Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 07:17 PM

11 posts, read 20,373 times

Advertisements

Hello All, Some day I WILL be Hawaii bound!!!! Can anyone tell me what subdivisions seem to be the mellowest with less riff/raff that has become a global situation???I have looked at many lots online for quite sometime and I must do a look see for myself....Any help would be grateful...Thanks, John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 07:30 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,459,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoJohn View Post
Hello All, Some day I WILL be Hawaii bound!!!! Can anyone tell me what subdivisions seem to be the mellowest with less riff/raff that has become a global situation???I have looked at many lots online for quite sometime and I must do a look see for myself....Any help would be grateful...Thanks, John
Which island?
Other than that little detail, visiting is the best way to go about finding where on an island you wish to be.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:39 PM

242 posts, read 1,184,004 times
Default Someday Hawaii Bound!!!!

I use to live on Maui, but I never visited the island just read about the islands back i Dec 1970, hardly anything to read back then but I picked Maui. Now things are not the same, Prices gone up on everting! Bess you visit and see if you can handle the HIGH FOOD PRICES, and bro, they is HIGH as the SKY, no JIVE! Rentals still high, but i noticed they have come down from last year's prices, but you gonna have honey-butter come down your nose, da is you be crying cuz dem food bills gonna eats up all your hard earned monies and rent too. and what is the wages out there> I read last year that cooks were only making $10 in dem restaurants. But in 1992... cooks in Restaurants were making $10! so if they are making $10 wow, dat is bad news. The last time I worked in a restaurant I was making $8 and that was in 1992. so if not better than that now, HOLY COW!! How can ypu live in the islands now days?

Old 04-11-2009, 08:55 PM

11 posts, read 20,373 times
Hey Gang, Thanks for the fast replies....I'm looking at Big Island East Side....Like I do here I would grow much of my own viddles....I live very simple here and would do the same anywhere...I see that some areas get more rain than others...In you opinions is there a happy medium to grow the most fruits and veggies???Hawaiian acres????? Thanks for any input!!!

Old 04-12-2009, 03:44 AM

11,048 posts, read 23,877,314 times
Generally, it is the "Big Island - Hilo side". East doesn't really mean much around here. South and North get used as place names occasionally but they aren't really compass directions. This is mostly a round island and those compass directions aren't all that useful.

Generally, for growing things, there are a lot of things to consider. Rainfall is important, elevation is important as well as if the parcel has any soil on it or if it is just lava/cinders. Nobody farms with a tractor in Hawaiian Acres unless they have ripped the cinders with a dozer and created soil using mulch, cinders, etc. etc. Lots of folks growing things but not much machinery to do it with. What can be grown changes according to elevation, as well as rainfall. Some things such as lavender will grow at high altitudes but not thrive at lower ones and some plants grow real well at low elevations and not very well at high ones.

"Subdivisions" in Hawaii may not exactly be like their mainland counterparts. Back in the sixties a few developers bought up huge tracts of land and "sub-divided" them by drawing lines on paper and having someone blaze trails through the jungle and set pins at the corners of the lots. There would be a "road" flattened with a bulldozer across one end of the lots and that is about the extent of the "subdivision" improvements when the lots were first sold. Since then, a lot of folks have moved in and some areas are more improved than others, but there are some that aren't all that improved. The County does not take responsibility for any utilities in these areas, including the roads so they may not exactly be the type of "sub-division" you are used to on the mainland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: