Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 09:26 PM

17 posts, read 108,691 times

Advertisements

Anyone looking to rent apartments/vacation rentals online. PLEASE beware of scams. They apparently are runnning rampant in Hawaii. I hate to admit it, but I was scammed twice. $6000 I donated ...................

Last edited by 7th generation; 02-27-2009 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: watch your language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 07:49 AM

96 posts, read 323,498 times
Default scam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMHRN View Post
Anyone looking to rent apartments/vacation rentals online. PLEASE beware of scams. They apparently are runnning rampant in Hawaii. I hate to admit it, but I was scammed twice. $6000 I donated ...................
Where did you find the post when you rented? How did the scam work? This is important so that others don't get hooked.

Last edited by 7th generation; 02-27-2009 at 03:57 PM..

Old 02-27-2009, 01:30 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,261,303 times
Please post details of your experience. We are planning a major Hawaii trip in late 2009, early 2010 and would greatly appreciate your input.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:10 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Had a "carpenter" working for my company a few years ago. He didn't last long, was all "waha" as in mouth, and very little "hana", as in work. Was more than happy to lay him off. He was, however, a very good talker... He moved over to Oahu, talked his way into a remodel job out in Hawaii Kai, evidently got a lot of money up front.. The owners were on the mainland for the summer. He hired a few fellow flunkies to work on the house, and, put an add in the paper, saying that deposits were now being taken for rental of this beautiful home right on the water in Hawaii Kai. The only reason I know this is because I was kind of watching the local news one evening, heard his name mentioned, look at the TV, and there he is, mug shot and all. He had defrauded folks out of thousands of dollars. So, yeh, this stuff does happen, caveat emptor!!!!

Aloha and okolemaluna,,, is it REALLY windy out, or what????????

Old 02-27-2009, 10:12 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,537,017 times
i hate to stereotype was he a local guy??

to the OP, I wonder what kinds of people do stuff like that??

Old 02-27-2009, 10:29 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
This guy was haole to da max!! Had pulled similar scams on the mainland, hence his presence in Hawaii. Think he's still doing time.. If you want a real scam artist, look no further than Madeoff, (with your money), and Stanford. How these guys live with themselves is beyond me..

Aloha, stay freezin!!

Old 02-27-2009, 11:56 PM

Haole huh... wonder where he learned that from.... his culture??

With name like Made Off... how can you trust um?

tonight might be a low.... 60........ burrrrrrrr.......

Old 03-04-2009, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 5,670 times
Man, these rental scams scaring me, I put a deposit for vacation rental in Ewa Beach this July. I found it on VRBO, they had many listings. It seems legit but wonder if there is any way to find out for sure.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:09 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawena View Post
Haole huh... wonder where he learned that from.... his culture??

With name like Made Off... how can you trust um?

tonight might be a low.... 60........ burrrrrrrr.......
Auwe Kawena! Haole culture doesn't tell them to go steal! It does tell them to talk loudly and to talk proud about themselves, which is annoying, but it doesn't tell them to go steal and scam. Most folks of any culture are good folks, these kine guys that go scam are just evil. No particular group of people is more likely to be evil than any other.

Below 60 here! Fifty something. Freezing! Windy, wet! Lost my fuzzy slippas! But got an electric blanket. Ha!

Old 03-04-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Auwe Kawena! Haole culture doesn't tell them to go steal! It does tell them to talk loudly and to talk proud about themselves, which is annoying, but it doesn't tell them to go steal and scam. Most folks of any culture are good folks, these kine guys that go scam are just evil. No particular group of people is more likely to be evil than any other.

Below 60 here! Fifty something. Freezing! Windy, wet! Lost my fuzzy slippas! But got an electric blanket. Ha!

I am messing with ya mang... I got some haole friends . that I call friends!!!

I was trying to make a statement...... crime has no color. people think just the locals rip people off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii