Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 3,543 times

Advertisements

How do you get to the trail head on the Waianae side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 06:01 PM

Old 09-09-2011, 05:28 PM

941 posts, read 1,965,841 times
Alohikea: Thanks for the mention about "Kaleo," I was able to find his blog about some really cool hikes on Oahu: Island Trails But those are not regular hikes. He does some extreme off-trail ridge exploration with safety ropes and almost technical rock climbing.

I've been reading up on Mt Ka'ala because I want to do it someday, and ChrisJblog gives you the scoop that I've heard. It's not a regular hike either, but at least people left the ropes for others to use. Be careful out there.

Old 09-09-2011, 05:33 PM

74 posts, read 333,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheocean808 View Post
Drive to the very end of Wa'anae Valley Rd. Park before the locked gate (I believe it's controlled by the Board of Water Supply.) Follow the steep paved road up about 45 min or so, past a couple of water tanks. The trail is marked by a number of spray-painted bottle caps nailed to trees. It drops down a gully and then up to meet Kamaileunu Ridge.

The ridge is extremely steep and is uphill almost 100% of the way. It eventually meets the Ka'ala boardwalk that takes you through the Natural Area Reserve bog full of native Hawaiian plants. At the end of the boardwalk is the gate stopping you from entering the FAA/Air National Guard facility. Don't trespass into that area.

This is a terrific hike but only for those who are in shape enough to handle the near-continuous ascent. There is an alternate route, the Dupont trail behind Waialua High School, but if memory serves me correctly, is longer than the Kaimaileunu ridge route.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:30 AM

atp162: Mahalo for the directions. I'm really looking forward to doing this hike.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:21 AM

64 posts, read 148,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murlough23 View Post

Not getting lost is a good goal, I think. Normally I pride myself on my sense of direction, but I somehow managed to get myself lost on the Aiea Loop Trail a few years ago, so I make sure to map out where I'm going ahead of time.
LMAO! I got lost up there too once back in high school. Ended up spending the night cuz it got dark quick and had no flashlights...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii