Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2009, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,959 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Well my fiance and I are in our mid-20's and have been planning to move to Hawaii for a little while now. Are "go" date is April 1st. We have been planning on moving to the Big Island, preferably in Kailua-Kona but I have been researching and reading everything I can about all the islands and we aren't 100% sure on which one we want to move to.

Also, I would just love to make some friendly connections before we arrive. So basically what I'm asking is: Does anyone (preferable who has made a similar move or is in Hawaii now) have any suggestions for us? I am a Massage Therapist and bookkeeper and my fiance right now works in retail but has 5 years experience working for a dry wall company, any work related suggestions?

Thanks to all who reply!
Lina

Last edited by Bo; 01-24-2009 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Moved from General US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 08:56 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Lina, welcome! There are many folks here frm Washington state. Although jobs are much more scarce now than 1 year ago, I hope you don't have any trouble finding work. I hope also, that you have quite a bit of savings on which to live until you find employment.

We have been on the BI for 5 years. Several of my grown children, their children, and now my son's mother in law and young daughter have "followed" us here! We love living in Kona. Hawaii is a wonderful place for those who call it home.

This is a monumental move, so pack light. Store treasured items there for awhile perhaps, if possible, until you're settled in.

Anything I can do to help, you just let me know.

Aloha!

Old 01-24-2009, 10:46 PM

34 posts, read 135,525 times
We moved from Seattle to Honolulu in Sept. Brings lots of cash, especially if you don't have jobs. I transferred for my job so that wasn't a huge issue but my husband is having a hard time finding something of equal pay. The move was pretty crazy since we had to rent out our house, bring our cats, downsize all of our belongings. Definitely pack light...we got our container about a month ago and honestly, the only things we were glad to see were our big tv and dishes/pots/pans. We packed way too much clothes and are actually taking a ton of it to the goodwill.

We left important/memorable items at my father in law's place, such as pictures, wedding dress...etc.

This is a pretty amazing place but you definitely don't need to bring all your stuff...just lots of cash and an open mind

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2009, 12:30 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
More than likely, Husky422, your husband won't find a job that pays what he was used to on the mainland. There are always folks willing to take a pay cut to live here so the pay is always low. A lot of mainland jobs just don't even exist out here, too.

MSRauen23, pack really light and leave stuff on the mainland in numbered boxes so once you get settled in and decide you need whatever, you can have someone send over the specific boxes. There are always folks moving away so you can find just about anything you need on Craig's List or at a garage sale. Employment will be the hardest thing, so find a job first if you can, and then figure out where to live near the employment. Generally, a round trip airfare is the same price or nearly so of a one way ticket, so get an open ended return ticket so if things don't work out you won't be stuck.

For shipping stuff, U.S. Mail/Parcel Post is about the cheapest. Media Rate if it is books, CDs, DVDs etc.

For work related suggestions, you may want to look at WWOOFing (Willing Workers On Organic Farms) in Hawaii. You get a place to stay with usually a little bit of some sort of food in exchange for several hours of work a day. It is different for each situation, but you may be able to find a spot to start from.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:06 PM

806 posts, read 2,340,760 times
Thumbs up So true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky422 View Post
We moved from Seattle to Honolulu in Sept. Brings lots of cash, especially if you don't have jobs. I transferred for my job so that wasn't a huge issue but my husband is having a hard time finding something of equal pay. The move was pretty crazy since we had to rent out our house, bring our cats, downsize all of our belongings. Definitely pack light...we got our container about a month ago and honestly, the only things we were glad to see were our big tv and dishes/pots/pans. We packed way too much clothes and are actually taking a ton of it to the goodwill.

We left important/memorable items at my father in law's place, such as pictures, wedding dress...etc.

This is a pretty amazing place but you definitely don't need to bring all your stuff...just lots of cash and an open mind

Good luck!
SO TRUE!!! You hit the nail on the head!

Old 01-26-2009, 01:54 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
We also moved, about 5 years ago, because of my husband's job. I had a nice little company in Nevada which I sold. After almost 5 years and a complete change of careers (couldn't do same thing here), I am still grossing less than 1/2 what I was during the last 2 years of owning the company in NV. Now, I'm not saying it isn't worth it but it is a fact.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:09 AM

12 posts, read 50,984 times
Aloha....me and my significant other moved here on December 10th 2008. We chose Maui for several reasons. We brought lots of cash as we are between jobs. We brought both our cats and cars. Of course we packed to many clothes and have since donated them to the Salvation Army. We rent a really cute cottage in Kihei and our land lady is great. aloha

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-27-2009 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: for safety concerns, do not post your e mail address.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,796 times
Well we too are leaving Wa for the BI. Both of us being retired, I guess it is time to enjoy a little treat. I am interested in reading the answers to your post as I am long on general info i.e. all the internet has to offer, and short on actual human input. I hope this forum will help us with advice. Also starting the pet process. I have two cats and a Chow Chow I just couldn't leave behind. Any one with advice on how comfortable a really furry black dog will do in the tropical environment? She'll be the only one to miss the snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSRauen23 View Post
Hi All,

Well my fiance and I are in our mid-20's and have been planning to move to Hawaii for a little while now. Are "go" date is April 1st. We have been planning on moving to the Big Island, preferably in Kailua-Kona but I have been researching and reading everything I can about all the islands and we aren't 100% sure on which one we want to move to.

Also, I would just love to make some friendly connections before we arrive. So basically what I'm asking is: Does anyone (preferable who has made a similar move or is in Hawaii now) have any suggestions for us? I am a Massage Therapist and bookkeeper and my fiance right now works in retail but has 5 years experience working for a dry wall company, any work related suggestions?

Thanks to all who reply!
Lina

Old 02-09-2009, 10:01 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
There are very few chow chows and samoyed type dogs around here. She may prefer a haircut once she gets here so she won't be as furry. After she acclimatizes she will probably grow less fur, but I don't know. I've got a pair of angora rabbits (which are always kept in the shade) who persist in making loads of fur, but then, that's their job.

Lina, you could try checking the online Craig's List for jobs as well as the Kona newspaper: West Hawaii Today - Classifieds > Employment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii