Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 11:47 AM

19 posts, read 62,866 times

Advertisements

Well here it goes:

My buddy and I are moving somewhere in hawaii to surf. Were selling our cars and do not plan on having one.

were two young guys coming over with no job or place to live, just a backpack. Thats how we did it in ski country colorado. Housing is not an issue, we will live in a shack if its close to any surfing.

We've both worked in hotels for about 2 years now, but have no trouble taking jobs like washing dishes or something so we can work close to home and surf.

Id say were adventerous to say the least.

As of now my islands of choice are Kauai and Oahu. Kauai because we love nature and not a big fan of cities. Oahu because better chance for work,housing and i want to ask, women?

I know that sounds bad but coming from a ski community, having a girlfriend is winning the lottery, and not a slutty one either, that goes for man whores too.

So we dont care about alot of the trip details, im just trying to find out if kauai is too small for dating scene and if most of the island is rich tards like we got in colorado, you know the kind. And the surf

My bud wants to think about Oahu, hes a native hawaiian and he says Oahu. BUT he dosent surf.

Can anyone shed some light on these or any of the islands for young good looking guys who just want to surf and enjoy the spirit of the hawaiian islands.

note:we both volunteer and try to help our community, thats how we roll. If anyone was wondering i know that kind of stuff goes a long way in tight local communities.

I guess im just trying to live the dream

ALOHA
kalin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2007, 12:38 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,457,849 times
I'm not a surfer, but my friends who are surfers say that the waves are better in Oahu but the downside is that it is a LOT more crowded.

As far as girls go on Kauai...thats always a tough call. Obviously there are a lot of great wahines here but again a lot of my friends complain because a lot of girls are more country, have lots of kids, and are full of drama. Like I said, this doesn't pertain to EVERYONE, but its true for a lot of people. Fresh meat is generally welcomed because after growing up and living with the same people all of ones life, its nice to meet someone new and available!
Most of the people in Kauai aren't rich, so I wouldn't worry about snobby people. In fact, most people work 2 or even 3 jobs to make ends meet or to save up. You can easily mind entry level jobs in the hospitality industry. I work at a hotel and know that finding good help is nearly impossible because the unemployment level is so low.

So...I hope that helps you a bit. Oahu is great for those seeking more urban lifestyles. In Kauai there is a Walmart, Costco and Macy's and thats practically it, whereas Oahu has tons of options. The scenery is spectacular on Kauai and the people are also truly fantastic people.

Old 11-11-2007, 01:32 PM

Thanks for the info Mar0, with your info i really dont know where to visit. And when i mean visit, i mean backpack around untill we find something we like. Were used to living in very expensive areas, we both landed jobs in Vail Co. SNOB SKI central. 3/4 the town is townhomes lived in one week a year. They invest in townhomes, fly in, drive a 12 cyc.
and are participating in killing their own investments, and i think hawaii has the same sort. So we know how to get by in those conditions.

I guess it would be nice to head into the city on Oahu sometimes.Your friends are spot on, but im a novice, so kauai might be better, then move later on to Oahu. Ive got only 15 years of snowboarding to go on. But Kauai has the views.

thanks again, :-D

Old 11-12-2007, 08:57 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,941,580 times
Default Hank's son RD replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato1kalin View Post
Can anyone shed some light on these or any of the islands for young good looking guys who just want to surf and enjoy the spirit of the hawaiian islands.
My son came to Kauai about thirty years ago with a surfboard, his girlfriend (now wife) and little else. He never left. I asked him how he would reply to your first post, and he said:

Kalin,

Welcome to the islands. All the Hawaiian Islands are unique in their own way. Oahu is the gathering place where you’ll find plenty of work, great surf and lots of women. Maui’s got the wind for kiting, windsurfing and some waves. Kauai’s got less wind, some surf but not so many girls. The big island of Hawaii is the last frontier, miles of coastline, snowboarding on Mauna Kea, great deep sea fishing and some surf.

As long as you respect the locals, you’ll be fine. Enjoy the culture, earn a living and stay as long as you like. Some of us have done the same and never left.

Just another haole in Hawaii.

RD

Old 11-12-2007, 05:44 PM

thanks for all the good vibes guys. We thought out a plan. Were going to backpack each island for itself. thanks for the info hank, coming from a ski town the info on Kauai and Oahu are very useful.

ALOHA everybody

Old 11-12-2007, 10:28 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,457,849 times
As per Kauai, you might like exploring the Hanalei area. If you are experienced there is the famous Kalalau Trail and there are tons of other trails in the area and on the west side near Waimea canyon. I am not a hiker, but the hiking is hands down way better over here in Kauai. Hanalei is a really quirky place, a mix of REALLY rich people and a bunch of hippies...I haven't spent a lot of time there because I live south side, but thats the impression I get....

Anyways good luck and let me know if you ever need any help...

Old 11-13-2007, 09:16 AM

thanks everybody

Old 11-09-2008, 11:23 AM

35 posts, read 174,463 times
Interesting post... but I must ask...what are the men like in Kauai? Single, committed, few and far between? Just curious

Old 11-09-2008, 11:25 AM

35 posts, read 174,463 times
hahaha...i just realized that I've revived a really old thread. I wonder why it was at the top of my screen...anywho...now it's revived x2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii