Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 01:18 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times

Advertisements

And if you hire a friend or relative you know who they are and how they will behave and if they misbehave they have family who you also know. A real scathing remark used around here is "they act as if they have no family". When you get a job and your boss knows your auntie, it isn't your boss you have to worry about if you screw up at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 12:20 PM

4 posts, read 13,540 times
Default Relocation to Oahu and Careers that pay well in Oahu

Thank you manoagirl for your very helpful info. You've mentioned that there's a demand in the field of teaching, do you have to have a degree? What are the chances of entry level in teaching if you don't have a degree? I plan to rather attend school full-time and work at school part-time there in Oahu and retire there as well. What are the careers or field that pay well in Oahu and what's the most practical way that I can do now to prepare myself including attending school? Can you give me a practical advice as what's the best route I should go to be able to do that? I look forward to hearing from you as well as from everyone soon. Mahalo and much aloha. Sampaguita1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampaguita1207 View Post
Hello manoagirl,
I'm on the process of getting ready to move to Oahu in June 2009 and I thought about attending school there too, p/t and maybe work for the school too while working on my degree in Accounting. This is the field I'm interested in that I know I can earn an extra income on the side along with being a tax preparer and notary. My kids will be freshman & sophomore college students then. I'm hoping they can get accepted at BYU. Can you give me an idea what my best options will be in Oahu in regards to the field I'm getting in to and what school will be good for me to go for? Thanks and I would appreciate anyone's feedback.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:30 PM

426 posts, read 1,735,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampaguita1207 View Post
Thank you manoagirl for your very helpful info. You've mentioned that there's a demand in the field of teaching, do you have to have a degree? What are the chances of entry level in teaching if you don't have a degree? I plan to rather attend school full-time and work at school part-time there in Oahu and retire there as well. What are the careers or field that pay well in Oahu and what's the most practical way that I can do now to prepare myself including attending school? Can you give me a practical advice as what's the best route I should go to be able to do that? I look forward to hearing from you as well as from everyone soon. Mahalo and much aloha. Sampaguita1207
Good question. I'm wondering this too. Do you think I could get an entry level teaching job with a degree in History? How much do teachers generally make there?

Old 12-13-2008, 12:34 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Default "Government Jobs"

You can't lump "government jobs" together. There are city jobs, county jobs State and Federal. The first three are, generally speaking, more subject to "who you know" and pay less. Federal jobs pay better but the hiring process is more stringent. I worked for the Navy at Pearl Harbor and applied from the mainland. They arranged an interview in San Diego. The job announcement wil state plainly whether relocation expenses are provided.
As for teaching I don't know if there are any states anymore that would let a person teach without a Bachelor's degree. If you have a degree,you should check out the Teach for America website. Last year they were recruiting for Waianae and some other underpriveleged areas in HI. It may be a way in for you. Good luck. Living in HI is a wonderful experience. ,

Old 12-13-2008, 03:36 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,202 times
Default Hawaii Public Schools Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortablyNumb View Post
Good question. I'm wondering this too. Do you think I could get an entry level teaching job with a degree in History? How much do teachers generally make there?
Here is a link to the state's site, which has a pretty good overview: Hawaii Public Schools . There is no direct link to salary info, however if you look at the main page directory, and choose "Jobs," then "Teaching in Hawaii," there is a PDF you can download for salary info.

There is lots of info on this forum about Hawaii's public schools. You use the search feature to read all you care to. I'm sure if you have specific questions afterward, you'll get direct answers here, too.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:27 PM

421 posts, read 2,533,675 times
I visited Oahu back in early November of this year and from what I saw unless you have some sort of degree or marketable trade there isn't much there, and it really depends on what line of work you're in. Heck, they don't even process the pineapples up at the Dole Plantation anymore, from what I was told Oahu is getting beat out by some other country and it was getting too hard to pay the labor costs so they shut the plant down. Tourism seems to be the big attraction there, but there has to be other industries there. I'm a dentist thinking about relocating there in a few years and I know I'll find a job there, I just don't know what island I would want to be on. Everyone tells me to save the money I make back east and be like everyone else and go there for a few months (snowbirds) to get out of the cold weather here.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:51 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
The County of Hawaii just put on a hiring freeze for any new positions and from what I've heard the freeze even extends to the vacancies when folks leave. Our local supermarket chain has a hiring freeze on, now, too. I don't expect things to improve next year (2009) much at all. Folks are still looking for a few specific employees with some sort of skillset or degree but general labor and jobs with on the job training are about gone. Especially jobs of that nature with enough hours to get health benefits or to make enough money to survive on.

The majority of industry in Hawaii is tourism related. On Oahu there used to be a heavy agricultural industry, but that has all been covered by housing areas now. Oahu is also running out of water because it is overbuilt and the water table level is decreasing.

There are no natural resources in Hawaii such as metal ores and not enough lumber to consistently fuel any wood related industry so material for industry has to be shipped in. We do have enough trees for cottage type wood based industries, fine furniture makers and such of that type, though. Anything produced in Hawaii has to either be consumed locally or shipped 2,500 miles away and compete with similar produce from third world countries. Tourism as an industry works but only if folks have enough money to offset the expense of getting here. Between the increased costs of oil (the price is down now, but it isn't likely to stay there) and the depressed worldwide economy, folks just aren't going on expensive vacations like they used to.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,466 times
Is there currently a federal hiring freeze particularly at Pearl Harbor and Schofield Barracks in Hawaii?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii