U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 01:04 PM

2,736 posts, read 3,840,070 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to visit a tropical island. The desire is really intense today since it is expected to get to ZERO F here in Lincoln, Nebraska tonight. The only good thing about Zero temperatures is that I know I can walk around without stepping on snakes (especially venomous varieties). Is that a concern in the Hawaiian Islands? If so what species? Spiders? Scorpions?

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 01:21 PM

4,121 posts, read 7,743,680 times
There are no snakes whatsoever in Hawaii.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:23 PM

28,114 posts, read 23,778,550 times
No snakes...but the centipedes...holy crud! Bad sting. And they like climbing into bed with you for some reason.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:22 PM

4,121 posts, read 7,743,680 times
We have visited Hawaii every year for many years and have never seen a spider. The only bite we got was a mosquito.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:57 PM

96 posts, read 411,734 times
there are snakes in hawaii! not sure what kind but we do have them. my entire family has been on hawaii for 4 generations trust me we got snakes
we no have deadly snakes on land but we sure got em in the ocean. we have sea snakes that are actually deadly but as long as you don't threaten them you'll be fine. we have spiders but no man eating ones or anything haha. just got to worry about the mosquito, centipedes and cockroaches

link about introduced species in hawaii. we have not native land snakes but they still managed to get here like some other annoying pests. ever heard of mongoose they were introduced too
http://www.explorebiodiversity.com/H...%20threats.htm

Last edited by KoaHawaii; 02-03-2009 at 03:09 PM..

Old 02-03-2009, 03:02 PM

888 posts, read 2,741,064 times
On the Big Island there are a few things that sting, centipedes where it is wet, scorpions where dry, and a few invasives like stinging caterpillars and yellowjackets. Mosquitos will probably be the only thing that bite you unless you're tromping through the jungle.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:10 PM

5,916 posts, read 9,628,899 times
We do have land snakes but they are hard to tell apart from big earthworms. If you see an earthworm which is gray, shiny and moves like a snake instead of like a worm, then it probably is a snake. It is hard to tell which end is the head and I don't think they are poisonous. Even if they were, I don't think their mouth is big enough to bite anything. They are also quite rare, I've only seen about four of them, ever, and I garden and dig in the dirt a lot.

We do have brown recluse spiders which are poisonous as well as the aforementioned centipedes, scorpions, fire ants, yellow jackets and loads of mosquitoes. Cockaroaches don't bite but they do fly. Cane spiders are big and scary, but I've never known one to bite anyone.

Generally, the most dangerous thing in the jungles is the terrain itself. You would be amazed at the number of folks who get hurt or killed by falling over edges. Our soil is crumbly and mountain climbing is dangerous. There are also edges that crumble and no signs telling ignorant people to stay away from the edge. Lots of folks drown in various ways, too. And we have diseases in the fresh water streams, such as leptospirosis and rat lung disease from slugs on vegetables.

I suppose feral pigs are dangerous, especially big sows with piglets but folks generally trap and hunt them when they get too close to houses.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:01 PM

888 posts, read 2,741,064 times
You got that right, hotzcatz. It's the things you can't see that are most dangerous, waterborne illness, and here in Puna especially, pukas; (holes) hidden under ferns & greenery, sometimes even opening up under you while you mow the lawn or walk a path that's been there for years. Practicallly everyone I know here has fallen in one at least once. I've been lucky, just one sprained ankle and several cuts.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:01 AM

2,717 posts, read 6,170,671 times
Not to mention the nasty bacterial infections one can get from those falls on the lava, especially near some shorelines. (lots of bacteria in the water which was a surprise to me) I have known several people who had a mere scratch on their leg and a few days later, they're in the hospital on IV antibiotics. I got a tiny nick on my toe once and in 2 days had red streaks going up my foot! Stay out of the ocean if you have a fresh cut or even a scratch.

We seem to have an inordinate amount of car accidents caused by drivers who drift over the line. Very few wide shoulders here, so there is no where to go if you're the unlucky one meeting this ?sleeping? ?impaired? ?inattentive? other driver.

So, relax, Gunluvr2, we don't have poisonous snakes on the islands. Come on over for a nice vacation!

Old 02-04-2009, 01:03 PM

2,736 posts, read 3,840,070 times
So, relax, Gunluvr2, we don't have poisonous snakes on the islands. Come on over for a nice vacation!

Now if I can just work out a house swap for a week or two LOL.
GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii