 1 more trip before we are able to be completely on island full time but we are hoping by the end of the year we can call it home.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:23 PM

Congratulations! That's awesome So what did you buy a sfh? I've never been to the BI just kinda settled on Maui. But wow, you re really are putting me to shame we've had our place 3 1/2 years and i don't know yet when I'll be moving over.
Dave

Old 02-20-2019, 01:55 PM

361 posts, read 398,356 times
I guess this thread goes to show that people tend to relate to, or like the places that they were born in and grew up in.

I was born and raised on Oahu.

I have moved away from home three years ago because I could not find a job in the health care industry that I work in.

Been living on the mainland for almost three years (but I have been living in other parts of the mainland previously, prior to moving back to Hawaii), and beginning to hate living out here (seattle area). People here are so snotty, cold, anti-social.

Beginning to make me go crazy. I'm dead serious!

I cannot wait to move back to Hawaii! I really MISS the aloha and the local food.

I could say the same thing that the OP complained about of how she is fed up with Hawaii, her workplace, her co-workers, her life, etc.....except that I replace Hawaii with seattle or other mainland cities I have lived in, in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii