Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2011, 02:08 AM

805 posts, read 1,509,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
G'morning!

I've just read through all seven pages of comments on this thread and couldn't help but notice how prominently the greenback factors into most people's evaluation of what is good and what isn't. ( to the poster who figured out that food, shelter, love, and family constitute true wealth in this life ). Money isn't the only medium of exchange, and if you're healthy it's entirely possible to live without it - BTDT many times. (Nowadays, I require meds., so a little money is needed.)

That said, in my experience happiness doesn't depend upon a geographical location, it's a state of mind, or rather, of the heart and spirit, I believe, although I must admit to having my favorites, and Maui and the Big Island rank high on my list. (We plan to move to the BI in the New Year - God Willing.)

I've traveled much of the world but was born and raised on an island dominated by mountains and ocean, and I loved it, but the climate was cold and damp - very, so not the best place to hang your hat if you have injuries and other health issues that tend to creep up on us if we are allowed to hang around long enough to bid farewell to youth, hence the move to Hawai'i.

I love Hawai'i but then I like 'remote,' and while I've lived most of my life 'center stage,' I am in no way social. Please don't misunderstand, I *love* people one on one, but I seem to need peace and quiet, I always have, especially when writing my novels, music, and songs, or capturing the 'perfect' frame. There's something about the peace of the wilderness that lends itself well to creating, don't you find? After all, we're all artists in one way or another.

I find it fascinating that as humans we're alike in so many ways, yet drastically different in others. Several of my own children *hate* (I'm using the word 'hate' here) remote living, preferring the social and cultural aspects and convenience of city life, and DH and I love to live 'At the highway's end,' and almost always have, a few locations while in the missionary field notwithstanding. It's a good thing that most of us have a choice in the matter, no?

About supply problems in remote locations. I've learned that it's advantageous to be a prepper (a person who has a larder that will see them through at least a year - and several years is better) and a good veggie garden and a few chickens and goats can provide most of life's necessities, provided that clean drinking water isn't a problem. It may take a couple of years to raise, grow, 'can' (using Mason jars), and dry enough food to stock a healthy larder, but it can be done - even on a shoestring - BTDT too. If you don't live in a location where it's possible to keep chickens and goats then fish and hunt as you can - we've been obliged to take both routes from time to time, or simply live on fruit and veggies, which we did for decades - many of 'em gathered from the wild.

Storing required meds in vacuum-sealed Mylar is sensible too (and can also be done on a shoestring over several months), and with a little foresight and planning, it takes much of the stress out of day-to-day living if you aren't dependent on the supply lines of others for survival, and it isn't wise to be in these turbulent times. It doesn't noticeably strain the weekly budget to add an extra item or two to your shopping cart, and those items build up quickly. (Not so long ago I made and stored five years' worth of heavy-duty soup mix for less than $1,000 - and we still have it - although it will be going to the nearest food bank before we make the move to Hawai'i. No matter, I'm glad it will be of use to those who need it.)

Living simply is not only possible, it's peaceful, and 'prepping' is a challenging and fun way of life. It feels good to learn how to waste nothing, especially now that the planet has so little in the way of surplus... anything. I suppose that encapsulates what I was attempting to skim over earlier.

With regard to racism, I've never understood why people who descend from the same common ancestors (and we all do) insist on creating divisions and sects amongst themselves. God *did* create all of us equal, after all. We're all born, we all die, we all need love to survive, and we all cry salt tears and bleed red.

We've chosen (or rather, been led to) a remote, cliff top, oceanfront location on the windward side of the BI, and there aren't many standing in line to populate the place, thank God! Still, I'm looking forward to making friends with the population of the nearest small town. DH and I have always felt at home in Hawai'i, it's one of the friendliest places on Earth, and we're blessed in that we can work from anywhere nowadays, thanks to the invention of the Internet.

For those of you who're leaving the islands, may God be with you, and may you find what you're looking for elsewhere. For those who're staying, perhaps we'll chance to meet. I'd like that.

Mahala.

Mahrie.

If everyone had your attitude and lifestyle, we'd truly be able to build a utopia for all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,616 times
Aloha!! �� it's Nice to read all about hawaii and the difficulties of mainland folks trying to adjust our Aloha standard life! It's been 10 year I live in Maui.. now I start wondering how I survived here ?But I really wanted to tell ya guys..Hawaii is for people those who love to balanced the life and enjoy island Ocean hoods.Not for those Who lived in city and living high profile life between 4 walls and looking down on not wearing suits and expensive MK watch��well hawaii is heaven and brotherhoods style..after long working day holding beer and jump in Ocean to release long tiring day out!I am earning low Income..less then that,I don't need fancy Car or expensive things,all I need nice bed to hop in and good 3meal a day..which I can provide myself in little Income! As much as U keep low desire You can sure survive! But If you trying to be have high 5 life..Mann you are doomed in Hawaii Ocean for sure..come to Hawaiian level and enjoy!! Live your mainland in closet!��be Human for while and enjoy the Mother Nature with us won't cause you nothing trust me,,Then U feel it real Alohaaaaa hawaii(Rainbow State)Land of Paradise!!������✌️��

Old 09-04-2015, 05:03 PM

430 posts, read 639,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiResident View Post
Aloha!! �� it's Nice to read all about hawaii and the difficulties of mainland folks trying to adjust our Aloha standard life! It's been 10 year I live in Maui.. now I start wondering how I survived here ?But I really wanted to tell ya guys..Hawaii is for people those who love to balanced the life and enjoy island Ocean hoods.Not for those Who lived in city and living high profile life between 4 walls and looking down on not wearing suits and expensive MK watch��well hawaii is heaven and brotherhoods style..after long working day holding beer and jump in Ocean to release long tiring day out!I am earning low Income..less then that,I don't need fancy Car or expensive things,all I need nice bed to hop in and good 3meal a day..which I can provide myself in little Income! As much as U keep low desire You can sure survive! But If you trying to be have high 5 life..Mann you are doomed in Hawaii Ocean for sure..come to Hawaiian level and enjoy!! Live your mainland in closet!��be Human for while and enjoy the Mother Nature with us won't cause you nothing trust me,,Then U feel it real Alohaaaaa hawaii(Rainbow State)Land of Paradise!!������✌️��
That might be true about the rural islands but not Oahu. Most people don't seem to spend much time at the beach. They are busy working or commuting. Or on the weekend they don't want to spend 2 hours in traffic to go to the beach. Fancy cars rule the roads. There are more Lexus cars than Chevy cars. Well, not so much cars as SUVs.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:27 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
Most people don't seem to spend much time at the beach. They are busy working or commuting. Or on the weekend they don't want to spend 2 hours in traffic to go to the beach. Fancy cars rule the roads. There are more Lexus cars than Chevy cars. Well, not so much cars as SUVs.
Huh? While we can debate "most" means 50% or more, a high percentage of people who live on Oahu go to the beach.

2 hour drive on the weekend???I'm 10 minutes door to door in Kailua, but I can drive to the North Shore and back in 2 hours. I can drive to Waimanalo beaches in 20 minutes, Sandy beach in 30 minutes, and Waikiki in 35 minutes.

Fancy cars rule the road? While I agree there are plenty of Lexus cars on the road we can debate if I'd call them fancy.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:06 AM

258 posts, read 421,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Huh? While we can debate "most" means 50% or more, a high percentage of people who live on Oahu go to the beach.

2 hour drive on the weekend???I'm 10 minutes door to door in Kailua, but I can drive to the North Shore and back in 2 hours. I can drive to Waimanalo beaches in 20 minutes, Sandy beach in 30 minutes, and Waikiki in 35 minutes.

Fancy cars rule the road? While I agree there are plenty of Lexus cars on the road we can debate if I'd call them fancy.
Seriously I think this person lives in an alternate universe or just has some pretty limited experiences on this island! I make it to the beach on average twice a week (yeah, I'm an exception to the rule since I work part time, so more opportunities) but IME people who don't go to the beach at least once or twice a month it's just because they haven't made it a priority. And taking 2 hours to get there? Come on now, I live in Ewa and it's NEVER taken me 2 hours to get to a beach. Not even when I went to Bellows and there was a traffic jam on H1 and another on H3 and then Kalanianaole Hwy was a crawl. Now, MAYBE, if you are going to a specific beach, on the north shore, on a day where everyone is going to the north shore, it MIGHT take more than an hour and a half. But that's when you just pick a different beach! There's not shortages of beaches here.

~Katy

Old 09-05-2015, 11:30 AM

430 posts, read 639,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

If most people went to the beach regularly the beaches would be packed constantly. This island has almost a million people. If you go to the north Shore beaches you know that isn't the case. The beaches in the populated parts are full all weekend long but if you count up the parking available and used, it's obviously only a small fraction of the island

Last edited by thejackalope; 09-05-2015 at 11:49 AM..

Old 09-05-2015, 01:01 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
That might be true about the rural islands but not Oahu. Most people don't seem to spend much time at the beach. They are busy working or commuting. Or on the weekend they don't want to spend 2 hours in traffic to go to the beach. Fancy cars rule the roads. There are more Lexus cars than Chevy cars. Well, not so much cars as SUVs.
Two hours in traffic to get to a beach on Oʻahu during the weekend? I've driven from Pāhoa to Hilo (30 minutes), caught a flight to Honolulu (45 minutes), picked up a rental car (10 minutes), and driven to Lanikai Beach (33 minutes) during weekends.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:59 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,894,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
picked up a rental car (10 minutes), and driven to Lanikai Beach (33 minutes) during weekends.
And you probably had time to stop by and say hello and have a beer.

Old 09-05-2015, 10:43 PM

133 posts, read 182,251 times
plenty of parking and beach space at bellows/waimanalo today. busier than usual but, i'd hardly call it 'crowded'. people who want to spend time at the beach, do go. and it shouldn't take you two hours to get to a beach. there are beaches all over.

thejackalope, did you use to post under a different name? you sound like a guy who posted about life in maui.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:45 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,406,958 times
Talking ahhh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiResident View Post
Yet another educated Local with fine conversational skills...
K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii