Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:18 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,297,874 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know why this day was passed? I lived in Hawaii for 12 yrs and I never even knew one Muslim. Mormons yes, Buddhists, yes,Shintuism, yes, Christians, Yes, Judism yes. But Muslims? Not one.

What the heck is that all about?

Last edited by JennySquirrel; 05-07-2009 at 08:02 PM..

Old 05-07-2009, 07:31 PM

287 posts, read 1,372,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post
Does anyone know why this day was passed? I lived in Hawaii for 12 yrs and I never even knew one Muslim. Mormons yes, Buddhists, yes, Christians, Yes, Judism people, yes. But Muslims? Not one.

What the heck is that all about?
Why do you have to know one for it to be ok....I know at leat 7 Muslims in my area...bye the way it not call Judism people...they are called Jews or Jewish people (it's also spelled Judaism Not Judism)!

Old 05-07-2009, 07:40 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,573,335 times
Muslim day was passed only after being insisted upon by Sheik Ali ke Kukae out in Kaneohe. Never mind that he is a resident of the state out in Kaneohe, if you know what I mean, but his major complaint was the current passage of, not only a special day, but an entire week, dedicated solely to the Seven Day Spamunists, a quasi religious group which insists that all members set aside a period of time every day of the week, so that a ritualistic preperation and consumption of Spam can be observed. (Needless to say, Turkey Spam, and Spam lite, are no no's!!!!) They gather, on occaision, at the Great House of Spam, a structure which is built entirely out of 48 oz cans of Spam, none of which have been opened. It is rumored that the Great House of Spam is to be the final place of refuge for the Seven Day Spamunists, if, and when, the Final Days arrive. The Great House of Spam will then be dismantled, and devoured, until all the Big Kahunas, the 48 oz. cans of Spam, are emptied. It is for this reason that all Seven Day Spamunists wear a gold plated Spam key around their necks, because all of the Big Kahuna Cans of Spam which comprise the construction of the Great House of Spam have been de-keyed. Many of the SDS members believe that the recent outbreak of Swine Flu is a bad omen, and could be a possble sign of the beginning of the end, even though Piggy Hormel, of Gary, Indiana, ( a religious site of immeasurable importance to the SDS members, it must be visited at least once in a members lifetime!!!) has insisted that all is well. Piggy Hormel, perhaps unknowingly, is the SDS's spiritual leader,,,,,anyways, this is, more or less, how Muslim day came about, the usual case of envy and jealousy, we'll get into Gecko Day some other time,,,,,

Aloha,,,,,, EH!!!!!!!!!!! COULD HAPPEN!!!!!! aloha and okolemaluna

Old 05-07-2009, 08:10 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
I didn't know that there was a muslim day either, and I too find it amusing. I can't think of a single muslim on the island........

Old 05-07-2009, 08:19 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,014 times
To help put this in context, I'm quoting Bob Orts from a local forum:

"This was a RESOLUTION. Hawaii passes many RESOLUTIONS each year.

These RESOLUTIONS are when you see things like:
Taro Recognition Day
Hawaii 2009 Noncommissioned Officers Year
Child Abuse Awareness Month
Maui kiss a gecko day
Bike-to-Work Week
Hilo Tsunami Memorial Day
Prevent Domestic Violence Week
Kona Coffee Day

RESOLUTIONS are just a recognition of something they feel is nice to have some acknowledgement for a day, week, month or year. It forces nobody to do anything. You can get your state rep to introduce a resolution for HPP Formation Day, or Green Harvest Liberation Week, or something a bit more community and public service as "Don't Commit a Crime In Puna Today" Day all you need to do is ASK for a resolution."

Old 05-07-2009, 08:26 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,297,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynmkolohe View Post
To help put this in context, I'm quoting Bob Orts from a local forum:

"This was a RESOLUTION. Hawaii passes many RESOLUTIONS each year.

These RESOLUTIONS are when you see things like:
Taro Recognition Day
Hawaii 2009 Noncommissioned Officers Year
Child Abuse Awareness Month
Maui kiss a gecko day
Bike-to-Work Week
Hilo Tsunami Memorial Day
Prevent Domestic Violence Week
Kona Coffee Day

RESOLUTIONS are just a recognition of something they feel is nice to have some acknowledgement for a day, week, month or year. It forces nobody to do anything. You can get your state rep to introduce a resolution for HPP Formation Day, or Green Harvest Liberation Week, or something a bit more community and public service as "Don't Commit a Crime In Puna Today" Day all you need to do is ASK for a resolution."
Well, all the above have something to do with Hawaii. What does Muslim day have to do with Hawaii or its' people? I just find it very odd and wonder about the politics behind this one.

BTW I see you are on the Big Island. I used to own a few condo's at the Kona Reef that I rented out to tourists. I sold them after Sept. 11th because if you recall, tourism came to a screeching hault after a bunch of Muslim Terrorists crashed into the WTC. Hawaii took a major hit with Sept. 11th.

Still don't get the reason they are honoring Muslims, Hmmm?

Old 05-07-2009, 08:38 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,350 times
well, it's the fastest growing religion in America and the second largest one in the world. I guess that probably has something to do with it. Don't like it? Don't worry about it, no one is forcing you to celebrate.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennySquirrel View Post

BTW I see you are on the Big Island. I used to own a few condo's at the Kona Reef that I rented out to tourists. I sold them after Sept. 11th because if you recall, tourism came to a screeching hault after a bunch of Muslim Terrorists crashed into the WTC. Hawaii took a major hit with Sept. 11th.

Still don't get the reason they are honoring Muslims, Hmmm?
Are you for real...lets just label billions and billions of people who have nothing to do with acts of a few, as Terrorists.......ALOHA! or better still heee haawww!

Last edited by VanHa; 05-07-2009 at 09:05 PM..

Old 05-07-2009, 09:26 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
Jenny, for what it's worth, what do you think a Muslim looks like?

There are Islamic Centers on Hawaii so there does appear to be Muslims.

Do not assume the actions of some represents the beliefs of all. Hawaii should be proud of this but I'm sure the mainland transplants are pulling out their racist baggage right about now.

(cymnkolohe, where did you find that piece, I searched city data and turned up nothing????)

Old 05-07-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Jenny, for what it's worth, what do you think a Muslim looks like?

There are Islamic Centers on Hawaii so there does appear to be Muslims.

Do not assume the actions of some represents the beliefs of all. Hawaii should be proud of this but I'm sure the mainland transplants are pulling out their racist baggage right about now.

(cymnkolohe, where did you find that piece, I searched city data and turned up nothing????)
I couldn't have said it better Pacific! I am sure every bigot's, Islamaphobe's....keyboard is overheating right now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: