Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 04:27 PM

27 posts, read 107,562 times

Advertisements

I've been doing research on this topic for so long my head hurts, and can't find any condos that accept pups ANYWHERE. Cats, birds, fish... as if that's really a "pet" are allowed in several locations on oahu. No offense to marine biology majors who cuddle up next to their fish tank at night, but really now. As if Any association should care if there's a fish tank in the condo which you've bought for hundreds of thousands of dollars, and provide hundreds more each month for association fees. I might be alone on this, but come on. As for dogs, I understand the concept of why they wouldn't allow them. (dog feces on their property, biting, barking, etc) But are all condos and townhomes really this uptight?

Not every one is capable of buying a 400k-600k home which I've come to the sad conclusion, is the only way to bring your dog to hawaii. At least your dog that weighs greater than 20 lbs. (some places will accept ankle biters, but few to my knowledge) I notice many people on this board, who are bringing their dogs. Is it safe to assume they're all getting enormous loans for housing? Or can Afford half a million dollar homes?

Are there any real estate agents on this site than can give me some insight into this matter? Also, to create further problems... he's a staffordshire terrier which is commonly referred to as a "pitbull" although if you get technical, there are numerous breeds referred to as a "pitbull" so please don't use this forum to blast these dogs, or tell me how horrible they are. It's how you raise them, not their breed in general. Nuff said.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any information (good or bad) as I'm more important in finding out the truth in this scenario, than rumors or "ive seen pitbulls around, they must have places that rent to them" Also, I'm not looking to live in the "slums" or for lack of better words that spring to my vocabulary, the "ghetto" as I'm sure there may be a few places that do allow these dogs in bad areas.

Thanks! or Mahalo! Whatever you prefer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 07:24 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,880,330 times
I hate to ask a stupid question, given that you've researched this, but have you Googled things like "pet-friendly condo oahu?" I'm asking because it produces several lists of pet-friendly condos (whether or not they have units available -- or how much they cost -- is another matter, of course). Some have weight limits, but some do not appear to. Here are three I looked at: a list of pet-friendly condos in Waikiki Real Estate Blog - Waikiki Pet Friendly Buildings, a realtor's site with a list of pet-friendly condos and townhomes (and beach rules for dogs) Hawaii pet friendly condos and townhomes for sale Oahu, and another realtor's site with pet-friendly housing based on different areas of Oahu Oahu Real Estate Agent - Hawaii Honolulu Wakiki - Condos For Sale (http://www.realestate-oahu.com/dog_friendly_buildings_Hawaii.php - broken link) These are just examples, obviously, but there are tons of "results."

You may have better luck by first finding a realtor who's familiar with the areas and individual properties, then letting them suggest places for you.

Staffies are fab dogs! People can be rather clueless about breeds. We have a classic, old-style Jack Russell, long legs/rough coat -- a perfect specimen. (The kind the AKC now would like for us to call a "Parson Jack," but we refuse to). People think she's a beagle mix. Grrrrr!

Last edited by whynot?; 04-04-2009 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 04-04-2009, 07:49 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,345,254 times
One issue is that certain breeds that have been classified as "aggressive" by the insurance industry. Thus, that specific breed is not allowed because the owner's insurance would be cancelled. Weight limits pertain to size of animal desired in that particular community. Condo associations set their rules by various perameters including laws, and insurance requirements.

The main reason for the breed exclusions is the liability issue; right, wrong or indifferent.

Over here on the Big Island, there are very few condo associations that permit dogs at all. 3 or 4 that I can think of in Kona off the top of my head. They vary in weight limits and most only allow 2 pets regardless of what the animal is.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:26 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,868,943 times
Most of the folks who I know that have pit bulls or pit bull mixes are using them as hunting dogs and have a whole yard full of dogs. I suppose their area would classify as the area you'd prefer not to live in, though. None of them live in condos. None of them live in town, for that matter.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:50 AM

65 posts, read 288,411 times
Great post whynot?! Great research. KonaKat, good information about the insurance companies. Yes, breed specific bans are bad news, and we need to write our representatives protesting these bad proposed laws. Winter Hater, "pit bull" is the local name for your terrier. They are wonderful dogs, I agree.

Most condo communities do not allow dogs because of the barking/noise issue. Then there is the digging/propery damage issue. However, many associations understand the homeowner quality of life perspective, and say okay to dogs, conditional on no subsequent compaints from neighbors.

Back to pit bulls: as a community we need to communicate with local micro-community members who raise dogs to hunt pigs. Many are kept in small chain link kennels or short chained to a post for all of their lives, only unrestrained on the rare hunting trip. Some pig hunters take very good care of their dogs. I wish those folks would be more proactive in policing their hunting community. But I digress.

You need to hire an agent who knows the area/price range you prefer, and s/he will identify the neighborhood that welcomes pets, and will know where the dog park is. Join the local pit bull club. Good luck!

Old 04-05-2009, 05:36 AM

2,265 posts, read 4,096,976 times
Check the Hawaiian Humane Society's website since it offers some great tips about renting with animals (they used to offer some tips about actual rentals but I have not searched the site for a while so it may have changed).

Good luck with your search- unfortunately a great many HOAs do forbid any type of "pitbull" dogs regardless if one owns or rents. My own HOA forbids Pitbulls, Rotties, Chows and any mixture of these dogs, good thing I have a Golden Retriever!!!

Old 04-05-2009, 04:05 PM

First off, I'd just like to thank everyone who put in their two cents, and did a little bit of research on my behalf. It is appreciated, and very kind.

To answer whynots "stupid question" yes, I've googled similar wording (pitbull friendly housing) was my first attempt for instance... Not a stupid question though, as some of your results were better than the ones I've discovered. However, many of the places that don't say anything about weight restrictions, have breed restrictions hidden in their policies as melanie said. HOAs don't really want to take the risk, which is unfortunate.

I'll keep looking, and will look through the links you provided me as I can't imagine giving away my best friend to trade off winter for paradise. If I do find any particular buildings that have no problem with pitbulls, I'll be sure to list them for anyone else who is having the same dilemma.

Thanks again!

Old 04-05-2009, 07:12 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,345,254 times
Depending on your price range, you might be able to find a small single family home in a neighborhood with few or no "rules" as in no HOA. Do you have a realtor on Oahu helping you in your search? For some reason I got the idea you were wanting to move there.

And remember that while the price of a condo may be less than a house, you also will have monthly maintenance fees, and possible future (or current) special assessments that will mean additional monthly expenses on your home.

where do you want to live, exactly?

Old 04-06-2009, 02:17 AM

The metro area of Oahu is where i've been looking... would settle for anywhere close by, that wouldn't make getting to work a complete hassle.

Ideally close to waikiki beach, preferablly with an ocean or partial ocean view. One Bedroom, or large studio condo would work. Lower maintenance fees the better, and pet-friendly towards pitbulls is a must. Under 275k, but ideally closer to 250k. Also willing to look into townhomes that aren't overlooking the sea, but that's if I absolutely cant find a high-rise that allows my dog.

Think it's possible? If you have any ideas, or know of anything you think might work - feel free to pm me, or message directly.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:14 AM

682 posts, read 2,785,878 times
There are lots of dogs in my neighborhood (Makiki / Punchbowl area). When we finally bought a place, it was in the range you mention. But I will say, I don't think we paid any kind of premium for "pet friendly". The price we saw here was about the same as comparable units in less pet-friendly buildings.

Having just been on the market, I think the main problem is your price range. We really didn't find anything we thought was livable in that range. Maybe you'll be OK in (much) smaller places than we were looking at. (We have two people and three pets, so we need a bit of space, I guess.)

When we were buying, I worked with a great realtor, and she's been through the "pet friendly" search with us. (We have a large -- for Honolulu standards -- dog and two cats. If you think a place that takes pits is tough, try a place that takes three pets. Darn near impossible.) If you want her contact info, DM me.

It's do-able to find a pet-friendly place. And all the pits I see around... they've got to be living somewhere! But I suggest working with an agent who can screen the places for you. It's a pain to go through all the listings yourself and try to weed out the ones that are not suitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii