Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 09:55 AM

99 posts, read 466,907 times

Advertisements

I lived in Honolulu Hawaii and loved alot of it. Here is what I didn't like:

1. Being too far away from family on the mainland
2. The way whites are treated (I"m not white)
3. The traffic is unbearable in Honolulu in certain areas by certain people
4. The unhealthy vog

Here is what I loved:

1. The people who were laid back and still practiced the aloha spirit
2. The mild climate
3. The free access to all beaches

If you are in the military, like we were, it's not as bad. If you're a tourist, you'll love it. If you're rich, you can have te time of your life. Everyone else may have to struggle to live there as a newbie.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:06 PM

287 posts, read 1,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-sol View Post

The number one push factor from Hawaii is PRICE. To quote Gordon Gekko, "it's all about bucks, kid."
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCasey View Post
I don't know how else to word it, I even talk & skype with them often. I am not going anywhere any time real soon, but if the day comes that I leave, I believe that would be the reason.
The above two quotes are the two primary reasons that I think why people go back. If you can not afford to live or have the means to have a livable situation and / or feel lonely even though you are in a big city....you will go back! Now, there maybe other consideration, like medical issues, education etc...I think that those are secondary reasons why people leave....

Old 07-10-2009, 05:55 PM
chs

31 posts, read 122,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
This is an important consideration that when people choose to move to the islands. The medical care is not nearly what people who live on the mainland are used to. Although you may just require basic medical care, you never know. My spouse, who has never been sick a day in his life, had a pain in his back and it turned out to be cancer. Luckily it wasn't the time of the year we usually spend on the islands.
I'll tell you, this is a very physician unfriendly place. Everyone cries about how the docs are deserting, but hospitals here are so physician unfriendly that even docs who want to stay here and are willing to make literally half what their colleagues make in much lower cost of living areas like WA, WY, TX are driven out by the crazy politics, turf wars, reimbursement battles and general lack of support. As another poster put it, live somewhere else and vacation here. If you are doc, better to vacation here 2-4x/year in luxury and work making good money in a no state tax state for a hospital where they actually value your skills and committment to the community.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:19 PM

21 posts, read 62,657 times
My husband and I have visited Maui 3 times now. The first 2 times we couldn't imagine why anyone would want to live there in the middle of the ocean. Now that the kids are grown and gone after this last trip we are going to pay off all debt, sell our house and stuff(hopefully next 6-12 months). Then make the move. We live in ND so with winters 6 months long at our age we are tired of having only 3 months of good weather. It was just in the 50's and its July!!! We maybe twice a yr travel farther than 60 miles so realize that there might be island fever but since we have friends that live 5 mins away and don't see them. Plus work within 5 mins of home ...that might not be a issue. Problem is going to be our leaving our grandson here & getting 2 dogs over there. Only things that might make us not go. Our house payment is $1300 and for $1500 can live in a condo there. They talk about $5 milk but groceries are about 15% more than here, gas is the same price. Utilities..well won't cost $300 a mo. to heat a house there!!! Our jobs here pay $13-$18 a hr so don't think we will take a huge pay cut. I think living where weather is beautiful year round will be heaven(was a transplant from San Diego to Fargo ND when I was 18)

Old 07-11-2009, 06:28 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivorqt View Post
i live on oahu and get milk for 4 dollars
Obama came here this past christmas for 2 weeks
i agree about the school system, lol

Yes he did come back for short and extememly expensive vacation. I believe he rented a beach house to the tune of about $3000 per week. No matter where a president goes of course, the accomodations are going to be lavish and pricey due to security concerns mostly. They deserve some privacy and relaxation too.

Just to put a little perspective on Obama, he also led a rather priviledged life here, attending Punahou, a high priced private school. His life here was certainly not what most Hawaii citizens (and certainly not native Hawaiians) experience. And, like so many others, he went to the mainland in order to have the life he wanted which was not possible here.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:58 PM

91 posts, read 248,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Just to put a little perspective on Obama, he also led a rather priviledged life here, attending Punahou, a high priced private school. His life here was certainly not what most Hawaii citizens (and certainly not native Hawaiians) experience. And, like so many others, he went to the mainland in order to have the life he wanted which was not possible here.
That sums it up perfectly!

Old 07-12-2009, 02:24 PM

287 posts, read 1,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats307 View Post
We maybe twice a yr travel farther than 60 miles so realize that there might be island fever but since we have friends that live 5 mins away and don't see them.
People ofter talk about feeling alone in the middle of the ocean...but it's interesting how you can live in a big city of 3 million like NYC but still feel alone...

Old 07-12-2009, 03:21 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
I was chatting with a friend yesterday who said he has never driven all the way around the island. He didn't want to realize how small it was by circling it in one day. Apparently, he made the mistake of doing that on Oahu and got creeped out on how small it was there.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:35 AM

15 posts, read 41,821 times
they move here because it is not like the mainland,... and move away for the same reason! It isn't easy transplating yourself into a totally different place.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:02 AM

28 posts, read 126,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapaki View Post
they move here because it is not like the mainland,... and move away for the same reason! It isn't easy transplating yourself into a totally different place.
My sister did that, sold their mobile home, car, belongings and got a whole whooping $4000.00, and flew there with her boyfriend and son. He is Hawaiin by name, but never lived there. Has long lost family. I agree that trying to transplant and be someone you're not is going tough. Especially when the small amount of money runs out, and jobs are hard to find with no skills or driver license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii