Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:28 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,435,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Maybe you could get a ruptured appendix, ringworm, the measles or something that would keep you hospitalized or at home for several weeks (if it were real) call in sick to work and then go to Hawaii and look for a job. If things are really dire, you could miraculously recover and go back to work without anyone knowing you'd been looking for work in Hawaii. It's kinda like a short sabbatical without the paperwork.

A friend of mine who works in hotels in Waikiki said his hotel was only booked to 38% for Thanksgiving holidays. They are usually already booked solid by now for Thanksgiving and over half booked for Christmas holidays by now. He said the current tourists were the ones who had already made reservations six months ago before airfares went up.
that's a great idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 09:38 AM

151 posts, read 817,191 times
I agree. If you are able to possibly take a leave of absence maybe that would at least give you your old job to fall back on if things don't work out. Then again, some companies get a little antsy/suspicious if you take too long of a leave.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:21 PM

11 posts, read 26,869 times
Well....... I could fake illness. I can get a job anywhere here though. I have come up with a new agenda. Sort of. Maybe I'll post a new thread about it, it'd be interesting to see if anyone else is doing the same. I've opened an account with ING and I'm doing some options trading. A few hours a day in the morning, I've done well on some days and on some days not so well, I averaged 275.00 per day last week. Just on some small investments, a few times a day. I'm gonna try and make a living of this. My boss makes a hell of alot more than that everyday doing the same thing!! We'll see, right.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:57 PM

109 posts, read 603,469 times
$12,000 does not get you much here but a nice vacation. More importantly think of your 3 children going into the public school system, it might be rough on them adjusting.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,716 times
I agree, this is not an easy place to live and the school system is the worst. We have lived here almost 20 years and in the last two years, Maui has changed DRASTICALLY!!! It is a sad thing, we are looking to move off the Island in the next two months, we can't make a living to keep up with the cost of things. We moved here with $100,000.00 and we are not leaving here with much more than our belongings. Think this one through- this is not an easy place- the prices are high, and people do not take too nicely to new people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii