Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 10:45 PM

227 posts, read 917,846 times

Advertisements

Talking to a friend that has a restaurant in Hanalei told me that 2 places are closing up in Kapaa, Coconuts and Lotus Blossom. I think these places need to start changing their way of business by charging excessively for mediocre product catering to the helpless tourist. No locals visit these places at all and there is no wonder they are going out of biz, besides Kapaa is not the best location for tourists and is dominated by the locals. I visit places and if they dont have a Kama'ina (SP?) then we will not return again, It would be nice if places start catering to the people that live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 01:15 AM

649 posts, read 3,443,615 times
I have heard that Lotus Blossom is good, I've never been there (yet - and it looks like I won't ever) myself, but I also read somewhere that they don't give very much food. Now I think most restaurants give WAY too big portions but then again, maybe that's one of their problems.

I have also heard bad things about Coconuts but we ate there once and thought it was very good. Guess we either got lucky or are not very discerning. It was very expensive, though, and is not the kind of place most locals can afford to go, except on very special occasions. And there are many other places that are just as good (or better) and not as expensive. And most tourists don't spend very much time on the east side.

Anyway, I'm not surprised that some places are closing. Times are tough all over, and especially here.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:51 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
We could make a list of all the places which are closing over here, but it would take too long. We make a point of patronizing the places we like the best so they will stay in business but I don't know if our small effort will make much of a difference.

The ones that aren't closing are the ones which have primarily a local crowd. Our local (and only) diner is about 85% local business and they are encouraging small groups to have meetings there now to get more business. We may start a knitting circle just so we have another excuse to go out to lunch.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:33 PM

115 posts, read 471,325 times
You should post the names of the local ones that you like and maybe get list going. That way it may help to drive more business to them.

Someone start off with the best local breakfast on the east side of BI

Just a thought

Old 01-05-2009, 04:13 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,457,849 times
FYI its Blossoming Lotus, not Lotus Blossom...

Coconuts was not a very good restaurant to begin with, so its not really a huge surprise that they are going out.

Blossoming Lotus on the other hand had a pretty big niche market as it serves only vegan fare. I know quite a few health nuts that would go there, as the food was pretty good. I only went once, and thought it was expensive but served its purpose as a healthy/vegetarian option well. Lots of locals would not think of going there, but many residents and visitors would visit.

There are lots of rumors about Roy's going out of business, but I don't think that will happen. Every restaurant is being hit hard, even those that are frequented by locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii