Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 04:01 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,470 times

Advertisements

Went shopping yesterday. Noticed a couple of things. All at Safeway, Kapaa.

Milk, 1%, $4.49/gallon.
Small container of sour cream (8 oz.?), $1.49.
Large tub of plain yogurt, $2.99.

Eggs, 1 doz. Lg., $2.79.

Cucumbers, on sale, 8 lbs./$10, so that's $1.25/lb. (1 med. cuke $0.75)
White onions, $2.59/lb.
Tomatillos, $3.99/lb.
Green leaf lettuce, $2.69/head.
Mushrooms, 8 oz., $4.19 (ugh.)

Tilapia fillets, $5.99/lb.
Frozen chicken thighs, 4 lb., $8.96.

Box of Ginger Snaps, 16 oz., $5.29. (only one brand, and needed for a recipe. ugh.)

French bread, $2.19.

Costco:
12 bagels, $5.49.
Raw shrimp, 31/40 ct., 2 lbs., $11.99
Jarlsberg Swiss cheese, about 3 lbs., $10.10

FYI.

Oh, and gas is up to about $2.54 most places, $2.41 at Costco, and climbing again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 04:00 AM

7 posts, read 27,924 times
wow, i thought gas would be more expensive there! that is encouraging, and those grocery prices don't scare me too much. i am so tired of hearing the same darn thing every time you mention a move to hawaii..."don't you know how expensive it is? it costs 10 dollars for a gallon of milk, and you won't see your dog for 6 months!!"

Old 03-19-2009, 04:25 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
So are we - or anyone that really lives on islands

Yes the move and find employemnt/have employment is real. Also visit more than a week is real. Dont' buy without seeing real. Coming over here unprepared real. Keep mainland attitude real. If you spend 5K to 10 k to move do you have it to move back real!

But for the most part -here in WA on forum I question the people also being from the state for many years.... Geezz what is this Twilight series doing to Forks WA are you nuts to move there? each place has it own beauty and reasons not to move. now if you are on an island 2500 miles from anywhere else .... take the time to check it out come one be logical.

Old 03-19-2009, 04:36 AM

203 posts, read 1,358,021 times
I'm sure Safeway is also more expensive than other stores in Hawaii, as it is here as well. Was told it's because they're union, but either way; more expensive

Old 03-19-2009, 01:23 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brav989 View Post
I'm sure Safeway is also more expensive than other stores in Hawaii, as it is here as well. Was told it's because they're union, but either way; more expensive
On Kauai, the two big supermarkets are Safeway and Foodland. In our experience, Foodland is more expensive.

Hank

Old 03-19-2009, 02:10 PM

649 posts, read 3,444,470 times
Yup, there's also Big Save and Star Market. Each of the 4 carries some things the others don't, and has some deals. Big Save has some good weekly specials if you have the time to go there just for the specials. We find Safeway to be, overall, the most convenient and least expensive for the stuff we buy most often.

I think Big Save and Star have better selections of many ethnic foods (asian, mexican). Those are where my hubby checks when he wants something special for a recipe.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:08 PM

682 posts, read 2,794,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
But for the most part -here in WA on forum I question the people also being from the state for many years.... Geezz what is this Twilight series doing to Forks WA are you nuts to move there?
Hahahaha! This made me laugh. My nephew & his family lived in Forks for a long time... much too long if you ask them. I've been thinking the same thing about Twilight.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:37 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
We went through Forks on vacation several years ago. I thought Hilo was rainy! Well, they don't have a patch on Forks! Sheesh! Lovely greenery around there, though. The trees are HUGE.

The Big Island has KTA markets which are good. Nice fresh produce and less expensive than some of the other markets.

There are more Farmer's Markets popping up lately, too. There is now two in Waimea, one by the big park towards the dry side and one just as you enter the wet side. Both of them are on Saturday mornings. There is now a Farmer's Market in Laupahoehoe on Sunday mornings from nine to one. It is small but growing.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:01 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
OK I can't help myself - I will be short - two of you replied about Forks...

I just found it to be much the same -but way differnt- of what peoples conceptions are of a place they have never been too. I thought it was crazy that someone would buy in HI or move without being there before hand to check out. But Hey it has reputation of Paradise and it is warm and does have many nice things.... read it in a book or saw a movie and think life is the same for them if they move.....

I love WA -I love Forks - I love the Olympics - But these people because they saw a movie or read a book and want to move! R U Kidding!!!!!! this town is like the size of Pahoa - rains rains rains cold yes huge trees - makes Pahoa look like a hub for employment... redneck .... redneck really... three layers of cloths in summer - did I mention rain.... like more than Kaui rain... intersting question - they said tonight Forks most rain in US - more than Kaui? I know it is colder... and maybe second....

a local TV show tonight did a bit about the town and this Twilight series.... people are coming from all around the world... too Forks?? they have started tour buses like HI to drive around the town which would be a little bigger than Pahoa to point out the interests...a house - a medical center- etc. Pahoa and Forks other than Timber has the same AG crop going with Ice as in HI called.... OK I will stop... Amazing what peoples conceptions are and what they do with it. Like a post months ago I found on here of a gal asking what a lifes coach average income would be on BI.....

OK I have been a poster questioning but Geezzz please really check out where you want to transplant too........ done sorry for the rambling off subject

Old 05-13-2009, 10:37 PM

121 posts, read 524,498 times
Hey guys, I went score on da strawberries today! 50 cents a lb. There are eight one pounders in a case. Bought a whole case for four bucks. Two for my neighbors on the left, two for my neighbors on my right and four for my family. And these are for *fresh* California grown. They also had watermelon for 25 cents a lb. But that will come down as summer approaches.
Get 'em at the the Marina Food Market on Senter Rd.
Eddie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii