Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:26 PM

682 posts, read 2,793,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by transambulance View Post
One bit of advice I didn't get from these forums but learned pretty fast was this: DO NOT JAYWALK. Cops will actually circle the block to ticket a person who crosses against traffic lights, and it's a pretty steep fine, so just chill out and wait, even if there are no cars coming.
They only do this in places where it's really dangerous to jaywalk. The notorious places are Waikiki, near UH, and in Chinatown. In fact, if you get off TheBus in Chinatown, the announcement reminds you not to jaywalk. (But that announcement doesn't play at other stops!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 02:28 PM

432 posts, read 1,202,324 times
Congratulations to the op on success!

I'd still like to comment on some of the prior posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Sounds like you are trying to plan well. Bring at least 6 months' worth of living expenses with you
I'd say that's low by 50%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetgo View Post
...if for some unfortunate reason you should go homeless then where better would be going homeless be than in Hawaii.
I would very much disagree. The social service safety nets here, particularly on the neighbor islands, are not terribly good. I know of people who are eating every other day and 1 or 2 meals a day at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lithdawg View Post
Good luck to you guys. I have lived here since May 2009 myself and have had honestly, a terrible time to find employment. I am in healthcare (nurse 14 yrs, degree in physical therapy, and for office management....a BS in Business Administration). Everyone loves my qualifications/experience, but no one seems to want to hire. It's been stated from potential employers that THEY don't think they can pay me what i'm worth and if they paid me less, THEY don't think I will stay with them. Also noticed that I get they "why did you move to Hawaii". Seems employers have been burned with hiring recently relocated mainlanders. They of course want longevity out of their new hires. I also have family living on the island and express that during my interviews. I actually had a physician ask me if I could give her a reason why I would make a long term commitment to Hawaii. I have no plans on moving for a long while but how are you suppose to get someone peace of mind that you just met 30mins ago. It has been tough. Also, not sure if you have looked at the salary for your specific jobs. I researched the payscale on Indeed and Salary wizard. What I found was true, Hawaii pays 20-23% LESS than the mainland. So I wasn't shocked about the compensation when I got here. Actually one recruiter told me it was "the price of paradise". This is just MY experience. I'm sure others have had not as much problems. Good luck guys!
Every word of this post should be committed to heart by those thinking of moving here and that it will be easy to get a job and all will fall into place.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:32 AM

53 posts, read 228,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Bring at least 6 months' worth of living expenses with you so that you do not become eel and centipede bait!
When I first returned to Oahu in late 2003 (after being away almost 10-years), I remained unemployed here for TWENTY-THREE (23) consecutive months (!!!) before FINALLY landing a job in my chosen profession, which typically requires advanced degrees, and I was paid 53% LESS (!!!) than the job that I had held immediately prior on the U.S. Mainland in the very same occupation. Further, the Honolulu Advertiser recently reported that the current job-seeking time on Oahu (i.e., the time required for the average applicant to secure employment) is up by 100% (doubled) from this same time last year (when it was 11-weeks) to a period of 22-weeks on average.

Brings LOTS of money! You'll need it.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,360 times
Smile Congratulations!

I also want to move to Hawaii this year. I have been reading several posts and appreciate the positive experiences individuals have shared.

I would like to try the Island of Maui. I have never been to the Hawaiian Islands but I have always wanted to go since living in Alaska for 20 years, where the cost of living is higher or about the same.

I am a single parent of 3 and have a 15 year-old son who is my youngest. My oldest is 19 living in Idaho, and my 17 year-old is on the path of joining the Navy who will in the meantime move with us to Maui.

I have a BA degree and a Paralegal certificate on my resume. I know that having these papers does not guarentee anything, but I do believe ones determination and desire is the road to success and survival.

Good luck to you both!

Old 07-26-2009, 03:48 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,588,653 times
My best advice to you would be to visit first go on a long vacation dont stay in a resort stay in a rental and shop and act like you live there to get a feel for it.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:57 PM

432 posts, read 1,202,324 times
Sunciary, you've gotten two different perspectives here.

I'll leave it at that, except to say that it's difficult for any teenager to move to a new school, but that difficulty is short-lived. It's no different in Hawai`i. Unless the teenager or his parent(s) already have anger issues of some sort, or a chip on the shoulder, there won't be much other than the usual "teenage" stuff that would happen if you were moving anywhere. Any teenager would do well to learn not to begin sentences with "Well, the way we did it on the mainland was...." but that's just common sense!

Our teenager had a tough transition for a couple of months, but no different from the usual "stuff" any teenager would have anywhere, but then found several niches and ended up being a co-valedictorian.

So, e komo mai and good luck!

Old 07-26-2009, 07:54 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
thanks for posting post-move. So many people on the forum ask for advise and then we never hear from them again. Really glad to hear that you both got jobs so now you can focus on finding a better place to live. Can't imagine two people in 200 square feet and no kitchen!

We are heading over to the big event on the Big Island -- the opening of the new Target Store. Well, it opened last week, but this is our first trip to see it. Heard it's great (SOOOOO much better than Wal-Mart).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: