Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 10:41 AM

72,816 posts, read 62,121,069 times

Advertisements

I have done some intense thinking about all of the places wind power(and other energy sources) could be used and be very good places for it. Places like the Dakotas, Kansas, etc. often come up. No one has metioned Hawaii. The way I think about it, you have wind from the sea and there are ways that wind energy could be used. My worries would be the laws regarding business practices and stuff like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 11:23 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,880,618 times
There are at least three wind farms currently in operation, I believe. One each on the Big Island, Maui and Oahu. These are privately owned and sell the electricity generated to HECO. One is proposed for Lana`i, and there was talk of one for Moloka`i last year. Lana`i just opened a large solar facility this past month. There are quite a few stories about these on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin site, if you search "wind farm," but there's a brief overview of the state's plans at Isles power up clean-energy agreement - News - Starbulletin.com

HawaiiBusiness.com also has several articles about wind and other alternative energy sources in Hawaii. The real problem, as I understand it, is that Oahu by far consumes the most electricity while the neighbor isles have more land (and in some cases more wind). Distributing the power statewide would require the building of an undersea power grid -- $$$$$.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:04 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,536,847 times
Think about 15% of the electricity generated here on Maui is from the windmills out towards Maalaea, the makani, as in wind, really cranks through there pretty much on a daily basis. You'ld think that wind generated power would have been a no brainer, just look at what the Dutch were doing a few centuries ago. I think the real source of "wind" power, as of yet untapped, would be human generated, as in "passing wind", what with all the bean dip and doritos consumed during the Super Bowl yesterday, we would probably generate a surplus, and sell it to Saudi Arabia!!!! Just a thought

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 02-02-2009, 09:47 PM

96 posts, read 618,104 times
yea i know there's some down near south point on the big island. so of course it is here in Hawaii. though it is difficult to expand due to the fact that land is expensive, the entire island doesn't have strong winds to cover the expenses of building the windmills, not to mention i feel it would be better to use solar power as it's more compact and you can place the panels on top of houses rather then needing acres of open space.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:10 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,346,134 times
Solar, wind, and geothermal all present on the Big Island. We should be able to completely be independent of HELCO. Of course, "someone" would be thwarting those goals..........follow the money.

Josh Green is submitting legislation on behalf of these alternative energy sources. Let's hope he is successful.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:26 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,871,452 times
There are several big windfarms on the Big Island as well as some large photovoltaic systems and lots of small wind and solar installations.

Each and every one of us is able to be independent of Helco if we decide to do so. It even isn't all that expensive to put in a photovoltaic system anymore, especially with the new solar electric equipment that has come out in the past several decades.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:17 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,346,134 times
Yes, you are right. I did mean that as a county we could be independent however, I agree with what you said.

Recently I was talking to a friend of mine who is an engineer, contractor. I was telling him about a piece of property that I have my eye on, and it happens to be all solar. Anyway, he chuckled at me and said "For $12,000 I could completely have you on solar". We have a large family and even with no AC and reasonably conservative use, our bill is about $600 per month. In one year, that $12K would be recouped. (I left thinking gee why didn't I do that already!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: