Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:23 PM

179 posts, read 536,855 times

Advertisements

ALOHA :-)
we were wondering which island/area would be best to travel to for vacation in November 26-Dec 5th. We'd like to stay in 1 island...

we are 28, adventurous we care about:

-hiking
-snorkling
-beach
-least amount of rain

please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 01:27 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
rain here is different than on the mainland. kauai might be the best for hiking, beauty. but maui hana side is excellent for that as well. all islands have great beaches. each island a bit different. tripadvisor.com has a forum and lots of info on all the islands. you will have a great time no matter which one.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:21 PM

THANK YOU :-)
my definition of nice beach is clear blue water, white sand, no rocks in the beach (only sand inside the water).

Does Kauai have this?

Old 06-21-2009, 06:38 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatetruth View Post
my definition of nice beach is clear blue water, white sand, no rocks in the beach (only sand inside the water).

Does Kauai have this?
Yes Kauai has those qualities. The Poipu area tends to be more sunny than Princeville, which can get quite a bit of rain. Hana in Maui also meets your criteria. I found beaches on the BI very limited.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:56 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
rain here is different than on the mainland. kauai might be the best for hiking, beauty. but maui hana side is excellent for that as well. all islands have great beaches. each island a bit different. tripadvisor.com has a forum and lots of info on all the islands. you will have a great time no matter which one.
I agree about the beauty of the beaches and hiking in/around Hana, but Hana also gets a lot more rain than most of the rest of Maui. I respectfully suggest that any number of places in South Maui or West Maui meet the general criteria for hiking, snorkeling, and great beaches with a lot less rain.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimatetruth View Post

Does Kauai have this?
oh yes, as does maui oahu and big island too

Old 06-21-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
I agree about the beauty of the beaches and hiking in/around Hana, but Hana also gets a lot more rain than most of the rest of Maui. I respectfully suggest that any number of places in South Maui or West Maui meet the general criteria for hiking, snorkeling, and great beaches with a lot less rain.
true hana side does get more rain but most of the good hiking I think is on that side isn't it. south maui and the west side has the best beaches for sure. (IMO )

Old 06-22-2009, 07:58 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
true hana side does get more rain but most of the good hiking I think is on that side isn't it. south maui and the west side has the best beaches for sure. (IMO )
I guess it depends upon what one means by "hiking." A lot of people mean walking in the woods. Some actually mean walking anywhere -- even on, say, the new beach path at Kapalua. In our experience, most of our guests consider the old golf cart paths up at Kapalua (Village Course, which was converted to greenspace a couple of years ago) to be more strenuous than they are up to, even though they are paved.

I love the trails at Haleakala, Polipoli, and Waikamoi, but only a few of our guests have been willing to do those kinds of trails. I need to spend more time hiking Kipahulu side, but I get distracted by the peace of just being in Hana. Seems most hikers expect some kind of drive to a trailhead whether it's a "walk" or a "hike" technically, so I just imagined the OP would use the drives to explore more of the island en route to their hikes.

The reason I mentioned rain in Hana is that the same poster was very interested in the amount of rainfall on Kauai (Princeville v. Poipu) in another thread.

Aloha.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:07 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Kauai was always my favorite.........Just so lush and awesome. All the islands are nice......
I don't like the rocks "inside the water" either. That was a big surprise to me. The rest was wonderful.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Kauai was always my favorite.........Just so lush and awesome. All the islands are nice......
I don't like the rocks "inside the water" either. That was a big surprise to me. The rest was wonderful.
Oh wait! are you saying that there are rocks in the water in Kauai (especialy the Poipu area)?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii