Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:06 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,255 times

Advertisements

i looked but did not buy the "fresh" fish from o'ahu's wholefoods store. don't recall the price either and don't know what the big hype with that super market is all about?!

try buying the best grade of sashimi (tuna) during the new year's holiday. this year it was nearly $30/lb.

my point about the papaya was how CHEAP it was. would have bought some but we have plenty from our own trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 04:24 PM

134 posts, read 516,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kani-lehua View Post
the latest news on the cost of living for o'ahu: the city will now need to upgrade their two wastewater plants at a tune of over $1 billion dollars (according to our mayor). you know who will pay for it.
I know! And they've had how many years to do this?? But no, have to wait until the very last minute so residents get to foot the bill. Awesome.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:05 PM

850 posts, read 4,364,255 times
agreed!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:16 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
i dont get the hype about how expensive HI is. Seriously, compared to Iowa, yeah, Hi is expensive, big time. But compared to Chicago, its pretty much the same, and compared to Manhattan, HI is way cheaper!!

Well, obviously you don't live here! Not here to argue with anyone but I do live in Hawaii, for 5 years now. The other posters are right on; not only is it more expensive (try .45 a KW for electricity for starters) most wages are far lower than other metropolitan or even rural areas. AND we have GE tax on practically everthing in addition to a state income tax. You pay tax on doctor visits? We do. Rent? Yep, we do on that too.

Why do you think several generations of families live together? It's not only a cultural issue as with some, but an issue of absolute necessity. If you make $15.00 an hour after taxes etc. you cannot afford much more than a $500/mo room in the back of someone else's house let alone a modest studio or 1 BR apartment (actually condo because there are few true apartment properties in many areas). You might as well still live at "home" with the extended family where at least you know everyone else and have full run of the joint!

I work for a company that does all kinds of RE and property managememt. So here is an example for you. A 1 room "studio" with no full kitchen, about 400 sq. ft. probably. VERY small 3/4 bath with tiny shower. Decent sized fridge, small amount of counter space and a bathroom vanity type sink. No upper cabinets. Shared washer & dryer with 2 other "studio" tenants. Rent is $675/mo PLUS tax and $75/mo flat rate electric. Oh, and that's unfurnished by the way.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:00 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
But which island is that on?

I think what many posters don't take into account when comparing the cost of living in Hawaii verses the other states in the Union is the lower wages here. Folks have some sort of job on the mainland making $70K a year and then they move here and even if there is a similar job here (many types of jobs don't even exist here) the pay will be $55K a year for the same job that would pay $70K on the mainland. Part of it is because the employers can and part of it is because folks are willing to work for less just so they can live here. However, after awhile, the lack of ability to save any money, buy a house or improve their work conditions forces them to reconsider the whole enchilada and they go back to the land of opportunity which is frequently where they came from in the first place.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:42 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
Oh sorry, you're asking me? I live on the Big Island. Yes, it does matter which island. As I understand it, Oahu, Maui and Kauai are even more expensive than BI. I have friends on all 3 but have never lived there, only visiting occasionally.

Your example of careers/wages/availability is exactly right. I had to completely change careers when we moved here because what I did sucessfully in another state, just wouldn't have worked here. Not enough people from which to draw a clientele.

We were very fortunate compared to some. My husband's company paid a lot of our moving expenses, he came here to a good and stable job w/ benefits, and I was able to segue for awhile into a related industry then did a complete career change.........nothing like starting from ground zero at age 50! Ah well, it keeps me off the streets and out of trouble.

Hawaii is a very spiritual place. Some may think it's just another spot on the map, but not to me and not to many, many folks here that I know and love. It's hard to put into words.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:59 AM

47 posts, read 147,805 times
how ask how?
being from the main land...
easy as it is...go with family (whom are old enough to work) or close friends...that is how! or rent a room with a cool family; whether hard to find or easy something is possible!

Old 01-13-2009, 10:43 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
i dont get the hype about how expensive HI is. Seriously, compared to Iowa, yeah, Hi is expensive, big time. But compared to Chicago, its pretty much the same, and compared to Manhattan, HI is way cheaper!!
I think you are speaking as a tourist.

I lived and worked in Manhattan...and the pay is significantly higher. Hawaii is like minimum wage jobs while paying manhattan prices...that's the problem.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:26 PM

134 posts, read 516,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think you are speaking as a tourist.

I lived and worked in Manhattan...and the pay is significantly higher. Hawaii is like minimum wage jobs while paying manhattan prices...that's the problem.
Bingo! That's what so many people don't get. Living here is just NOT the same thing as coming here for a few days or weeks. You're going to expect to pay outrageous prices for things on vacation. But when you live somewhere and still have to shell out that much...yeah.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 8,059 times
Hawaii is worth the money = ) I grew up in Hawaii but I got married and I moved to the Eastcoast. The beaches on the eastcoast are nothing like the crystal blue beaches I grew up on. Oahu is very easy to get around. There are only 3 major Hwys -H1 H2 H3(unless they built anymore since I last was there). If you can get yourself on one of those highways then you will never get lost. lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii