Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 04:53 PM

24 posts, read 161,822 times

Advertisements

I need information regarding maui verses the big island or vice
a versa. Maybe the west side of maui is hotter or the vog
on kona in hawaii. Which one would you choose and why.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 08:18 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,879,562 times
I live in West Maui, so I can tell you a little about it. It is hot. At least as hot as Kona, and probably hotter than most of the rest of the Big Island. It's also dry most of the year unless you go pretty far mauka. And while it's a resort and tourist area that has plenty of shopping, it's far from the big box stores (K-Mart, WalMart, Lowe's, Home Depot, Costco, Sears, etc.), which are in Kahului. That means an hour's drive each way for anything you can't (or don't want to) buy at Safeway, Longs, Star Market, Foodland, or any of the seemingly thousands of "art galleries" and T-shirt/trinket shops.

I'm not running West Maui down, I'm simply saying that living here is different than visiting -- from a day-to-day perspective. Our public transporation is improving but not terribly efficient or reliable, so you almost have to have a car. The hospital is also an hour away, which means a long ambulance ride on a two-lane road for any kind of emergency. We do have HMO clinics, walk-in clinics, and very good EMT services, but we tend to stop and say "that's not good" any time we hear an ambulance siren.

Those are some of the practical aspects, the "negatives" if you will. We really love living here, though, and we enjoy our friends and neighbors and go to lots of community activities. Lahaina is a town in the old-fashioned sense of the word, and that gives the area a sense of community somehow, rather than the kind of endless, bland suburbs that we fled on the mainland.

The Big Island has many different zones of climate, terrain, etc., and I'm sure posters from there will let you know the pros and cons of living there.

Good luck.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:35 PM

96 posts, read 618,018 times
The Big Island has a great variety of climates to chose from. You can live on the dry almost desert like side of Kohala (dry side of Waimea to Waikoloa down to Kona). Or live in the very green yet wet side of Waimea, Hilo, Honokaa etc. There are only two main cities that have a 'larger' population, Hilo and Kona aka Kailua-Kona. The good part about the BI is that it isn't usually as crowded as Maui as Maui is more of a tourist destination compared to the BI. Though that doesn't mean there aren't a lot of tourist there as well. Especially in Kona and on the Gold Coast or Waikoloa area. THats where most the mainlanders and other tourists visit and stay. So it will be more crowded which will be a bit of a con to live there since you have a horendous traffic problem in and around Kona. The other down side is as you've mention the vog. It can be bothersome to those that have asthma or any other breathing issues. though sometimes the trade winds can clear it up. It's really difficult to just sit and list the cons and pros as it is best for you to see for yourself to truly get a feel for the island. I hope that you aren't moving there based on any info you've gained here, especially if you've never been to the islands. This info will be helpful I'm sure but don't just move if you've never been. Though if this is to just see about planning a trip than that's another story. Anyways the BI has a lot of smaller towns that date back to the times of the sugar plantations. it's nice to visit these places where the people are so kinda and welcoming, as long as you're respectful and kind in return (this is true throughout Hawaii). Go with a positive attitude towards the people, the culture and the island itself. I've never lived on the west side of maui so i really can't give you much input. though i would like to remind you that both islands will be expensive as everything is shipped to hawaii. maybe if you could narrow down where on the BI i could give you more detail it's just hard to talk about the island as a whole when there are dry climates, tropical forests and waterfalls to amazing beaches etc.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 11,451 times
Ive lived on both islands, and Maui by far is a better place to visit and/or live. Big Island is a very beautiful place, but it doesn't have many pristine, sandy beaches other than Hapuna, Spencer beaches in Kohala that Maui has. If you live in Hilo, it is a 2 hour drive to nearest sandy beach, yes I did not include Hilo beaches, well because the water is not safe to dip into, as is dirty from runoff from Wailuku River, staph infection waiting to happen!! If you live in Kona town, then it is a 30-40 minute drive to Hapuna Beach, which is still a good drive. Part of the problem with the B.I., is accessability to places, and long driving times. Kona to Hilo is one of the more mentally tiring drives one can take, especially if you take the Waimea or Ka'u routes. Stay away from Saddle Road as a shortcut, because it is worst highway in the US, they will fix Kona side of the highway within 5 years hopefully, and the Hilo side of Saddle has been repaired nicely, but Kona side is treacherous to say the least. Big Island has a lot of beautiful sights, and waterfalls, and the people are nice, generally, although some locals don't like Haoles too much, especially in Puna. If you are single, goodlooking man, then do not go to the Big Island to try and find a good woman!! This island does not have many single women who are attractive, and if they are they may be a head case, or a druggie, or has 3-5 men they are 'playing'. Big Island also has a vog problem, and still a chance for a major eruption in near future, and numerous earthquakes on the island itself. Maui has everything the Big Island has, shorter driving times, less voggy days, best beaches in the whole state, great scenery, and great place to meet singles! Big Island is more of a place for retired people, who want slower pace of life.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:10 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,862,202 times
Well, the thread is over a year old so the original poster is probably gone away somewhere, but in case they come back, how are folks supposed to get from Kailua Kona to Hilo on the Big Island if they don't go the Ka'u route, the Waimea route or across Saddle Road? No airplanes fly from Hilo to Kona, no other roads go there and the barge doesn't take passengers, so what's left? Oh well, all the folks should all live on Maui and not worry about it, huh?

Driving times on the Big Island do need to be taken into consideration, though. Even for tourists planning a vacation. Gas is getting up close to $4 a gallon again, so driving to the other side of the island is gonna cost a lot of money.

Old 05-16-2010, 11:33 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,382,464 times
Cool hmmm...

I didn't realize how old this post was either. It is by far one of the most informative discussions I have found between Maui and the Big Island.
All aspects are right on.
Koale.

Old 05-16-2010, 01:03 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,343,290 times
Saddle Road is probably the most exaggerated fallacy on the Big Island. It is no big deal. Much of it has bee repaved with the rest in the works. There are no services on the way though, such as gas stations so do be sure your vehicle is full and in good shape. About 1/2 way across you can stop at Mauna Kea State Park for a restroom break.

There are flights between Hilo and Kona every day however few people would use that as transportation on a usual basis.

Big Island may not have the long stretches of white sandy beach that many enjoy but there are lots of small sandy areas to enjoy, not to mention the hundred-and-one other places to visit!

Old 08-29-2010, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 10,719 times
If your main criteria for a place to live are 1. long white sandy beaches and 2. hot sunny weather, then you might want to look at Florida or Texas.

East Hawaii is wet and overcast a good deal of the time, but it's also very green. It all depends on what your priorities are. And yes, since the Big Island is sparsely populated, there's not the same kind of public transit you would find in a large US city. There is a decent free bus service that runs mostly for locals who need to commute across the island each day for work (I'm thinking Hilo-Waikoloa or Kapaau-Waikoloa).

Old 04-19-2012, 03:43 AM

2 posts, read 9,087 times
I just stumbled upon this website so please forgive me for posting this message right now in 2012. I must say I am very attractive in my 40's living in Kailua Kona HI so there aren't many eligible, attractive and stable older men on the Big Island. So it goes both ways. I am married to a very much older, very stable attractive gentleman who made it all happen. I would never have survived along with my daughters if it wasn't for him since the prices of food, gas & houses are still sky high. The real estate market is ripe with deals though no one is buying in this downturn.

Now back to life in Kona. I live at 1500 in elevation so it's pretty cold like 60's at night while it warms up in the day it's never really too hot. Not like Florida with intense heat it's amazing with the tropical breezes that cool my house. I live near Kona Palisades close to the mountains so it's like 10 minutes to get to Kona town. There's Target, Wal*Mart, Kmart plus Costco, grocery stores and the best part is Ali'i Drive where it's a bigger & better Key West, Florida. There is so much to do on the Big Island Maui would be so boring! You have big valleys with black sand beaches to explore, live volcanos, snow you can play in in Mauna Kea, the Kohala Coast where the best beaches & hotels are plus more. The vog though it appears as a haze is not harmful at all. In fact I have a young man with asthma staying with us who said he has never slept better with such clean air. The Big Island is huge so if I lived on Maui I would feel trapped definitely stranded on an island. At times it's hard for me to believe I live on an island since it feels like the mainland except when I look out I see the Kona Airport and the ocean so that is awesome. I will say a ton of locals even in Kona are not friendly so where I live I cringe in a way since I was so used to having friendlier neighbors. I have a perfect house though so that makes up for it plus once in Kona Town on Ali'i Drive most are very friendly so I have adjusted. You can actually own a very affordable home in Kona not Maui where there is less houses for sale so there are not many deals unless you're into buying a condo.

Aloha

Old 04-19-2012, 03:52 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,730,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs kailua kona View Post
I must say I am very attractive in my 40's living in Kailua Kona HI so there aren't many eligible, attractive and stable older men on the Big Island. So it goes both ways. I am married to a very much older, very stable attractive gentleman who made it all happen. I would never have survived along with my daughters if it wasn't for him since the prices of food, gas & houses are still sky high. The real estate market is ripe with deals though no one is buying in this downturn.

Aloha
Such a modest poster.

The good news is if you are male, eligible, attractive, stable, and older - you've got it made!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii