U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-14-2009, 10:56 AM

103 posts, read 202,792 times
Question Canec Ceiling Tiles?? Safe or not?

Aloha:

We are in the process of purchasing a home that has CANEC ceiling tiles 12"X12" and a few of the tiles fell down. Not by water damage just the staples came loose.

What exacetly is Canec? The little bit of what I can find on the internet says they were made with sugar cane and they may contain arsinec (spelling?). Does anyone know anything else about these types of ceiling tiles? Could they also contain abestos?

When the house was built and they obtained the permits 1971 - it just states Celing Canec. Not even sure it it is the original tiles or not.

Is it safe for us to go ahead and tack them back up if they are still in good condition?

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-14-2009, 11:16 AM

1,234 posts, read 2,607,392 times
Aloha,

I did a quick search for you and found these 2 things first is 3 links 2nd is a person on a dif forum answering the same question you asked. I hope this helps I would worrie to.

Asbestos Products - Asbestos Resource Center

http://www.ehow.com/how_115388_repla...d-ceiling.html

Oklahoma State University Physical Plant - THIS PAGE NO LONGER AVAILABLE

I'm not familiar with any "acoustic" ceiling tile (acoustic meaning "approximately 12" x 12", which is what they were called in the industry), manufactured prior to 1979 that did not have asbestos in it. The two keys for your situation are (1) acoustic ceiling tile and (2) in an old house. How they were attached is not a key point. The picture you posted in #10 looks like common acoustic ceiling tiles that were used heavily in the late 1950s through the mid-1970s, possibly all the way up to 1979. They actually look like the commercial type that were used in hardware and appliance stores like Kingsville Hardware and the Kingsville Ben Franklin Five & Dime store in Kingsville, Texas, when I was growing up.

Unread 06-14-2009, 11:19 AM

8,964 posts, read 5,709,106 times
if it isn't safe to tack them back up and you don't want to touch them, or worried they will emit something bad, I would be uncomfortable to live there too if that's the case. what did the building inspector say, did you have an inspector? maybe call a few contractors to see if anyone knows what the stuff is....maybe it is just decrotive and no need to worry? sorry I haven't a clue

Unread 06-14-2009, 11:39 AM

We did have a full house inspection done. All came out satisfactory or fair. But he did make a note that some ceiling tiles may contain asbestos. Since house inspectors are not certified to say one way or another he could not state. Just made a note some tiles may contain.

There is only about 10 tiles that need to be put back up I guess will wear the mask and gloves just to be on the safe side. Since we will be touching them - once back in place they should not posess any hazzard unless they get damaged or start falling apart. Until we can have the whole ceiling done some other way!

Guess not really sure what CANEC it.. I think its made with sugar cane or something and was popular at one time in construction in Hawaii.

Last edited by 1freespirit; 06-14-2009 at 11:51 AM..

Unread 06-14-2009, 11:49 AM

I dont know the Hawaii real estate laws yet but I would ask my agent to have the owner test the tiles or the deal is off. The cost of removal is very high. just my opinion.

Unread 06-14-2009, 12:11 PM

5,216 posts, read 8,047,773 times
Canec tiles are fine as long as you don't eat them. They were made with sugar cane bagasse back in around the 50's. They make a nice light ceiling tile which if it stays dry is a nice sound absorbing ceiling as well as a nice light weight ceiling. They do sort of flake apart if they get wet, though so keep them dry. They have some arsenic in them, but not asbestos, as far as I know.

Here's a link to a Toxicologist's answer about canec: StarBulletin.com | News | /2006/02/08/

Unread 06-14-2009, 01:44 PM

Thank you Hotxcatz - thats what I have found about Canec tiles. Not to worried about the small area of ceiling tiles and we most certainly do not plan on eating it. Plus they did a addition in 1980 so I am assuming the ceiling was also replaced then as it looks newer then to be from 1971 and it matches exacetly to the addtions ceiling. Abestos was not used anymore in 1980. Hopefully the whole ceiilng was replaced then.

What I have been reading on Asbestos - EVERYONE born prior to 1975 has been exposed atleast one time or another in their life and more then likely grew up in a home that was built with Asbestos in the building as that is what alot of the ceiling, tiles, flooring, and so other parts of home consturct. etc were made out of. Even some everyday household items were made with absestos. Boy the intenet is such a wonderful library of information.

Just to be safe though we will wear gloves and a mask. The house is a foreclosure so of course the bank could care less as your buying "As IS".

Thank you all so much - I LOVE this forum!

Last edited by 1freespirit; 06-14-2009 at 01:54 PM..

Unread 06-14-2009, 03:57 PM

Nice info Catz! I will log this info into my memory banks when Im looking to buy my house next year.

Unread 06-14-2009, 06:51 PM

1,127 posts, read 3,582,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Canec tiles are fine as long as you don't eat them. They were made with sugar cane bagasse back in around the 50's. They make a nice light ceiling tile which if it stays dry is a nice sound absorbing ceiling as well as a nice light weight ceiling. They do sort of flake apart if they get wet, though so keep them dry. They have some arsenic in them, but not asbestos, as far as I know.

Here's a link to a Toxicologist's answer about canec: StarBulletin.com | News | /2006/02/08/
When we first moved back to Oahu about twenty years ago, we spent every Sunday afternoon going to whatever "open house" was in our neighborhood in Kailua. I remember seeing MANY homes in the older areas of Kailua that had, and still have, canec ceilings. I would bet that the amount of arsenic is very small, and if I had a house with such ceilings, I would just leave them alone. If I had to replace them, I would probably handle them like drywall - as in: don't break them up into small pieces and powder, and if you accidentally do, don't breathe the powder.

On the subject of asbestos:

I spent 31 years in the Navy, ending in the 80's, and until the 60's all the equipment in the enigine rooms of Navy ships was insulated with asbestos. I know of no one of my contemporaries who has had any medical conditions caused by being around asbestos insulation.

Those are the operators of the ships, who work around INTACT insulation. I do know that some shipyard workers, who removed the insulation during overhauls, were at risk. Again, I know of no one personally who was affected, and I knew lots of people in shipyards.

Hank

Unread 01-27-2014, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 635 times
Default caned safe unless falling apart

If you check out the State of Hawaii Dept of health web site. They state that canec is safe,although it contains arsenic, unless it is in a state of deterioration. I have lived in homes with canec ceilings over the years and have had no ill effects from it. It does not , according to the DOH contain asbestos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii