Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:08 PM

11 posts, read 40,503 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving out with about 8 months' worth of living expenses next January or February. Hoping, of course, that the employment scene's lookin' a little more up by that time. I'm helped, I'm sure, that my needs are simple and I'm willing to do just about any kind of work that pays, and I've got a good-looking resumé.

I figure I've gotta get out of Utah some time soon. Hawai'i's calling my name. I don't have a company I can transfer with. And from what I can tell, it ain't that much worse in Hawai'i than California, which is the only other place that really looks any good to me right now. Is Hawai'i that much worse than everywhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 09:06 PM

7 posts, read 20,746 times
I moved out here with not much more than a backpack and some money to get me through a couple months, got a job immediately, and still am here and happy. Anyone properly motivated and willing to cut back on lifestyle can live here, don't let fear be the only thing stopping you, just make sure you do have an emergency "out" or money in case its not what you want. My 2cents.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:23 AM

312 posts, read 1,369,008 times
i've always seen that unless you are a nurse or a teacher it will probably be hard for you to get a job before you move here, relatively speaking. most place don't want to hire people who are still located 4,000 miles away, they want to see you here in person first, therefore, i really don't think it's that crazy of a move to do, not incredibly unheard of or strange at all. i think it's what a lot of people do that don't have a very select specialty-which is A LOT of people. go for it!

Old 07-03-2009, 04:55 AM

432 posts, read 1,197,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
In general, moving to HI without a hard job in hand is ill advised. The local economy is under stress, non-residents/newbies are at the bottom of the hire lists and life without local connections can be very difficult.
Pay lots of attention to that last one. Mainlanders tend not to realize that -- particularly on the neighbor islands -- Hawai`i is a very culturally conservative and extended-family-focused place. And locals will be reticent to want to get close to you until you've been here a year -- they've been burned too many times by getting close to folks who packed up and left after the realities of Hawai`i life set in.

All of this does indeed mean that local connections will be difficult.

Quote:
If you do make the move, plan on a minimum of 6-10 months living expenses in hand (or more).
I think that might have been true a year ago, but now I'd say to plan on a minimum of 8 to 14 months living expenses.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:02 AM

12 posts, read 52,151 times
i applyed 4 a state job in my field of work waitn 4 a reply back

Old 07-06-2009, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,129 times
Life is an adventure. Why not? You're young and unencumbered with responsibilities.... move out, experience the world. Money can always be earned, jobs can be found if you are willing to work. But years pass, life passes and the years don't come back. If it is something you really want, go for it! Why wait til you're 70 and say, if only if....

Old 07-09-2009, 11:03 PM

5 posts, read 50,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1257 View Post
I moved out here with not much more than a backpack and some money to get me through a couple months, got a job immediately, and still am here and happy. Anyone properly motivated and willing to cut back on lifestyle can live here, don't let fear be the only thing stopping you, just make sure you do have an emergency "out" or money in case its not what you want. My 2cents.
I'm considering doing the same thing.

Can I ask what kind of job you got (just generically speaking)?

I'm a salesperson. I sell townhomes for a builder in Houston, Texas but I'd be willing to do almost anything in Hawaii for enough money for cheap housing and food.

What's the service industry like? Are there jobs for white guys tending bar for instance?

Thanks.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:05 AM

6 posts, read 25,243 times
I've been wanting to do the same exact thing. I'm tired of the Wyoming winters; if I can get out of here just for a few months, it'd be great. But I am also worried about going it alone with no job or place to stay.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:12 PM

312 posts, read 1,369,008 times
for those concerned about a place to stay, i think there is affordable housing on every island. when i moved to the big island, i stayed at the manago hotel for around $30 a night, i paid for one month in advance and paid $750 total. i found a job and a place to live within a week, so they refunded my money for all but the one week i stayed for. other than cheap, interesting hotels, there are always hostels and couch surfing. it can always be done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii