Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 09:21 AM

8,012 posts, read 4,631,899 times

Advertisements

Hi. I currently live in St. Louis, MO and am looking to relocate to a sunny warm/hot climate with lush tropical landscaping. I am 50 years old and on a disibilty income. I tend to prefer a unique cabin/small house as opposed to a "cookie cutter" apt./condo with lots of neighbors nearby. I value my privacy. Nightlife and city living don't interest me. Ideally a plain cottage/cabin or small house with a nice big yard with lush landscaping and privacy would be ideal. A bit of acreage would be a plus. I have considered the Big Island (near Hilo) but I'm afraid it would be too rainy there? I have also considered Maui because it is sunny but yet it is much more "crowded" than the Big Island. Are there places as I described in Maui? Where in Hawaii is the best chance to find the living situation as I have described? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 12:17 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
We have a house on the Big Island in the District of Ka'u. Lots of cabins such as you describe, but not lush landscaping unless you plant it yourself. We do not water any of our landscaping because we depend on the rain to do so. So, if you want lush landscaping, you will have to be someplace that is may be rainier than you are used to, or pay more for irrigation system and watering.

Although it is rainy in Hilo, it does not rain non-stop. I think it rains in the afternoons, but we've been there plenty of times in the nice warm sun. I bet you could find what you want in the Hilo area.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:39 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,302,002 times
The post above is right in pointing out that East Hawaii gets a lot of rain, but there are rainy periods and then there are dry periods. Right now, we are coming out of one of our long rainy periods (typical during "winter" months)...but in a month or so, we will probably be looking at our lawns and hoping for rain. Happens every year!

If you want a larger lot, take a look at Orchid Land Estates, Hawaiian Acres, Fern Acres and Fern Forest in the Puna district. Orchidland and Hawaiian Acres are going to have some areas that are more "lush" than others (lots of Ohia trees in these subdivisions). The higher-elevation subdivisions, Fern Acres and Fern Forest, can have very thick growth that seems more like "rainforest". At even higher elevations, subdivisions around the Volcano area are much cooler and are very lush, but lots are smaller than those listed above and there are probably more cloudy/drizzle-y days than the lower elevation areas.

(By the way...there are larger acreage parcels available that are not part of the subdivisions mentioned here. These are just suggestions for those beginning an investigation into East Hawaii real estate. There are websites with mapping features that can help you narrow down areas to search...or an RE agent can send maps through the MLS that show elevation, rainfall, etc...But nothing beats coming to visit and seeing for yourself!)

Last edited by cynmkolohe; 03-13-2009 at 05:50 PM..

Old 03-13-2009, 08:56 PM

13 posts, read 92,642 times
Aloha, However, prices vary widely on the island for land from $5000 for an acre (up high and off grid) to 17 Million for a small lot (down low and in resort areas)! And there is always a reason why the price changes so much besides size of property.

It does rain more on the east side of the island than the west side. The Big Island has 17 out of 19 of the world's ecosystems and they change very quickly depending upon elevation and mountain ranges. Ocean View may be the least expensive buy in price on the SW side. Maui is going to be quite a bit more of an investment.

You need to visit the Big Island and see if you like the various areas on an extended vacation and then narrow down where you want to live. Much of the Big Island can be attractively landscaped and plants grow amazingly fast!

Old 03-13-2009, 11:06 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
When getting an acre of lush landscaping, remember that we do not have winter like the mainland does. If you have a quarter acre of lawn, that's a quarter acre that will have to be mowed all year long.

Depending on your disability, you may want to look into the availability and quality of the hospital facilities on each island.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:10 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
What is your price range? Will it be a cash purchase or will you need a mortgage? Do you need medical services of a certain type nearby?

Come visit and look around the Big Island, depending on your preferences and budget, you're likely to find something here.

I lived in SW MO for many many years. I don't miss it for one second!

Best wishes.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:19 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
Since Wondermint2 never mentioned BUYING a property, I find it amazing that everyone assumes he will BUY and not RENT.
Here is a link to the Hawaii Tribune-Herald newspaper rental classifieds:
Hawaii Tribune-Herald :: Hilo, Hawaii > Classifieds > Rentals
There are quite a few one bedroom cabins and shacks on acreage to look into.
Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii