U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 03:51 AM

11 posts, read 55,475 times

Advertisements

I hear their pretty bad in Honolulu, like, to the point where people don't even get prosecuted over it sometimes.

Thing is I want to move to Hilo which seems a little more rural. Perhaps rural areas have less of a drug problem? idk

Old 09-08-2008, 02:15 PM

5,973 posts, read 9,753,300 times
Ha! Nope. They are everywhere and very pervasive. A lot of the current meth problem is because of green harvest.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:41 PM

2,438 posts, read 5,104,077 times
Actually, I've heard that the drugs there are quite good. Perhaps that's why so many people do them. Not that I'd know.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:09 PM

1,048 posts, read 3,206,188 times
I have not looked for recent data to back this up, but my perception -- having lived in very urban and very rural places -- is that "the drug problem" is about equally pervasive on a per capita basis. What makes it seem less so in rural areas is the lower population density.

I have read statistics that actually say drug abuse in rural areas is "worse" due to boredom, lower levels of education, etc. But these statistics tend to be drawn from law enforcement records, which means someone already has been arrested. And they usually include alcohol infringements, which you may or may not have intended to have included in your question. The misuse of prescription drugs is also common in both cities and rural areas, as Oxycontin and the growing problem of teens using their parents' prescriptions show.

Whether drug use/abuse is more common in Hawaii than Florida is debatable. It's not really a city v. country thing here, since we have lots of drug use, but only one city. They seem to flourish everywhere. I just returned to Maui from a mid-sized "conservative" mainland city, and they were prevalent there as well.

I would venture to guess that there's more meth and marijuana use here, and less cocaine, heroin, and similar substances that can't be grown or manufactured on-island. The fact that opioids and cocaine have to be brought through airports or smuggled on-board boats significantly complicates the importation and traffickers are much more likely to be incarcerated than "users." There seems to be a lot of drug prosecution, if you read our local papers. There are, however, few cells and treatment programs, and consequently a lot of non-violent offenders get paroled again and again.

Last edited by whynot?; 09-08-2008 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 09-08-2008, 05:50 PM

1,375 posts, read 4,345,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeusophobia View Post
Thing is I want to move to Hilo which seems a little more rural. Perhaps rural areas have less of a drug problem? idk
I've written about this in another post somewhere, but the short version, from my perspective, is...

If you get out much, if you have friends of varied backgrounds, if you are out and about at night in town (Pahoa and/or Hilo) you will bump into someone who uses/will have marijuana, even if you never notice. As a matter of fact, if you are downtown, you can't miss the sign for the THC ministry (The website: Aloha and welcome - e komo mai I'm not promoting, just informing...honestly, this guy drives me a bit crazy! I met him at a conference at UH Hilo and he completely dominated a conversation that was supposed to be about something entirely different than legalizing....)

That is just part of life here in East Hawaii.

The other drugs, pretty easy to avoid--not by any means a part of my every day experience. I think it has a lot to do with who your friends are and where you choose to spend your time.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:41 PM

11 posts, read 34,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Actually, I've heard that the drugs there are quite good. Perhaps that's why so many people do them. Not that I'd know.

lol

Old 09-26-2009, 02:00 AM

3,755 posts, read 5,874,308 times
Marijuana growing is estimated by the DEA to be a BILLION $ business on the Big Island, alone. It is shipped worldwide from here. It's money influences things in strange ways.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:39 PM

5,973 posts, read 9,753,300 times
Hmm, the County council is trying to balance the budget. Legalize pot growing and tax the heck out of it. There would be a huge revenue surplus. Then the County could afford to put in huge public drug use rehabilitation centers. (Somehow I doubt I'll ever be elected as a public official!)

Old 09-28-2009, 05:28 PM

17 posts, read 69,933 times
I can't speak for Honolulu but basically the entire young surfer crowd smokes pot like it's just a part of their culture. Whether you consider marijuana a problem is your bussiness. Many young people smoke it out in the open like it's legal.

Now if you mean meth, cocaine, heroine, acid, ecstacy, etc. they are here just like anywhere else but rarely in the open. People are much more discrete with anything other than pot. Cocaine and ecstacy are quite popular with some of the more roudy party scenes. Hawaii has a big Crystal Meth problem but it was worse while I was growing up.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:09 PM

19 posts, read 88,733 times
It's not an issue to the point where it would interfere with your life in anyway. Like Nicolai said, people are pretty discrete (even with pot IMO)...I live in Honolulu and I really don't feel its an issue at all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii