Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 05:43 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I am really ambivalent about the term popolo; I do not see it as a racial slur per se, just a descriptive term. Problem is, the term originated as a reference to very dark-skinned people, i.e. dark like the blackberry, but when other people of African descent showed up who were lighter and looked "local," it wasn't such an easy distinction.
Many would also say that "haole" is also just a descriptive term. The term "pa'ele," which means "possessing the quality of darkness" is somewhat more polite than "popolo" and also used to describe African Americans. Hawaiians have their own "N" word (with similar connotations to the English "N" word) to describe African Americans; however, I'm not going to mention it here.

In the past, there have been several instances of discrimination against African Americans in Hawai'i. The book, Institutional Racism: The Case of Hawai'i by Michael Haas, discusses this in detail. In addition, Chapters 3 and 4 of Barack Obama's book, Dreams From My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance contain several anecdotes that reveal how it is to be young and African American in Hawai'i. However, the most comprehensive study on African Americans in Hawai'i so far is an anthology entitled, They Followed the Trade Winds: African Americans in Hawai'i.

I can't comment on what the dating scene is like for an African American woman; however, there are probably some opportunities for dating, depending upon one's preferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 07:24 PM

93,224 posts, read 123,819,554 times
I guess if you want to find a Black male, it would probably be on a campus like Uof H, Hawaii Pacific, Chaminade or a military guy. They have a few bases out there and Schofield Barracks, I think, is the biggest one there.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:13 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,639,083 times
[quote=Jonah K;7090632]
Quote:
Many would also say that "haole" is also just a descriptive term. The term "pa'ele," which means "possessing the quality of darkness" is somewhat more polite than "popolo" and also used to describe African Americans. Hawaiians have their own "N" word (with similar connotations to the English "N" word) to describe African Americans; however, I'm not going to mention it here.
Yeah, I have heard that too.......it's pretty much pan-Pacific.

Quote:
In the past, there have been several instances of discrimination against African Americans in Hawai'i. The book, Institutional Racism: The Case of Hawai'i by Michael Haas, discusses this in detail. In addition, Chapters 3 and 4 of Barack Obama's book, Dreams From My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance contain several anecdotes that reveal how it is to be young and African American in Hawai'i. However, the most comprehensive study on African Americans in Hawai'i so far is an anthology entitled, They Followed the Trade Winds: African Americans in Hawai'i.
Familiar with these too.

Quote:
I can't comment on what the dating scene is like for an African American woman; however, there are probably some opportunities for dating, depending upon one's preferences.
I didn't date when I was there.......but I sure could have if I had such inclinations.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:44 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,257,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Familiar with these too.
I'm glad that you're so well-read.

Further mulling over the OP's questions, I've been thinking about the experiences of Kathryn Wadell Takara, Daphne Barbee-Wooten, Judge Sandra Simms, Helene Hale, and several other prominent African American women in Hawai'i. The one thing that all of them had in common was that none of them did any undergraduate work in Hawai'i.

Here's another link that might prove somewhat informative to folks that are interested in learning more about African Americans in Hawai'i....
A major minority | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper

Old 01-21-2009, 12:47 PM

200 posts, read 1,021,682 times
If you were "President" Obama, you would have no trouble being black and living in Hawaii as Hawaii is eating up the fact that he was 'born' here.

If you were just a black 'Obama', you would face discrimination as a black person living here.

I find it hilarious how the papers and news are just so fake with the whole Obama thing.....if he wasn't President they could care less about some black guy who was born in Hawaii. Locals tend to be very rough on black folks, more so than the white folks. Fact!!!

Just last night at my sons basketball game...the other coach was calling my players "haole"....get the haole boy, don't let the haole get the ball....etc. How would it sound if I said, "get the local boy" or "don't let the Hawaiian boy get the ball".....no difference at all! Just some folks "tolerate" the term haole and accept it. Pretty sad in my opinion.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 11,968 times
Hi AfroPhox,

I am a female of African descent who attended college in Hawai'i. DM me and I'll tell you about my experiences and also answer any questions I can.

DanniRose

Old 01-22-2009, 02:37 PM

Are there communities in Hawai'i that have a Black communities, per se? I know that many are on the military bases, but what about off post communities?

Old 01-22-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
I'm glad that you're so well-read.

Further mulling over the OP's questions, I've been thinking about the experiences of Kathryn Wadell Takara, Daphne Barbee-Wooten, Judge Sandra Simms, Helene Hale, and several other prominent African American women in Hawai'i. The one thing that all of them had in common was that none of them did any undergraduate work in Hawai'i.

Here's another link that might prove somewhat informative to folks that are interested in learning more about African Americans in Hawai'i....
A major minority | The Honolulu Advertiser | Hawaii's Newspaper
Very interesting history that goes back much further than I thought. It is really interesting about Allen, who's master was from NY. People don't know that NY didn't outlaw slavery until 1827 and even then the people born into slavery pretty did there "time" until their master said so. So, people shouldn't put that institution just on the South.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:59 AM

1 posts, read 11,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroPhox View Post
I'm a young Black woman considering going to college in Hawaii.
I was wondering what it's like for Black women living in Hawaii.
Have you faced a lot of discrimination? What's the dating scene like for Black women?
I am a black single woman living in Oahu, HI. I will say that as a student you will probably not have many issues because you are here for school and the school environment have black people, especially at HPU because they have a big population of students from around the world... and there are black students at UH as well... not sure which of those school you are going to attend. The majority of the black population here are in the military and the single military men here are simple unstable and from Mars..lol.. and unless you are in the military or have access to the base you really don't get into the "military world"... unless you are a club person then you will run into all the "club hoppers there".... if you know what I mean... hope from women to women...

Buttttttttt, as a black single woman here, I will never encourange a single black woman to move here as I did. The pool of black men here seem to be from another planet and they are surely not looking for a black woman because too many "others" here that cry after them and blow up their head. The black men here simply have no respect for black women and I have experience it over and over and over. Don't get me wrong, I will date others but there simply is no market for black women here.

I fully agree with what Sunil's Dad said in his posting about his wife and the work environment and such here. I moved here several years ago as a fully experienced woman in my career and have recruiters after me on the mainland U.S. for jobs but I got here to find out I could not find a job for 5 months. I knew then that the "aloha" spirit surely does not exist in HI if you are here to stay... only exist when you come to visit. I had loads of interviews but I finally had to realize why I was not getting the jobs... need I say it. And the work environment here is simply not too friendly, everyone is related and it's who you know and who knows you.

So many crazy things have happened to me since I got here that I have finally decided to move back to the mainland, U.S. sometime this year and I also know that the chance of me finding a man here is 0 to none... and I am 35 and not getting younger.

So, as I said before, I think as a student you will be fine here because the school environment is different(as Sunil's Dad said).

Direct Message me and I can give you any info you want.

Good luck to you!!!! Enjoy school in Hawaii when you get here.... then leave.

Last edited by queenolu; 03-12-2009 at 04:10 AM..

Old 03-12-2009, 09:11 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,121,624 times
I was born and raised in Hawaii and until I joined the Military I had never seen a black person (other than movies, tv) before. Where I lived I simply never saw a black person. I will tell you that we call races by our local terminology. So a White is a Haole, a Black is a Popolo, and Chinese is a Pake, a Hawaiian is a Kanaka, and someone who is mixed is "Hapa", etc.

The person who thought that the person saying "get the Haole out" at a ball game would be offended by "get the local boy out" is PARTIALLY correct. He should have said "get the Kanaka out". If someone is looking to be offended they will be offended.

As for dating- all the guys care about is that the young women be attractive and most of all FUNNY (we have a twisted sense of humor here). If you wish to date only Black men then you will date mostly students & Military (AD, prior or Retired)- so it depends upon what you find attractive.

I have faced racism on the Mainland and I can tell you that locals are interested in who the person is- but we will call you by your race (goes back to plantation days - it is an identifier not a slur)- the difference is that we ID EVERYONE by their race, not just Whites & Blacks and frankly the ones who are offended do not know our culture and really have no interest in learning our culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii