Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 12:20 AM

7 posts, read 20,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96792grown View Post
Why do people on our own island, our own people, Our own state look down on waianae? Why do you people think so bad about us? You tell other people don't be rascist, keep your nose clean, don't do this don't do that. But then yet you all judge the people who live there. We have the best beaches. We have the sunset. We have aloha. We keep the hawaiian spirit alive in waianae. We keep it country. We don't care about the race or what color your skin is. We care about your respect. We have a bunch of white colored people living in maili. I lived in waianae my whole life and I love it. I love the passion, I love the people, and I love my pride. So please before you begin to judge us and stereotype us and tell other people that we are animals or rascist. Think about the people that live there. Think about us. If you stereotype us are you showing aloha to other people? Think about it.

I absolutely love your passion! I have been warned not to move over to Waianae because I am a mainlander and white to boot...but this is the exact reason I want to move in there. Not to disrespect it, but because I want to be able to be apart of that while I'm on Oahu. I don't want to be in the touristy part or the military part...I want to see the true Oahu and I want to be apart of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GueritaBrown View Post
My Husband is from Waianae born & raised! When we first were going to get married I had family members (from Ewa) tell me not to marry him just cause where he's from. Honestly he is the best thing that ever happened to me! He's the best: he works & takes care of our family. Enjoys simple things in life... I am glad I didn't let people's negative thoughts put any seeds of doubt in my head.

I never felt so much aloha anywhere else. (Im from CA 1/2 Mexican & 1/2 White) Everytime we go, I see how much everyone takes care of eachother and looks out for one another. You rarely see that where I'm from. Even the parties trip me out! This summer we went to a party up Waianae Valley and there were no problems! No stabbings, shootings, fights, police, nothing... you have a party like that in the central valley of CA most likely one of those things will happen. It's sad to see all the negetivity because no matter where you are there is good and bad. It is just how you choose to see it and what you choose to focus on. 96792 good job representing!
LOL You aren't even exagerating about the parties in Cali...they get ridiculous...I won't move back there if I can avoid it..which I will try to do at all cost! I love my family and my friends still back home and it will always be home but....again I wouldn't move back there.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
I lived in Kailua for a year and I totally agree. There is very little aloha in Kailua and I will never live there again. I live in makiki now and I love it. All the local people are the nicest people i have ever met. Kailua reminds of all the arrogant people in california, and thats why I hate it.

I would just like to point out...not all of us Californians are arrogant!

Old 12-18-2008, 12:34 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
if it makes any differerence i always looked up to the native people and watched them afar with admiration when they shopped, fished, surfed.
they avoided the mainland people, as they often are not well behaved i dont blame them for avoiding us. we re rich but often not very nice. the people in mexico have an expression,
the mule was not difficult and unruly, people made him that way.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:22 PM

12 posts, read 87,570 times
Hi Rebeccalee 86!
I agree not all Californians are arrogant!
And the parties for the most part are crazy! I know where I am from they don't even report (on the news) all the stabbings, shootings, murders, and rapes. It's nuts that Waianae has such a bad rap when it's nearly not half as bad as the valley.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:09 PM

90 posts, read 361,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GueritaBrown View Post
Hi Rebeccalee 86!
I agree not all Californians are arrogant!
And the parties for the most part are crazy! I know where I am from they don't even report (on the news) all the stabbings, shootings, murders, and rapes. It's nuts that Waianae has such a bad rap when it's nearly not half as bad as the valley.
That's the thing. Local news will report whatever's most shocking that's going on in the area. Rapes and murders and police chases are still a bit surprising in Hawaii, so wherever one happens, it may give that area of the island a reputation. Here in L.A., it's a blip on the radar. We may not see it all the time in person in our own neighborhoods, but we see it so much on the news that we're de-sensitized to it.

The worst of Hawaii probably beats average L.A. in terms of crime.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:38 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murlough23 View Post
The tricky part is whether the route to the beach (the locked gate, for example) is part of their property, whether it is between properties, etc. It probably differs for each situation.
An interesting coincidence is that the Obamas are staying on the street (Kailuana lane) in Kailua this week where the fence was put up (on a PRIVATE access lane) that caused all the ruckus.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Beach Access Hawaii

And here is a list of places in Kailua and Waimanalo where there ARE public beach access lanes:

Mokulua Drive A, Ehukai Street, Mokulua Drive B, Hihimanu Street, Mokulua Drive C, Hinalea Street, North Kalaheo Avenue at Kawainui Canal, Kaula Street, North Kalaheo Avenue at Ainoni Street, Hilu Street, North Kalaheo Avenue at Dune Circle, Manana Street, North Kalaheo Avenue at Pueohala Place, Alaihi Street, South Kalaheo at Kuuniu Street, Puuone Street, Milokai Place and Wailea Street

I live in Kailua, and I think it's a great place.

Hank

Old 12-25-2008, 09:22 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murlough23 View Post
everybody on that street locked gates despite those gates not being on private property, that essentially blocks outsiders off from using that stretch of the beach.
I really don't understand why this discussion goes on and on. To my knowledge, there are NO gates installed in ANY public access lanes in Kailua. Or anywhere else on Oahu. So how could anyone lock one?

Yes there is/are a gate(s) on private lanes to the beach. Some are owned by groups of homeowners who live on that particular street. They have a right to lock them. Some do, some don't.

Here is photo of a typical beach access lane:

Could we move on? With a little more Mele in our Kalikimaka?

Hank

Old 12-25-2008, 11:56 AM

5,638 posts, read 6,515,537 times
+1,000 HankD!

Old 12-25-2008, 01:24 PM

2,724 posts, read 6,424,940 times
Moderator note:
Personal attacks violate the Terms of Service that all members agreed to when registering for this site and will not be tolerated.
Thanks,
7th
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii