Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 02:05 PM

10 posts, read 68,447 times

Advertisements

I know, I know, there have been other pet transporting threads here before but my dog is my baby and I want to make sure all my questions are answered before I put him on a plane.. He is a small dachshund, about 12 pounds and 1 year old, and he will (hopefully) be coming to join me in Hawaii soon. He has been staying with my mother in NY for the past month to wait for the waiting period to elapse so he can come to Oahu.
However, I recently found out a bunch of new information I wasn't prepared for..

For example, pets are not allowed to fly in the cabin into Hawaii. I checked United Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Airlines, and Continental Airlines...

The original plan was we would have him accompany my sister on her flight to come visit me in cabin.

Now, I'm hearing horror stories about pets dying whern shipped as cargo and pets are only allowed within certain temperature restrictions... Its getting hotter here in Hawaii, today the forecast is supposed to top out at 81 degrees.

My question is posed to all of the people who have had experience shipping your pet into Hawaii. What airline did you use? Is there a difference between checked baggage and cargo in terms of where the animal will be staying for the flight? Has anyone specifically transported their pet from NY to Hawaii? Once again, which airline? Are all airlines temperature controlled and pressurized for where the pet will be contained?

I'm hoping the worst of it will just be nerves for the pets and not having to deal with intense temperature changes and loud noises of the motor constantly operating close by... Whats it like inside the cargo part of the airlplane for these pets?

I'm not asking about the quarantine part, I've already dealt with that issue. Just want to know which method of transporting you used and which you believe is best. Thank you so much for your input, it is truly appreciated.

Amanda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 03:34 PM

27 posts, read 107,593 times
From what I hear, it's mainly just older dogs, sick dogs, and breeds who are rather sensitive to the elements in general that have problems on flights. I've never gone where my baggage does, so I couldn't tell you what it's like there. However, I used to work for an airline company loading baggage, and unloading dogs, cats, etc. Never ran into a dead one, although I have unloaded a dead body once shipped for funeral purposes. EEk!

Whatever you're suppose to ship the dog in, get him used to that home and scenario before he ships. Cold, Warm, Long hours in there. Noise. Anything to prepare him would certainly help. Speaking with your vet, also may provide ideas and perspective. Out of curiousity, do you own a home in hawaii, rent, own a condo? I've been looking for condos that accept dogs, and am having very little luck. (granted I don't have a 12 lb doggy) more along the lines of a 80 lb staffordshire terrier, whom I personally believe could not only live through a trip to hawaii in cargo, but laugh at it.

Anyways, best of luck and hopefully you'll be with your four legged friend soon.

Aloha.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:57 PM

649 posts, read 3,437,184 times
Continental, Pet Safe Program. Climate-controlled. Non-stop, Newark to Honolulu, about 11 hours. Lands at about 6:15, with time to clear agriculture before it closes at 8 p.m. Send with a bit of dry food and some ice cubes in the water dish (as they melt he can drink). At the drop-off spot in Newark they have a cooler of ice. DRYFUR Pet Travel Transport Tips - Airline Required Shipping Supply has absorbent crate liners, extra ties to make sure the crate doesn't come apart, dishes, labels, etc. You can buy a little kit with everything you need. They also have crates, or you can get them at PetSmart or other stores.

Good luck, he'll do fine.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:17 PM

10 posts, read 68,447 times
Thank you for the replies Sweetbeet and Winter Hater.

By the way, Winter Hater, I don't have a condo, we rent an apartment in Waikiki and able to have pets except the price of rent goes up another 50 bucks.

There are places on Craigslist I'm sure, thats how I found my apartment. There is a separate option for you to check off if you want to search for places that allow pets.

Good luck!

Old 04-06-2009, 02:41 PM

6 posts, read 28,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaiasillo View Post
Thank you for the replies Sweetbeet and Winter Hater.

By the way, Winter Hater, I don't have a condo, we rent an apartment in Waikiki and able to have pets except the price of rent goes up another 50 bucks.

There are places on Craigslist I'm sure, thats how I found my apartment. There is a separate option for you to check off if you want to search for places that allow pets.

Good luck!
We are moving to Oahu in May as well. Currently have 2 Rat Terriers that are 10 and 12 lbs. Doing the waiting period now.

Found a place by Ala Moana that accepts pets too. Where did you locate your place at?

Old 04-07-2009, 11:22 AM

682 posts, read 2,787,237 times
My dog flew here on Hawaiian from LA. They max at 3 pets per plane, so you have to make a separate reservation. They seemed to take really good care of her... let me know that she was on board, then checked in at the end of the flight, etc. My cats came on United from Boston via Chicago. They were also really nice. They told my husband when they were on the plane, let him know that the cats had made the connection, etc.

My impression is that my dog was way less freaked out by it than I was. I was worried the whole time, but she was in her cozy crate (yes, get them used to the crate first!). It was probably loud & scary, but not too bad. She was happy to see me at quarantine, but not any happier than when I come home from a day at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: