Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 01:58 PM

9 posts, read 56,328 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Oahu from Minnesota in late July and my plan is to drive to California and ship my car from there. I have a couple questions about this process and would greatly appreciate any help.

Approximately how much would it cost to ship a small, four-door Saturn from California to Oahu?

Can I load up my trunk and backseat with my clothes and other belongings when it is shipped to Hawaii?

If anyone has recently had a car shipped and knows first-hand, or knows from someone else, I would love some advice. Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 02:45 PM

25 posts, read 159,566 times
I shipped my small four door sedan from Seattle to Maui last July. I used Matson, it cost $1055 and the car had to be completely empty empty of all personal items. The shipping price may have changed since then but I am pretty sure that it was the same to ship from any of their west coast ports to most of the islands. There is another company that people use called Horizon that will ship your car in a protected container, I think the prices were almost identical between Horizon and Matson. Neither will let you fill the car with your belongings. I believe that's mainly due to the added weight of the car. Do a google search for both companies and you will be able to get a quote.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:40 PM

4 posts, read 32,063 times
It is around $1078 now to ship. You can ONLY have a spare tire, jack, and child carseats-nothing else. I mean nothing, they went through my CD player to make sure everything was out of there, nothing can be in the glove compartment either. They will take your floor mats and antenna off and put them in a box in the back. YOu also must arrive with your car spotless--no dirt and it has to be under 1/4 tank of gas.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:34 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,170 times
You can ship out of Long Beach, Richmond (next to Oakland) or Seattle ports.

You must make a reservation to ship no earlier than 90 days away from your expected shipping date.

Cost is presently $1072 plus a charge of 50 cents (yes, $.050) per thousand pounds of vehicle weight.

We chose to ship out of Richmond since one-way flights from Oakland,CA were about $300 cheaper than out of LAX. With 4 tickets to buy, that saved over $1200 alone!

POV – Book Your Car – Matson: Automobile, Vehicle, Auto, Car Move Shipping Transport to Hawaii, Guam, Micronesia - Matson Booking

Their website is a little messed up - it shows only Long Beach and Seattle on one of the web pages to ship out of, but the other pages list Richmond, CA. I verified with them that they do ship out of Richmond.

We ended booking tickets to Hilo via Hawaiian Airlines. We are shipping one vehicle out almost 4 weeks early so that we have a vehicle in Hilo when we arrive and won't have to get a rental car.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:15 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,677,380 times
Two choice. The first is what you have been told. Ship it as a vehicle, empty, clean, 1/4 tank gas.
Second option is as frieght. 1/4 tank gas and everything you can fit inside.
Option one is priced as a vehicle, Option 2 is around the same co$t as a 20' container. It would be much cheaper to ship the car as a vehicle and send the cloths and other stuff through parcel post from the post office.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 15,288 times
Quote:
Option 2 is around the same co$t as a 20' container. It would be much cheaper to ship the car as a vehicle and send the cloths and other stuff through parcel post from the post office.
Do you know the name of a shipping company that accomodates a car full of personal items, clothes, dishes, etc. as freight?

Old 03-27-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devs View Post
Do you know the name of a shipping company that accomodates a car full of personal items, clothes, dishes, etc. as freight?
Same as car shipping...

Matson

However, you will be shocked as to the price. Ship the car separately and use USPS Parcel Post and USPS Flat Rate Boxes. You will save a large bundle of cash.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:31 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,394,522 times
The main reason for no personal items in the car is, they probably will NOT still be there when your car arrives. All kinds of people will have access to the car before you ever see it again. One arrived recently in Hilo minus it's battery!

I shipped mine Matson from Long Beach and besides needing my cousin who lives there to get me to the right port (egods I would have been soooooo lost), everything went fine. It was here in 12 days to the Big Island.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:58 PM

19 posts, read 123,977 times
The latest pricing I got from several companies was $1900-$2100. Everyone on this board has been saying around $900-$1000. Have the prices really gotten that high?

Old 04-02-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kato7997 View Post
The latest pricing I got from several companies was $1900-$2100. Everyone on this board has been saying around $900-$1000. Have the prices really gotten that high?
Shipping from where? If you ship out of Long Beach, Oakland or Seattle, the price is about $1075 for a car or pickup truck. Maybe you were getting "Guaranteed/Preferred dates? which is about that cost?

Get a Rate - Automobile Shipment - Matson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii