Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 07:25 AM

65 posts, read 432,307 times

Advertisements

Oh I love San Diego! You know the one thing that I was amazed at was how clean that city is. I mean it is a big city but it is very well cared for. No graffiti, garbage, etc.

Does your brother say there is tons of crime from it? I mean I know ice is everywere but the last time I was in Hawaii I saw cars with bumper stickers talking about the problem. I saw a special on TV addressing the epidemic in Hawaii. That just scares me.

I don't want to sell my home, sell all my things and move back to Hawaii only to see that it is the same and I want to move again.

Such a shame that the politicians and police can't get rid of this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2007, 11:47 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,256,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandsunshine View Post
Oh I love San Diego! You know the one thing that I was amazed at was how clean that city is. I mean it is a big city but it is very well cared for. No graffiti, garbage, etc.

Does your brother say there is tons of crime from it? I mean I know ice is everywhere but the last time I was in Hawaii I saw cars with bumper stickers talking about the problem. I saw a special on TV addressing the epidemic in Hawaii. That just scares me.

I don't want to sell my home, sell all my things and move back to Hawaii only to see that it is the same and I want to move again.

Such a shame that the politicians and police can't get rid of this problem.
Compared to other parts of the Big Island, crime is pretty rampant in Kona. Part of the reason is the "ice epidemic"; however, since the county government is based in Hilo, the local politicians and police probably aren't as responsive as they should be. Ironically, things in the Puna district, which is notorious for it's drug problems have improved partly as a result of the Federal "Weed and Seed" program and also because of gentrification.

However, compared to California, crime on the Big Island is virtually non-existent. For the most part, I don't have to worry much about locking my doors in Hawai'i. Unfortunately in California, I have to live behind a high wall, lock my doors with deadbolts, and set the burglar alarm.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:55 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,934,255 times
Quote:
I have a friend who lives in West Hills. That must be close to you. My favorite place to eat is in that area is "Follow your heart".
OMG.... That is my favorite place. I order the spanakopita every time. I've tried other menu options, but that dish is the best. I'm a carnivore myself, but I absolutely love that place. There's a chilean restaurant near there, it's a hole in the wall. But the food is wonderful. But, I definately miss Golden Coin, Genko Sushi, L&L drive thru, and Chinatown food venders.

In some ways I do miss HNL, but the job market is tourist based. After the tragedy of 9/11, Waikiki was a ghost town for a good four months. It was depressing.

What Hi. needs to do about the homeless is to start programs to slowly intergrete them into a functioning society. I know it involves alot of money and legislation, but Hi. needs to look out for the unfortunate. My two cents thrown in!

Mahalo for the memories down food lane!

Old 03-22-2007, 01:28 PM

L&L drie thru!! OMG OH I miss that. I miss malasada's, Sushi, bentos, Zippy's Chili, Dong Yang's in Wahiwa, lemon peel, li hing mui, Matsumoto's shave ice,etc.

You are right, they needs to help the unfortunate. I know it sounds harsh but I say no matter what city it is, arrest them. Take them in, have each person evaluted and then they can be helped.

If they are dangerous, lock them up, if they are drug addicts, reharb them, if they are sick, offer them help, if they are just going through hard times, help them and give them a job.

When California (LA) got real cold and they had freezing temps. I thought of those poor people. How would their piece of cardboard keep them warm now?

Well, you will know if I ever win the lottery because you will hear of a crazy lady driving through LA in a semi handing out food bags, first aide kits, sleeping bags and those little shopping carts clothes,etc.

I think we screwed up as a society when we turn our backs on our own people. You know what I mean?

Aloha

Old 03-22-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikag View Post
What Hi. needs to do about the homeless is to start programs to slowly intergrete them into a functioning society. I know it involves alot of money and legislation, but Hi. needs to look out for the unfortunate. My two cents thrown in!
Unless affordable housing is constructed, it's probably more cost-effective to give the homeless in Hawai'i a one-way ticket to Las Vegas. Quite a few "homeless" folks in Hawai'i are functioning members of society that have jobs, pay taxes, and send their children to school. Unfortunately, the lack of affordable, housing combined with a high cost of living results in many families living on the beach, in the parks, or on the streets.

Old 03-22-2007, 01:53 PM

Yes, I know when I was there, there were always the squatters (as they called them) You are right, they need to just build more afforable housing. If they would go out and get each family and find out WHY they are living on the beach, it would be a start.

I think WE just all turn our heads because it is not us. It just really has always bothered me.

Jonah I missed your first post about Kona and the crime. So has it gotten really bad or is it just "bad" for Hawaii?

I know it is everwhere. I went to Florida a few years ago and rented a house for a couple of weeks. About 5pm I decided to run to Barnes and Nobel. I got back to the house about a hour later and as soon as I walked in I saw my computer was gone. UGH. They broke in (broad day light) this was in a gated community in a yacht habor community. I knew they were high when they we in the house because of the things they did.

They walked right by 3 count them 3 ipods that were in the counter charging, they broke into the pool bathroom and walked right by my diamond engagement ring and wedding band laying on the sink, took the computer and left the charger, took a pair of bose jewel cube speakers but left the wallet that was on the counter containing $350 cash! BUT took the prescription for ACIPHEX that was on the night stand! LOL little did they know it was just for indigestion! LOL

Anyway, they broke into a mercedes across the street and stole a camera. Here the neighbor on the other side over hear him screaming that he was going to break into someone's house! So the guy told the police that and that was how they knew where to look.

I told the cops they had to be high at the time because of the things they took and the things they left or missed that were righ tin front of their faces. Sure enough it was a few doors down, someone was subletting a room to a guy. The cops looked in the window and there he was passed out with all of his stolen things. 5 hrs later we had our things back. The man was an ice addict and needed to get $$ for his next set of drugs.

So we were in a safe, upscale neighborhood, doors locked, gated community in the day light and druggie man broke in anyway. So you never know.

I just wonder compared to the rest of the mainland states, how is this area????

Old 03-23-2007, 02:34 AM

29 posts, read 171,194 times
My brother never has complained aobut crime. I know the ice prob is big but he has never said that the crime wasawful I will ask him though. the last time I visited ther I felt pretty safe but then again here in Oregon meth is a huge problem too. we just dont call it Ice.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:38 AM

Thanks! I will keep checking back here to see if you have talked to him and what he says.

I just hate to think of selling my home, my possessions, furniture, cars,etc to get there and regret it.

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2007, 12:13 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,934,255 times
Quote:
Thanks! I will keep checking back here to see if you have talked to him and what he says.

I just hate to think of selling my home, my possessions, furniture, cars,etc to get there and regret it.

Thanks!
I hate to say it.... DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!
Stay on the mainland. You have 47 other choices.
Good Luck

Old 03-23-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Jonah I missed your first post about Kona and the crime. So has it gotten really bad or is it just "bad" for Hawaii?
Compared to ten years ago, the crime rate in Kona has increased somewhat; however, compared to O'ahu, Maui, and Kaua'i, the crime rate in Kona is fairly low. North Hilo, Hamakua, and North Kohala probably have the lowest crime rates on the Big Island. Unfortunately, there are other things going on here besides drugs that might be a cause for concern....
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ii-cover_N.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: