Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Honest advice about Hawaii, warm weather year round, general noise level, frog noise, mold issues, medical care, hospitals with poor sanitation, drive by shootings, car thefts

View Poll Results: Where would you move as a single mom with 3 kids & on a budget ?
Big Island 13 26.53%
Maui 2 4.08%
Kauai 1 2.04%
Oahu 4 8.16%
Molokai 0 0%
Lanai 0 0%
Stay on the mainland - if so where do you suggest ? 30 61.22%
Move overseas - Oceania - if so any suggestions ? 1 2.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 09:11 PM

62 posts, read 427,830 times

Advertisements

lost_traveler1 you are awesome - really - thank you for your informative and kind words - YOU are the type of person I would like to know in Hawaii, not like some I have found being nasty on this board. You really gave me some very valuable advice and I found your words to be the most helpful of all, mahalo - shaka bra !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 01:15 AM

246 posts, read 649,831 times
Dude, I'm a dude.

Yes its fricken expensive but sometimes people need to make a change.
If she does her research and plan her financials realistically, she can make the move and not be surprised, sound pretty illogical to do this but why do you think 900,000 of us still live here?

If she doesn't research and plan, well then, natural selection takes care of things. But she is here trying, and thats what this website and forum is about, getting info to help research and plan, not to wig out saying don't move here 'cause you gunna make it more expensive.

Last edited by 7th generation; 09-15-2008 at 03:17 PM.. Reason: Good posts but please keep it PG. I deleted the Quote in your post because it was orphaned.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:29 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
In all honesty, with three kids, no local connections, no job, I mean I don't know how old all your kids are, but hiring someone to watch them while you're at work would be quite a financial burden, no place lined up, and the economy being in the dumps as it is, you may just want to consider staying put. Regardless of what the Travel Channel might advertise, Hawaii can be a really tough go, especially for someone in your position. Maybe somewhere in the Midwest, small town, never been there, but maybe it's worth a look. Best of luck

Aloha

Old 09-15-2008, 02:16 AM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikekai View Post
Now what I have found is that the 1+ acre lots are on the east coast of the Big Island, in Puna and Kau I recall. Most of the lots look like they are covered in lava. That doesn't sound too appealing to me. I don't want a yard full of black lava, I want 'rainforest' palm trees, fruit trees, etc.. Not sure how rainy it is there ? Does it rain daily ? Is it mostly cloudy or sunny ? I would probably have to put up a modular home (maybe something like those multi-facetted homes I saw)...

When I think 'tropical' I want white sandy beaches, palm trees, sunny weather etc. I didn't see ANY palm trees on these real estate sites (lots) looked like your ordinary shrubs/trees (not tropical).

Hi k,

I think that the crux of your post is found in the part I've quoted above...

Simply put...if these are the options that you feel might be open to you and you move to the Puna district of the Big Island, depending on your resources, you may be able to purchase a home. Homes in some of the subdivsions are selling under 200K.

But you need to know that you will be living at least 25 minutes from most sources of employment and that you will be at least 2 hours from the nearest "white sand" resort beaches (as seen on TV--there are a few local spots in East Hawaii, but generally it's rocky coast). You will also be living in an area experiencing some natural growing pains as a rapidly growing population looks to make a way to adapt to what can sometimes feel like a "wild frontier".

It's not always rosy--as you will find as you search these forums. But if you do your research and decide to come anyway, you will be joining many people who have made the same decision. If you can accept that it won't be a postcard paradise, and if you can secure employment, you may just find a new life for yourself.

I've seen it work for many people. Sometimes it doesn't work out. There is no way any of us can judge for you if you will find happiness here....but I can recommend that you do consider coming to visit for a few weeks at least before you make any major decisions.

Good luck with your quest...

With aloha,

Cynthia

Old 09-15-2008, 07:23 AM

156 posts, read 805,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
Homes in some of the subdivsions are selling under 200K.
Let's see. For 200K shack at todays morgage rates you will pay around $1200 a month.
+ home owners insurance
+ property tax
+ utilities (gas, water, electric, phone)
+ gas for car
+ insurance for car
+ food
If you very conservative you may fit into $2500
To afford that working 40 hours a week you need job paying at least $20 per hour on check.

Last edited by MadRussian; 09-15-2008 at 08:37 AM..

Old 09-15-2008, 08:40 AM

62 posts, read 427,830 times
The financial part is not my main concern - although according to welder it will be very hard - but I have $ to live on every month...The $ thing was not my main concern - it was the drug problem and how prevalent it is, as well as my kids fitting in by the locals (or would they be rejected being the minority) my kids are very adaptable and amazing friendly kids - but I also know I don't want to put them in a situation where local kids pick on them or give them a hard time (just because they can) - its not right. Why can't these local kids be taught by their parents that its not right to tease based on skin color - its very prejudiced. When that is done to a black child (in a white area here in the mainland; or vice versa) then people would see how racist it is....yet in hawaii, its almost to be 'expected' and I don't think its right.... Kids should be excepting of others, period.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:52 PM

90 posts, read 468,615 times
Newcomer here.

I wanted to answer a bit of your question about climate in the Puna district. This is what I hear from friends (don't live there currently): Mostly cloudy but beautiful (apparently you have to like mostly-cloudy-but-warm weather -- don't have to look for shade!), rains most nights, Lava zones mostly 1 and also nearby some 2 and 3, those I know in Lava zone 1 have created an absolute fantasy of palm trees and tropicals due to the great temperatures and regular rainfall, and no irrigation needed. They also grow lots of fruit trees and have much food to share. Their real estate was "cheap" compared to many parts of the U.S., and if there were no palm trees when they bought, they quickly filled their lot leaving clearance around the house. (Coconut palms are not indigenous to the Hawaiian islands, and those areas you see without palm trees are not because they won't grow there, but just because no seeds have yet naturally fallen there. What you see is indigenous plants. Check the Hilo area for the Alexander Palm / Archontophoenix alexandrae -- it's spreading easily and will eventually reach Puna. The only true indigineous palm to the Hawaiian Islands is the Pritchardia genus.)

Also prices have fallen in this area. But you have to be content with the "Lava Zone" definitions. Those in the area that I know of have peace about it and think the value is worth it. You can dial in your desired clouds/rainfall with a rainfall map. And if you have over around 50" of rain a year, you can grow lots of food and palms "for free."

Do you work "from home/online" and can live anywhere? Otherwise you'd have a commute into Hilo or somewhere. Other parts of the Island are more expensive.

I cannot answer about the kids. I have a child too, and we all want it easy for our kids. But sometimes coaching them that the world is not perfect anywhere, and that we get what we give, is a great lesson. It took me forever in life to learn that what I focus on is what shows up for me. I would be open with them about the potential challenge and let them know to have a humble ,open, giving and bright spirit. I would work to supplement the education creatively, and to have lots of combined family time on the weekends if the week is filled with work. I'm sure you know what you are doing though!

Can't wait to hear what you decide. Good luck.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:03 PM

14 posts, read 102,950 times
Default Concern about racism for the kids

I don't care if you do a verbal attack on me. It's not my intent to condescend you. Your life is yours. Not mine. You live it and you reap what you sow.

However, if you expect so much problems including the sensitive problem and grave sin of racism in Hawaii, why, in the world, do you want to move to Hawaii? Why not do some research and try to find a new place in the U.S. mainland or someplace else that will fit your good expectations as realistically as possible?

If you want someplace remote with no racism towards your kids, how about Alaska? Clearly, in Alaska, your kids will NOT be minority so there's zero chance they'll be picked on due to their skin color. I am not saying you should consider Alaska, but if you think Hawaii is full of problems that worry you, why not look else where? Isn't that a common sense?

If I were a native Hawaiian, I may even be insulted at the litany of complaints you are listing about Hawaii. Who, in the world, can say for certain that racism is almost to be "expected" (as you put) in Hawaii??????? Who, in the world, can say for sure that parents in Hawaii don't teach their kids not to tease kids of other races????? (Kids get teased, from time to time, due to their ethnicity everywhere including U.S. mainland. Maybe, parents in U.S. mainland are not teaching their kids to not teased kids of other race????) Isn't that very condescending and judgmental of Hawaii, whereas you yourself apparently don't like to be condescended based on what you said on the board?

Racism exists toward the minorities in all places on earth including US mainland. It's just not toward Blacks. It's not limited to kids' world. It exists in adults' world. Personally, as an Asian-American, I've been insulted, mistreated and slighted by White people in U.S. mainland, and whining about racism toward Asians usually gets you NO WHERE here in U.S. mainland. Whining and complaining that it's NOT RIGHT (as you imply) will simply earn more ridicules because different races look at the world through different lenses. (Majority usually thinks the minority is super whining and blowing things out of proportion.) You just have to deal with it and make the best of it, otherwise should be looking to someplace else other than Hawaii if you think it will break your heart to see your kids having rough time being changed from majority to minority. It may or may not happen to your kids, and even if it happens, it's not just your kids who would have experienced some form or racism. It's unfortunate but other kids and even adults in minority status experience racism in U.S mainland. Of course that doesn't justify racism toward your kids if that were to happen, but it is what is is. It would be out of your control unless you can change the entire Hawaii.

I'm sure you'll make a decision that you will have faith in. I wish you luck wherever you decide to move to.

Quote:
The $ thing was not my main concern - it was the drug problem and how prevalent it is, as well as my kids fitting in by the locals (or would they be rejected being the minority) my kids are very adaptable and amazing friendly kids - but I also know I don't want to put them in a situation where local kids pick on them or give them a hard time (just because they can) - its not right. Why can't these local kids be taught by their parents that its not right to tease based on skin color - its very prejudiced. When that is done to a black child (in a white area here in the mainland; or vice versa) then people would see how racist it is....yet in Hawaii, its almost to be 'expected' and I don't think its right.... Kids should be excepting of others, period.

Last edited by chbunn; 09-15-2008 at 05:21 PM..

Old 09-15-2008, 05:11 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Quote:
Kids should be excepting of others, period.
they are - unfortunately, you want your kids accepted.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:46 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,171 times

I am new to this forum. I gotta give it to you all - your great in talking - informing new people of the area and are incredible for taking the time to answer strangers questions. I wanted to say thank you Calico Salsa for what I "thought" was a thoughtful answer to K's question. It helped my thought process if not hers in bringing up mental reasons for wanting to move to an area along with the physical.

I do have to wonder in the response given how much area culture influnces reactions to answers. I know many of my friends from the east coast are - how to I say without meaning to be insulting - rather aggressive and loud as a stero type - oppossed to the laid back slower paced culture of my mountain home. Neither is wrong - just differnt and can be misunderstoon easily with both styles. Just a thought.

I too have been thinking of possible moving - HI being in the thought process. I actually will be in Puna area for a 20 days in November to check things out and vacation. I have found many of the regulars on this site to be very helpful and entertaining. I truly hope I get the opportunity to meet people like you when I arrive.

Just wanted to say Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii