Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 04:14 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,245 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm going nuts trying to make a decision. My husband rarely -- rarely -- wants to go anywhere. This may be it for us for some time to come.

My criteria is: family friendly. Period. I have two six year olds and need a resort that welcomes kids.

On Maui ~ Fairmont Kea Lani Maui Accommodations Maui Resort Vacation Packages Luxury Wailea Villas - Vacations Fairmont Kea Lani
My other choice and I couldn't decide between the two is the Grand Waimea.

On Big Island ~ Mauna Kea Resort Mauna Kea Resort legendary hotels, golf and luxurious homes on Hawaii’s Big Island
I understand it's right on a white sand beach which would be great. I know that the Waikoloa is the best for families, but it's out. Too long of a story to explain why.

On BI, we'll definitely be visiting the volcanoes and checking out the nature, so it sounds like we should have a car. But my boys will also probably like a white sand beach for playing.

Any great spots to eat for kids is extremely appreciated too!

Aloha!

Alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2009, 05:03 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
For kids, you should go to the Hilton Waikoloa. Lots to do for kids. Not sure why it's "out" but it for sure has more for kids than the Fairmont. the Fairmont is my favorite hotel here, because there are usually not so many kids! Beautiful pool. You definitely need a car or you willl have no way to get anywhere!

Old 07-04-2009, 05:06 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
on maui the pool at the grand wailea is way more fun than the fairmont

Old 07-04-2009, 05:15 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
I don't know anything about these places, but I have a possible recommendation. Do you want a place with a kitchen? If so, check this link out.

Condominium Rentals Hawaii: Sugar Beach Resort

I've been there many times. If you get a ground floor unit, the kids can run right out the front door and on to the beach. Snorkling, boogie boarding, pretty much anything you want. Well equipped kitchens and you can watch the ocean while you cook. It's much cheaper and easier to do some of the cooking instead of eating out all the time.
And absolutely, positively, get a package with a car. You NEED one there, believe me.

Old 07-04-2009, 06:09 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,707 times
I live in West Maui and both of these are in Wailea, but we go there often for dinner, so I'll ring in. IMHO the Fairmont Kea Lani and the Grand Wailea don't have too much in common other than being in Wailea. Each has a very distinct personality.

The Fairmont is a four- or five-star resort, similar to a Four Seasons -- it's not "formal," but it has a very understated, high quality level of service, and is one of three resorts on Conde Nast Traveler's Gold List for 2009. (The other two are the Four Seasons and Hotel Hana Maui.) The Fairmont has 450 rooms, including some very nice villas on the beach. It's at the south end of the Wailea beachwalk in a fairly secluded area.

The Grand Wailea just finished a $50 million renovation. It has 780 rooms and is more centrally located on the Wailea beachwalk, near the shopping center. (This location is a plus if you plan to shop a lot or a minus if you want a more private resort area.) I have worked extensively in marketing large shopping malls and airports in the past, so I am fairly adept at observing a property's "personality," age, maintenance level, etc. When I go to the Grand Wailea, I feel shades of "Las Vegas" and/or "Disney." It is very nice and organized, and it feels like a big, busy place. It has sort of "theme-y" restaurants: a traditional Japanese one and one in an artificial lagoon. (I think the Japanese restaurant may have closed again recently.) There is a wedding chapel on the grounds. It has beautiful gardens and a tiled cascading pool that is either spectacular or garish -- or a little of both -- when lit up at night.

Both resorts are popular with families. I'd say the food is good (but not outstanding) at both -- and there are plenty of options in Wailea and Kihei. Both are on very nice beaches and have elaborate pool complexes. It really comes down to what kind of place you'd prefer and/or be more comfortable in. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask or DM me. Sorry, I have not stayed at either property so I cannot tell you specifics about rooms, etc.

Best of luck.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:51 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
If you go to reserve a room at the Mauna Kea Resort, you will notice this message:

*Number of persons per room: maximum of 2 adults
and 1 child (age 17 and under) or 3 adults

I would say "Not kid friendly". The entire web site is based around their golfing and spa.

The Hilton (and a couple of other hotels near it) operate a free shuttle service to take you to a nice, uncrowded beach just to the West of the Hilton. The shuttle ride is about 2 minutes long

Old 07-05-2009, 03:35 PM

Thank you Everyone!

Okay, I've changed now to the Grand Wailea on Maui and the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel on the BI.

Does the Hapuna sound like a good choice?

Alley

Old 07-05-2009, 05:12 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,707 times
Really close friends of ours who stayed on Maui (when we were not there to host them in 2001) also stayed at the Hapuna Prince on the Big Island. They really enjoyed it, and said they'd stay there again. I think -- among the golf/spa resorts there -- that the Prince is rather low-key. (Not unlike the one on Maui.) These friends are quite "picky," so I would consider this a good family/value recommendation.

Enjoy your stay.

Last edited by whynot?; 07-05-2009 at 05:27 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 07-05-2009, 06:23 PM

Great to hear, Whynot?, thank you!!

Alley

Old 07-05-2009, 11:45 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
While we don't know why the Hilton is "out" it is THE BEST KID FRIENDLY RESORT on the island. It is also an outstanding place for adults with kids. You need to rethink your choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
View detailed profiles of: