U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-16-2008, 01:09 PM

891 posts, read 639,430 times
Default Senior Portraits Cost, outrageous

Has anyone had to take a small second mortgage for these? I cant believe the price for Life Touch charges. I am not going to go into details, but basically the cheapest package of photos is a joke. And you cant even get them done yourself at another professional photographer for the year book to use them.
No coupons or discounts at all.
Okay off the soapbox.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 8,478 times
I agree the prices are a joke for senior portraits. The smallest package is 2-5x7, 4-4x5 and 24 wallets. The cap & gown prices are better. The smallest package contains 2-8x10, 4-5x7,4-4x5 and 32 wallets for $150.00. Two very different packages for senior from Lifetouch-Prestige. Shame on them for milking people in these hard ecomonic times. True greed!!

Old 03-25-2009, 04:18 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,149 times
You all have to consider that the only way to change that is to get a lot of parents to complain to the school. Lifetouch as well as other contract studios " kick back" a certain percentage back to the school, so you have to consider you are helping the school out. In other parts of the US it is illegal for the school to force you to use a particular studio under the guise of "restraint of trade"
BTW if you think $150 is a lot for senior portraits many people spend 10x that amount, even in areas where the income is lower than hawaii. It just depends on the quality and how much you value senior portraits.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:13 AM

19 posts, read 64,735 times
Here they use Life Touch as well, and they can not refuse your senior to get their photo taken for the yearbook if you don't buy any photos. Why not get the senior picture for the yearbook from Life Touch and buy nothing, then use a different photographer for the keepsake photos and the ones to give to friends and family? Could save you some serious cash by the sound of it.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:29 AM

760 posts, read 1,102,777 times
You know, In my opinion, you would be better off doing your own pictures. I know people who do them, and they turn out great. Don't get scammed, just like those class rings..... I NEVER wear mine, what a waste of $$$.
My kids are in elementary school, and they even are trying to charge a lot of money for kids pics...AND even are selling yearbooks- come on, it's elementary school, who's going to remember that!!
Best of luck in the future! Happy graduation!!

Old 03-25-2009, 10:30 AM

2,576 posts, read 5,482,490 times
When my oldest daughter was a senior we just didn't have a lot of money at the time. I think we had the one photo done for yearbook, then did our own photos for giving out to family and friends. A friend had a really good camera and some photography know-how, so he offered to take the shots for us. We went up to Mt. Charleston (we were living in Vegas at that time) and took some great pictures of her, and the whole family, that day. Had all the enlargements etc done at Walmart or someplace w/ a photo lab and they turned out great.
I agree that the cost of school photos the last 15 years or so is ridiculous. What a racket they've got going. I never heard that any of the schools getting part of the money tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii