Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 02:49 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,969,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaches84 View Post
I'm still going to have a hard time explaining to family/friends when I do go for my 3-6 month "sabatical" on the islands. But I'll cross that bridge when I come to it
Well, I have a friend that said to me, when I told her we were going to Hawaii again in September, "You know, that is not the only place on earth to visit." She has never been there, so she does not understand. and she's just jealous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 07:23 PM

96 posts, read 323,498 times
After we retired, we went to Hawaii for 2 weeks on each island. What a long extended vacation that was. Or so I thought before I left home. When we got to the last island of our visit [Oahu], we just did not want to go home. We called our children, found an apartment, and stayed another 3 months!!

That was our fist trip ever to Hawaii. Before I went, I thought "one trip to Hawaii and then each winter other locations" That was before I went. We tried Mexico the next year......but, it just did not compare.

We have returned every year since, and recently bought a couple condos there so we can spend the winters EVERY YEAR!! We rent the condos out when we are not there.

I'm never sure what I love the most: the cool breezes, the beautiful flowers and vegetation, the wonderful concerts, speakers, chamber music concerts, the beaches, the people?

I know what everyone of you are talking about: I feel alive, happy, carefree, and relaxed when I am there..........If it were not for grandchildren, I'd move there full time.....

Here is just one reason why:

http://images115.fotki.com/v662/photos/1/1136905/6901907/Picture130-vi.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-03-2009, 11:41 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
You know what it really is about Hawaii??? It will get into your pu'uwai, as in heart, it will invade your uha'ne, as in soul, the ocean, the mountains, the people, the ohana, family, food, surf, paddling, just seeing the look on some local kids face as he or she is stepping into the surf with a boogie board down at Kamaole 1 Beach Park here in Kihei is priceless!!! It's sometimes too much to comprehend, what is it about Hawaii??? And why do some folks get it, and the others don't??? I'll go out paddling, come back in at Kam 1, 2, or three, the south Maui beach parks, local kids in the water, I'm just about to shore, the kids, "Eh, Uncle, can try em!!!?????" As in try the racing kayak, I'm "Sure, go ahead", give em the paddle, off they go,,, normally have to swim out and get them, and the kayak, back to shore, after they huli, as in roll over and fall off. But where else would some kids call you "uncle", and you just turn the kayak over to them, so they can give it a try? Yeh, there is some "mana" to these Islands, a magic if you will, and I hope it stays here, after 33 years, I may stick around as well,,,,,,,,,,,

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 02-04-2009, 04:00 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,470 times
AlohaMarie, where is that photo? I LOVE the little island (and my son would too). I'd love to take him there sometime. Which island, where? Thanks!

Old 02-04-2009, 05:51 PM

263 posts, read 1,005,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
AlohaMarie, where is that photo? I LOVE the little island (and my son would too). I'd love to take him there sometime. Which island, where? Thanks!
Even though I'm not a resident (yet) I'll take a stab at answering your question. I believe the little island in this photo is directly in front of the Kahala Hotel & Resort just a bit east (am I allowed to say "east"?) of Diamond Head on Oahu.

If I'm wrong I am sure I'll hear about it.

Bob

Old 02-05-2009, 11:09 AM

96 posts, read 323,498 times
Default I thought you would never ask!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbeet View Post
You are indeed right!! That picture is taken on the island of Oahu, Hawaii....at Kahala Beach, located just 5 minutes from Waikiki beach, but a world away. It was taken between the public parking area beach at Kahala and the kahala Hotel. What a site!! I was surpised when I looked at the picture on my computer. It looked like a postcard to me. I'm not a great photographer, but then...this island is pretty good subject matter!!

We flip over it!!

http://images45.fotki.com/v1199/photos/1/1136905/6901907/Picture077-vi.jpg (broken link)

Old 02-05-2009, 05:49 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,470 times
Thanks! I'll write that down and remember to take my son there next time we're on Oahu. (I'm actually going at the end of the month so I might get to check it out myself first.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: