Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2008, 03:42 AM

4 posts, read 10,239 times

Advertisements

so, been working on a chiropractor degree for 3 years now and im really bored with it. i've descided that i'm going to move out to hawaii for a while, just because i've always dreamed of living on an island, and i figured why not do it now. i've saved up $2,000 and i bought a plane ticket so ill arive on january 21, just not too sure on where im really going yet haha. i figure that i have enough for the first months rent up front so i have time to find a job. my question is, where is the most likely place in hawaii will i be able to find a job? currently planning on just pitching a tent somewhere until i can find a place to stay, but hopefully you guys can point me in the right direciton on where to go. i am hoping to find a place to stay with a somewhat scenic view and i dont really want to live in a city if possible.

hope to hear back soon. if not ill be camping out somewhere, ha.
peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 07:21 AM

100 posts, read 334,212 times
Well I can't give you too many answers yet, since I won't get there till January as well, but I can say that $2000 isn't going to get you very far if you don't have another source of income. Keep in mind that you will probably have to pay at least 1st months rent and the same amount for a deposit, plus if utilities aren't included you will have to turn those on, which often cost money up front as well. And of course, food, transportation and personal items. What I'm getting at is, you most definitely WILL have to find a job right away, and the current economy has the job market in Hawaii running very very slow. I'm not saying you won't make it, just wanting to make sure you are being realistic about the journey. Good luck!
Nelli

Old 12-22-2008, 12:33 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,865,015 times
What island are you landing on? And I hope you like camping, since jobs are few and far between. The jobs just all dried up earlier this year and there are lots of other folks camping now, too. You might try WWOOF - Willing Workers On Organic Farms. If you google WWOOF Hawaii their webpage will come up. They don't pay you in cash, but generally you get some sort of living space - sometimes just a place to pitch a tent - and usually at least one meal a day although that meal can consist of raw vegetables. In return for a place to stay and some food you get to work for a couple hours a day. It is different for each WWOOF site, you'd have to look at them all. There may not be many of those spots left, either, as folks are losing their jobs, then losing their houses/rentals they are taking those spots because there is nothing else left. We just hired a couple yesterday to do a day's worth of yard work since they had no money left and that's all the work we could afford to hire them for. Afterwards we sent them on to a local WWOOF spot so they will hopefully have a place to stay other than their truck (at least they still had that) as well as some sort of food each day. We don't have room to keep extra folks nor enough money to hire folks real often but the little we were able to do helped them hopefully get out of the hole they were in. They were also folks who were friends of an acquaintance and we wouldn't have hired someone we didn't know at all such as someone from the mainland.

Hawaii is a bit further along the path to The Greater Depression because our major source of income (for the whole island chain) is tourism and that is one of the first things to dry up when the economy tightens up. The folks working in the frozen pizza factory on the mainland will have jobs a lot longer than the folks changing sheets in fancy hotels in Hawaii when the economy goes sour. The folks that are still going on vacation are choosing the less expensive vacations closer to home and staying on the mainland, too. The outer islands feel it first and get deeper cuts in tourism since the majority of airplane flights go in and out of Honolulu and when tourists start to economize they stop going to the other islands and save money by just staying on one, which since their plane landed on it is usually Oahu (Honolulu). Earlier this year two airlines went bankrupt in Hawaii so we lost a huge amount of passenger seats since almost all tourists come on airplanes. That didn't help the situation, either.

So, make sure you get a round trip airline ticket, you may need it and round trip isn't much more expensive than one way and sometimes they are cheaper.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:34 PM

100 posts, read 334,212 times
I tell ya, I am so glad we are bringing an income with us! If not I would have to seriously reconsider our move! When all the jobs dry up it is a scary scary situation for everyone.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:23 PM

421 posts, read 2,528,385 times
Believe it or not you're in a good profession. The medical profession is actually one of the better professions to be in when it comes to moving to any area of the country. I'm also in the medical profession (dentist) and I know for a fact I'll get a job out there without even having one lined up. It's other professions that need to worry. But trust me, you'll land a job in the medical field whereever you go. And people in hawaii welcome professionals like yourself because, well, let's face it, you bring a valuable resource to the island. Listen you aren't just some poly sci major who's ready to graduate and deciding to move to hawaii, you actually have a career that's needed. I do agree with others that you may need alittle more money in order to establish yourself, maybe wait a few extra months and save up. Good luck with the move.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:31 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,865,015 times
Actually, he said he doesn't have his chiropractor degree yet, he says he's been working on it and is bored now. He's going to be a well educated camper unless some chiropractor somewhere wants to hire him as a basic assistant but not an associate.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:30 PM

68 posts, read 244,224 times
Aloha! Good luck on youre planned move to Hawaii. I know you said you didnt want to be in the city but I would think your best chance of finding a job would be in Honolulu. Also they have the best public transportation since you probably wont have a car for awhile. Public transportation isnt that great on the other islands. You might want to spend a few $$$ and buy a bike to help you get around. They have bike racks on the fronts of the Honolulu buses so you can ride to the nearest bus stop and go from there. Dont know how the rents are in Honolulu now but a friend had a studio apartment there a few years ago for $700 a month. My wife and I are thinking about moving to Hawaii part time in a couple years. We have family here in Michigan so dont want to leave totally. Shes a filipina RN and I work for the state here. We will both have pensions but are planning to work part time both for the money and to help meet people. Hey if anyone has any advice Id appreciate it! Mahalo. Malama pono!

Old 09-01-2009, 12:55 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,455,356 times
kawika52: Please note the dates (and year) of the posts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: