Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 06:27 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,192 times

Advertisements

Mae1, i think what you said is highly insulting, so let me make sure i've got this right. someone can take the sand and rocks they want because they are buying things with money in the islands? does no one else realize how rediculous that sounds? it doesn't matter who you are. islander, haole, african, chinese, just because you are spending money there doesn't allow you to do what you want. so can i go beat someone up as long as i pay them well afterwards?
as for the questionability of sand on a beach being plentiful, yes, you are right. there is no question. because it's not an infinate, renewable resource, ESSPECIALLY in Hawai'i. my point is that no matter your religion, the fact that removing all the birds, sand, rocks, plants from an area is detrimental to all faiths, all people, all lands. People go to Hawai'i and spend their money and keep the economy going because Hawai'i is a natural place of beauty and nature. If that is all hauled away in peoples purses, bags or destroyed due to carelessness, no one will give two hoots about Hawai'i.
I always see people going to remote places to camp. they go there for the silence, to be removed and be in nature and enjoy the beauty-there is no other reason, that's what it boils down to. So, i see people throw their lunchmeat wrappers, cans or butts down. what is the point of this? Is this okay to do because they spend their money to eat at a resturaunt later that same day? completely bogus.
yes, it's easy to think that one rock or small bit of sand for one person is acceptable. the problem is that EVERYONE or at least a large amount of people also think this. At some point for some beaches and locations, this is a huge amount. It's about looking at the big picture and deciding why you really think you need this rock. what is this rock going to do for you? why is it so important for you to have it? isn't it worth leaving to preserve the place most people came such a long distance to visit? not a cheap visit at that.
i think it's a very selfish way of looking at things, determining that you're, useless, reasonless need to take part of the land is more important than the place you are a guest at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,691 times
Oh please, You can walk in Hawaii and see millions of stands selling "Sand in a bottle necklaces, painted sea shells, etc.". And these are made from the natives! So before you judge others why not give back to your island instead of mocking those who want a piece of it...your people do it everyday!

Old 12-14-2010, 12:17 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,217 times
Now that's a slow comeback! 1 year later.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:52 PM

285 posts, read 1,082,896 times
and I'll keep it going too. Those trinkets are most likely made in another country. Not by the "natives"

Old 12-15-2010, 11:59 AM

312 posts, read 1,374,192 times
MissHula, your reply makes me think you read none of the earlier replies. To repeat it again, natives, hawaiians, locals are not excluded. I never said anything to say they are and that their actions are acceptable just because they are local. In fact the reply directly above your post talks about that. Other countries don't get a free pass in my opinion either. The location/residency of the person doing it really has nothing to do with the topic. I also find it slightly humorous that you commented that i'm "Judging others" when undoubetly you hadn't even read everything and judged what I was saying just because you may be lazy. And another judgment? "My People". what the heck does that mean? what are my people? I see you've made some judgment as far as who i am and where i'm from, which i can guarentee you that you are very mistaken. Your people should read threads before you post lazy personal attacks on them.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:41 PM

10 posts, read 27,951 times
If I remember correctly, Hotels paid big bucks to have sand shipped in for their beaches too, so alot of this sand isn't from here originally. Sure seems strange to me, that someone would want to take sand home with them. Very curious behaviour.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:39 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHula View Post
Oh please, You can walk in Hawaii and see millions of stands selling "Sand in a bottle necklaces, painted sea shells, etc.". And these are made from the natives! So before you judge others why not give back to your island instead of mocking those who want a piece of it...your people do it everyday!
I actually can't remember ever seeing sand bottle necklaces, but if I did...I would assume they are from China...since every cheap, touristy thing in HI is.

Its really the same thing you see in every National park.....take only what you bring in....leave only your footprints. No one wants to see "your" intials carved into a tree or spray painted on a rock.

Same with taking lava or sand. Yes it will be replaced, but it might take literally millions of years!

Google the parrot fish.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:38 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHula View Post
That doesn't make it right, and that point has been emphasized in this post.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:21 AM

160 posts, read 485,917 times
Seriously??? I have a shopvac that is filled with black and green and other sand because its UNBELIEVABLE what my 3 kids carry home in their ass cracks!!! Should i take my shopvac and dump it back on the beach, and which one since I have mixed sand????? Put it back in the ocean and let Neptune sort it out or what?

Old 12-16-2010, 01:40 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badatta2de View Post
Seriously??? I have a shopvac that is filled with black and green and other sand because its UNBELIEVABLE what my 3 kids carry home in their ass cracks!!! Should i take my shopvac and dump it back on the beach, and which one since I have mixed sand????? Put it back in the ocean and let Neptune sort it out or what?
Are you intentionally confusing sand clinging to bodies with people loading up gallon ziplocks? It's not the same question and you know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii