Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:38 AM

77 posts, read 212,259 times

Advertisements

I'll have to shake my kids down every time we leave the outdoors - they're little rock thieves. I sure as heck don't need any bad luck - the first time I went to Hawaii I wanted to pick the lava rock up to look at it (I was into geology in college so I was obsessed with it) but at the time I couldn't remember whether it was just picking it up or taking it that gave you the bad luck. Now I'll really take a good look at it, but hopefully I won't end up with bits of it in/under my girls' beds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 11:20 AM

16 posts, read 51,793 times
Default dang nabbed tourists! (and some mindless locals too)

I live in the Rocky Mountain area, and every time I go camping I see Boulders with junk spray painted on them, beer bottles on the ground, etc. It is truly maddening the lack of respect that people have. Even if you're not a spiritual person - you'd think it's just plain common sense to not leave a place trashed! They take rocks and wildflowers here too, and disregard the signs that tell you to not step past the sign because of conservation efforts. It's just sick.I don't get the idea of collecting knick knacks, but I have to concur with everyone who said, if you visit colorado, hawaii, wherever....... if you want a memory, take lots of pics and make a collage or something.
A friend of mine went to Honolulu a few years ago, and I gave her a hard time because she took a bunch of sand and lava rocks. Her response? "oh well its no big deal, people who live there see it every day, but since I don't it's more special to me"

Old 04-12-2011, 10:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,012 times
Thanks for your post. I agree with you on all points. I found your post looking for Black Sand to buy for my soapmaking. I'll be looking for plan B now (as in "I won't be using sand from HI").

Old 04-13-2011, 01:12 PM

312 posts, read 1,369,080 times
thanks molly

Old 04-19-2011, 04:33 AM

46 posts, read 110,393 times
What an interesting discussion! When I was visiting the islands I actually took a decent sized lava rock from the Volcano NP along with some shells and coral that I found on Kauai's Kauapea Beach. At the time, I had actually read in the guidebook I had that it wasn't really cool to do that, but I did anyway. When I got home I thought back to that guidebook and my experience realized that what I did was wrong. So on my return trip in a few months, I actually plan on bringing them back to the exact places where I found them. They're not really things that I need to keep for myself. I'm all for leaving no trace except my footprints.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:51 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,272,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAMIs View Post
When I was visiting the islands I actually took a decent sized lava rock from the Volcano NP along with some shells and coral that I found on Kauai's Kauapea Beach. At the time, I had actually read in the guidebook I had that it wasn't really cool to do that, but I did anyway.
More than just being uncool, as practiced by the average tourist, it's illegal. There ARE signs to that effect in the National Parks, and at key locations, like the black sand beach at Punalu'u. I wonder if anyone pays attention to them?

Old 04-19-2011, 10:46 AM

312 posts, read 1,369,080 times
DavidAMIs, I would be very thankful if you brought those rocks back, its a large action that says a ton!

OpenD: Big Island is esspecially big on having signs saying 'don't take our stuff' in whatever words. I love it. I wish it was more common throughout the other islands. I often wonder myself what the through process is when someone reads that, then takes the sand/rocks/plants anyways...

Old 04-19-2011, 04:24 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,587,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactastica View Post
DavidAMIs, I would be very thankful if you brought those rocks back, its a large action that says a ton!

OpenD: Big Island is esspecially big on having signs saying 'don't take our stuff' in whatever words. I love it. I wish it was more common throughout the other islands. I often wonder myself what the through process is when someone reads that, then takes the sand/rocks/plants anyways...
There is a fair percentage of people who believe lines and signs and restrictions are for the "other people" and they are exempt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii